Starling is a cheeky dude

zoogs

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/recruiting/article_90d89c90-b59f-5722-aac5-59a178cbca17.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Starling watched Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez this season. Martinez is a great quarterback, Starling says, with numbers to prove it.

"But I just felt like I could get the job done as good as him, if not better," says Starling.

"As far as passing goes, a lot of Martinez's balls were getting tipped and he wasn't putting them on the spot," Starling says. "I just think with (Nebraska offensive coordinator) Shawn Watson coaching me and having a lot of time to work on football, I'll be able to get those down.

Holy cow, that is some fire spitting from this upstart recruit that hasn't even set foot on campus as a player yet.

I don't feel like this is typical, at all.

Yeah he's paying lip service respect to Taylor but holy cow. This is different from your usual "I am going to go and compete." This is I'm comin' for you, buddy.

article-0-0A31571C000005DC-849_634x477.jpg

I like the competition, but most i like the fact that theyre saying theyre coming here to take the spot cuz they know theyre better. Whens the last time you saw any of our quarterbacks talk like that. I havent a slight bit of that kind of arrogance since Zac Taylor. He was quietly arrogant, and that's what it takes to play the position. full blown confidence.

It's good that he wants to take the starting job, that he thinks he can do it better than Taylor. Those are probably the same thoughts that were going through Taylor's head last year.

Whoever our QB is next year, I hope they put on enough weight that they can be physical runners. I feel like part of the reason you see guys like Cam Newton or Eric Crouch take a lot of hits and stay healthy throughout the season is because they give as much punishment as they take.

"As far as passing goes, a lot of Martinez's balls were getting tipped and he wasn't putting them on the spot," Starling says. "I just think with (Nebraska offensive coordinator) Shawn Watson coaching me and having a lot of time to work on football, I'll be able to get those down.

I like his confidence, but if his playing is contingent on Watson staying, do we really want Watson to leave? Interesting. Watson stays Bubba plays...Watson goes..Bubba??? (Frankly, I think if I were as good at baseball as everyone says Starling is and if I had that much money staring me in the face-I think I would take the money! He's young and he can always come back and play football if baseball doesn't work out.)

I like his confidence, but if his playing is contingent on Watson staying, do we really want Watson to leave? Interesting. Watson stays Bubba plays...Watson goes..Bubba??? (Frankly, I think if I were as good at baseball as everyone says Starling is and if I had that much money staring me in the face-I think I would take the money! He's young and he can always come back and play football if baseball doesn't work out.)

Dangit ya beat me to it!

Thats exactly what I was going to say!

In the article he talks about how close he is to Wats, does this change anyone's view on getting rid of him? I've never thought wats was the problem. The play calling could use some tweaking for sure but the line and the WR's need better coaching before the quarterbacks IMO.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1171615

There's a quote in a Rivals article where he says he's committed to Nebraska, if Watson were to go, he knows they'd find a suitable replacement, FWIW.