Starling is a cheeky dude

zoogs

In the article he talks about how close he is to Wats, does this change anyone's view on getting rid of him? I've never thought wats was the problem. The play calling could use some tweaking for sure but the line and the WR's need better coaching before the quarterbacks IMO.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1171615

There's a quote in a Rivals article where he says he's committed to Nebraska, if Watson were to go, he knows they'd find a suitable replacement, FWIW.

That's good to know. Did anyone else see the special they did on him (I can't remember what it was on-ESPN or Big Red Wrap Up?) Anyway, the kid sounds like a phenom. It would be great if he pans out for us.

its funny how when martinez says stuff like this he gets slammed for being cocky, but when recruits say it they're confident

I'd say there are a few reasons for that:

1. Martinez wasn't a highly rated quarterback recruit, let alone surefire first rounder in the MLB draft like Starling is.

2. Martinez has shown no ability to be a competent leader so cockiness is just that; cockiness.

3. Taylor really hasn't done anything at Nebraska to deserve to be cocky.

Not saying those are good reasons, but they're reasons, dammit!

• Fire 1

its funny how when martinez says stuff like this he gets slammed for being cocky, but when recruits say it they're confident

1. Martinez wasn't a highly rated quarterback recruit, let alone surefire first rounder in the MLB draft like Starling is.

2. Martinez has shown no ability to be a competent leader so cockiness is just that; cockiness.

i forgot to add that i like the cockiness in our players, i just wish more of them had it

i forgot to add that i like the cockiness in our players, i just wish more of them had it

Kinda hard to be cocky about anything when we perform the way we do.

When Taylor said it he was saying that he was leading 100+ players and that it was his team (which wasn't true), the seniors and players that had actually earned respect in the locker room were slapped in the face. Bubba said he thinks he can come in and physically perform better than Taylor, I think there is a big difference between the two statements. However I still prefer Jamal's confidence and do whatever the team needs attitude over what Bubba said.

I guess I just beleive in letting your play or actions do the bragging rather than your words.

Kinda hard to be cocky about anything when we perform the way we do.

good point, but i think that a "we're gonna kick they're ass one way or another" cockiness would help us perform

)Or the coaches

Ok.. But as far as #2 and #3 go, neither has Bubba Starling.

I think there is a double standard here, but I'm pretty much past the point of caring about it.

As far as Starling goes, I'd be surprised if he ends up at NU, but I'd be even more surprised at him getting any playing time next year if he does actually arrive on campus. He'd have to pass up the most successful freshman QB in Nebraska history, a backup with 2 years of experience, a talented redshirt freshman, and another talented true freshman who will be a spring practice season ahead of him.

I don't care how talented Starling is - his head is going to be spinning when he arrives for fall camp, and there's too much depth at that position for him to earn playing time early in the year.

Not to mention that in the long haul if Bubba does come to Nebraska, his plan is to play both baseball and football. That means a lot of missed spring practices, and probably a lot of time spent away from the football team during the summer and winter months, at least way more than you'd like from a guy who you want to be a championship QB.

That's what we need. That's what Frazier was. That's what Frost was. That's what Crouch was. "Im the man, and i'm coming to take my spot." I like that mentality, it's pretty much that attitude we're missing right now. At least he's making it sound like he's coming.

Wasn't Taylor Martinez quoted the week of the Kansas game, "It's MY team, no one elses," or something to that effect?

That's what we need. That's what Frazier was. That's what Frost was. That's what Crouch was. "Im the man, and i'm coming to take my spot." I like that mentality, it's pretty much that attitude we're missing right now. At least he's making it sound like he's coming.

Wasn't Taylor Martinez quoted the week of the Kansas game, "It's MY team, no one elses," or something to that effect?

There's a big difference between saying "I'm better than Taylor Martinez" and "This team belongs to me".

There's a big difference between saying "I'm better than Taylor Martinez" and "This team belongs to me".

He was trying to assert himself as a leader. He probably would have been more politically correct if he had said, "I needed to get back out there just because it's my huddle, I'm the guy running it." But it's all the same thing. If any of the upperclassmen or anybody on the team took offense to what Taylor said, if their ego was actually hurt by that, they need to grow a pair.

• Fire 1

He was trying to assert himself as a leader. He probably would have been more politically correct if he had said, "I needed to get back out there just because it's my huddle, I'm the guy running it." But it's all the same thing. If any of the upperclassmen or anybody on the team took offense to what Taylor said, if their ego was actually hurt by that, they need to grow a pair.

thank you hercules, i couldn't agree more :thumbs

I applaid his perception that he could have done better, in his mind. TM has a year under his belt and blazing speed, he would still have to beat him out to get to start. I think if TM can't grasp his role on the team and execute the offense better then BO will play someone else thou. After Namath, all public cockiness is old and unwelcomed thou. This could shift TM's focus and drive into a higher gear if he takes it as a personal attack, is that your motivation? In this case I am not so sure it falls under cockiness thou. Seems he was observant on a lot of things that could have been done better. More power to him if he can jump to the next level and preform well but now these comments are just negative public criticism about a future teammate and thats not productive.