The 2011 QB Thread

I thought before the season Zac would be the guy with some package plays for Martinez to run. Basically I thought we had to have him on the field, not nesscarily at QB, but at slot receiver or RB. that way defenses would definately account for him even if he was a decoy.

So for 2011 Im going with TMart, hoping that Carnes/Starling(if he shows up) can unseat him. Regardless of who steps on the field, we are looking at 7-5, 8-4 type of record until our offense manages to do something against a defense.

Martinez will start every game until his third interception, fourth fumble, 30th sack and 12th rushing yard, only to be replaced by Green, who will play until his pass/completion ratio has reached .05 and he has fumbled no less than three times, who will be succeeded by Carnes... but by then the game is most likely out of reach.... Seriously, I hear that Bo has a flow chart and everything.

You obviously don't have good sources. That chart also has delay of game penalties.

• 2 weeks later...

....but i have read on this board and others that some fans are predicting that taylor martinez is the future of NU football for the next couple of years. in my opinion, i just dont see it. if anyone listens to colin cowherd, its called the "eyeball" test. at first, when no teams knew about him, he was unstoppable. then, teams got film on him. then, brick wall. i will just say this. he cannot juke anyone, he cannot run anyone over, he goes down on first contact, he is terrible in the pocket, he zeros in on the number one reciever and if he isnt open he panics and makes terrible descions. the point i am trying to make is that he is not a QB. he is just an athlete playing QB that happens to be a fast sprinter. the one factor that he lacks very much is a leader. a player cannot learn this, cannot be taught this, and if a player does not have this at the QB position, that team is in trouble. NU may be in trouble if one of the new guys dont earn the starting role at QB this coming season. just my opinion. anyone agree or disagree? :dunno

• Fire 1

I think he was in a little deeper than he originally thought; remember the presser where he very calmly said that he really didn't have to do anything to get ready to play at the college level? I don't think that was exactly literally true (he might not have been aware of how much he stepped up his game), but it did show that he probably wasn't exactly aware of how much more difficult it would be to play in the top division of college football. I wouldn't be surprised if the reality grabbed him like a riptide and dragged him out to sea while he spent all of his energy to keep his head above water. Give him the off season to reflect on the season and try to reorganize his thinking about just how unprepared he was and I'll bet he'll be a different sort of player next year.

If not, then, meh, find someone else. Scott Frost was booed his first year as a starter and got shut out once. As bad as things seemed at times, at least they put points on the board in every game this year ;)

• Fire 1

Well I would say "NOT SO FAST MT FRIEND" I want to see what Carnes can do this spring. If he has blood lines to TOUCHDOWN TOMMY, he knows how to win and knows how to get the job down. I think our QB situation for the next couple of years looks really good. Turner, Carnes, Maybe Bubba

Bubba is NOT coming! I wish the conversation about him would just end.

Well I would say "NOT SO FAST MT FRIEND" I want to see what Carnes can do this spring. If he has blood lines to TOUCHDOWN TOMMY, he knows how to win and knows how to get the job down. I think our QB situation for the next couple of years looks really good. Turner, Carnes, Maybe Bubba

I would love to see Brion have his shot, but not every Freshman or RS Freshman can do what Tommie did for nebraska. Taylor will start next season, IMO, but will have a shorter leash than he did this year. He needs to get the job done next year against above average defenses.

....but i have read on this board and others that some fans are predicting that taylor martinez is the future of NU football for the next couple of years. in my opinion, i just dont see it. if anyone listens to colin cowherd, its called the "eyeball" test. at first, when no teams knew about him, he was unstoppable. then, teams got film on him. then, brick wall. i will just say this. he cannot juke anyone, he cannot run anyone over, he goes down on first contact, he is terrible in the pocket, he zeros in on the number one reciever and if he isnt open he panics and makes terrible descions. the point i am trying to make is that he is not a QB. he is just an athlete playing QB that happens to be a fast sprinter. the one factor that he lacks very much is a leader. a player cannot learn this, cannot be taught this, and if a player does not have this at the QB position, that team is in trouble. NU may be in trouble if one of the new guys dont earn the starting role at QB this coming season. just my opinion. anyone agree or disagree? :dunno

Well, I have to say you lost me at the fact you listen to cowturd. That guy is more shock jock than sports radio host. He says crap just for reaction, not necessarily because he believes it. I can't take anyone who listens to that DB seriously.

I hear ya!! I don't think by any means that QB is just gonna be Taylors to have. If it is the case then shame on Bo! There should be a QB competition all spring, summer, and fall at the end of which the best performer gets the job. Taylor should not just be given the job and if this is the case, then I will become one the fans out there that are leaning to getting rid of Bo. Dude has to man up and become a HEAD coach!!

Bo has made it abundantly clear that every position on the field is going to be earned. If anyone thinks that Bo is just going to give the position to Martinez they're kidding themselves.

Also, if anyone thinks that a true Freshman or a Redshirt Freshman is going to come in and out-Martinez Martinez, they are likely also kidding themselves.

However, if anyone does come in and takes the job from Martinez, I'm excited - they'd have to be pretty darned good.

Bo has made it abundantly clear that every position on the field is going to be earned. If anyone thinks that Bo is just going to give the position to Martinez they're kidding themselves.

Also, if anyone thinks that a true Freshman or a Redshirt Freshman is going to come in and out-Martinez Martinez, they are likely also kidding themselves.

However, if anyone does come in and takes the job from Martinez, I'm excited - they'd have to be pretty darned good.

Based on this - that means it's up to Green then...since you don't think a true Fresh or RFresh has a chance, and I don't see Green doing it.

The fact that a RFresh that played WR on scout team the previous year unseated Lee, who'd been in the system for years and showed a number of things in 2009 that lead everyone to believe Lee was 70% going to be the starter, w/ the other 30% going to Green, makes me think we aren't kidding outselves that much to think Carnes could be better than Martinez next year. Is he as good of an athlete? If so, it won't take much to excede him in a few other areas.

I'm a Martinez fan, but what has he done that couldn't be easily overcome by a younger player? It's not like he's a 3rd year starter, with excellent leadership skills, uncanny ability to read defenses, and possesses an enormous knowledge of the offense system. He's just a speady athlete that has a nice throw every now and then. Not exactly hard to find another one of those. We'll have 3 behind him next year. Why would we be kidding ourselves to think one of them could prove himself a better leader, whos a little less indecisive, has equal (or comparable) speed, better vision and can fling the football around at least as good as Martinez?

IMO Lee was more entrenched as the starter going into 2010 than Martinez is in 2011. Lee has the injury and missed spring ball - otherwise me might not be having this discussion.

• Fire 2

Nope, I don't think Green has a chance. He's just not the same athlete Martinez is. Carnes maybe has a chance, but he's the only one I realistically see unseating Martinez.

It seems pretty clear that we put Marty in the starting role in 2010 to prepare him for the 2011 season. I've never heard any "insider" among us definitively state that Lee was incapable of playing last year. The decision was made with the future in mind, not just 2010.