Which team was better?

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted this year's team, but it's a coin flip. Both teams had serious flaws. Both showed promise, though. We're not far off, folks. We can be a contender, next year, if we polish up a few areas. We've mostly beaten ourselves these last two years. We've lost eight games in two years by an average of less than a touchdown. We've lost five of those games by three points or less. If we'd just fix our own errors (penalties, etc) we'd be talking about back-to-back conference titles and BCS games.

We're close. Which team was better? Hard to say. But I like where we're going.

I voted this year's team, but it's a coin flip. Both teams had serious flaws. Both showed promise, though. We're not far off, folks. We can be a contender, next year, if we polish up a few areas. We've mostly beaten ourselves these last two years. We've lost eight games in two years by an average of less than a touchdown. We've lost five of those games by three points or less. If we'd just fix our own errors (penalties, etc) we'd be talking about back-to-back conference titles and BCS games.

We're close. Which team was better? Hard to say. But I like where we're going.

Knapp:

I agree entirely except that I am not certain I like where we are going.

Consider that NU had major problems in 2009 in terms of a) failure to be focused, B) failure to play with passion, c) failure to show up 1/3 of the games, d) huge turnover problems, e) unimaginative offensive game plan, f) inability to adapt play calling during the game, g) fumbles, h) dropped passes and i) undisciplined stupid penalties. In going from 2009 to 2010 you would think that we would have improved in at least half these problem areas... but we did not improve, really, in any of these areas.

My problem with envisioning improvement in the future is the complete lack of improvement in the past (2009 to 2010). Sure we'll have more developed talent in areas (and less in others) --- generally the talent is improving. But when you look at the problems that have not improved... well almost every one of them has their basis in poor coaching. And... this coaching staff has not improved with time (at least very much, if at all).

So... I see a bunch of 7-9 win seasons in the immediate future --- unless, of course, problems a-i magically go away. No indication from the immediate past would suggest that these problems will vanish. Maybe they will. Hope so. But if so, we have no suggestion of such as no progress was made this year at all.

I am basing it striclty what would happen if you lined up each team head to head and played an actual game 2009 vs 2010.....my take

1. The 2009 D-line would have dominated the 2010 O-line. I believe Suh and Crick would have blown up the OL enough that it would be very hard for Taylor to get a good read on the zone. The DE were solid to. LBs would have the speed to cause Taylor read problems too. Plus, O'Hanlon and Asante would be solid tacklers in the secondary.

2. The 2009 offense, of course, would struggle to move the ball consistantly against the 2010 defense too. David was a huge addition and he would be all over Lee and the running game.... a running game that was completely beat up last season.

3. Kicking game is obvioulsy a push

theme here is that both offenses would struggle , but I think that Suh-Crick is much better than Crick-Steinkuhler and I think O'Hanlon-Asante a little better than Osbourne-Cassidy.....outside of David, the rest of the defense is a push, since they were the same guys.

2010 team wins this mythical game 17 - 10.

Last year we got better as the year rolled along. This year, we got worse and lost three of our last four games. Last year, we really were the second best team in the Big 12 only second to a team playing for a NC. This year, OU; OSU; Mizzou; and A&M all finished ranked above us. Last year, we didn't lead the nation in fumbles. This year, yeah. I really see no comparison. Last year's team was by far better than this year's team.

Two things went through my mind when I made the comparison D-line and QB play. The D-line obviously was affected without SUH, which I think was best shown by the stat of TFL and sacks. The QB play was similar: inconsistent. T-Magic had Heisman caliber performances this year, but also had performances like Washington(v.2) and SDSU. So my vote was for last years team eventhough it doesn't say it in the polls.