JBD It had to happen

OK, ok I had to do it. It is the 900 lb gorilla sitting in the corner of the room, that everyone has seen it and knows it's there, said something, but now is your chance to really get it off your chest.

JORGE BRIAN DIAZ

What the hell. How many pushups/pullups can you do? Are ya benching 185 or squating 250 yet. Game after game I see you get thrown around like a ragdoll, and yet can still faintly remember you owning Cole Aldrich last year. What gives. Brandon Ubel looks like friggin Dwight Howard compared to you now.

And for the love of Allah DUNK the DAMN BALL

OK, ok I had to do it. It is the 900 lb gorilla sitting in the corner of the room, that everyone has seen it and knows it's there, said something, but now is your chance to really get it off your chest.

JORGE BRIAN DIAZ

What the hell. How many pushups/pullups can you do? Are ya benching 185 or squating 250 yet. Game after game I see you get thrown around like a ragdoll, and yet can still faintly remember you owning Cole Aldrich last year. What gives. Brandon Ubel looks like friggin Dwight Howard compared to you now.

And for the love of Allah DUNK the DAMN BALL

Right on man, Right on.

How in the hell Ubel even playing. Everytime I watch him he looks like a DII player at best. Hell, beranek was a DII player for two years and seems have adjusted to DI pretty good.

Aright I have digested his play from last night over a 24 houe period and this is what I can come up with.

Again, we as fans, got to see Diaz display of finess and touch with a bunch of early touches in and out of traffic. He came out like a man on fire but almost vanished down the stretch. Now I know his scoring wasn't needed or that other players scored or were unable to get him the ball. Again I will give him props for his touch and a good game.

But this thread wasn't created to give pats on the back. Two simple things again were proven last night.

1. Will this clown ever attack the boards with a purpose? TWO, as in the number of rebounds he had last night. When this kid gets sent to the pine against Tech I hope he watches Caleb Walker attack the glass. He could learn something. Thhis needs to be resolved quickly. In fact all of the bigs could use a kick in the ass when it comes to this, but Diaz should be a double double all night.

2. Two of his four early baskets there was a chance for him to throw it down. Attack the rim with some attitude. My gosh. Not only do dunks get the crowd into a game, but they also show the opponents that you OWN the rim andwill be a force. Hopefully we can instill some aggressiveness at somee point and Brian will show a little more fire on the floor.

Same ole, same ole when it comes to nitpicking like I had said a good game. But in honor of the thread and the cuss words that still came out my mouth about his play in the win, I needed to get this off my chest again. I have a feeling that this may be a reoccurring theme for Brian, but we can hope for a change.

Yep 7 for 8 and 14 points, we better not see that reoccur, that would be just terrible. God he better shoot better then that, because if he doesn't then he is just not good. Really dude either watch the game and count some makes or bring a stat sheet to fill while the game is going on, sometimes our other guys get rebounds he has tipped to them or is going for. He is consistent scorer down low, get over it, your wrong.

Yep 7 for 8 and 14 points, we better not see that reoccur, that would be just terrible. God he better shoot better then that, because if he doesn't then he is just not good. Really dude either watch the game and count some makes or bring a stat sheet to fill while the game is going on, sometimes our other guys get rebounds he has tipped to them or is going for. He is consistent scorer down low, get over it, your wrong.

Disagree. We have enough people on this team that can shoot. We need Diaz to get rebounds and be physical. The points just come as an extra. If you are the tallest person on the court you should be getting more than 2 rebounds a game. Yeah he had 14 but how many of those points were from posting up and playing stronger than the other guy??? Maybe 2 points out of the 14. The rest were because of nice angle passes set up by someone else.

Disagree. It's well known CU's weakness is inside, frankly it was expected the bigs have a good game against a team like CU: loaded on guards, no inside presence.

You want to talk stats, how about this: 85-151 (.563). That's Diaz's stat line on the season. Last year he shot 52%. 56% is not terrible, and Diaz has stepped it up a little bit. This certainly isn't the worst percentage in the league, BUT if you look at teams with strong inside game (which is the sole reason Doc plays JBD, he wants to run his offense starting on the inside), those teams' big man almost always shoots over 60%. Also, a lot of those guys (Morris for KU) will shoot 15 footers and even 3's, JBD doesn't shoot past 5 foot. (Almeida shoots 66%, just for comparison)

Here's the stat that's really alarming: Rebounding totals.

Walker - 93

Diaz - 85

McCray - 80

Jeter - 71

Diaz should be dominating the boards, but he's not. I have no clue why.

I'm not going to completely rip Diaz, because I think he's better this year. It's just so frustrating to watch him sometimes. If he throws it down instead of laying it up even half the times he has the opportunity, he'd be shooting at a much higher percentage, and if he'd aggressively crash the boards he could easily get 10 a night. This is the guy who went for 20 and 10 against Cole Aldrich last year, that's what's so frustrating.

Disagree. We have enough people on this team that can shoot. We need Diaz to get rebounds and be physical. The points just come as an extra. If you are the tallest person on the court you should be getting more than 2 rebounds a game. Yeah he had 14 but how many of those points were from posting up and playing stronger than the other guy??? Maybe 2 points out of the 14. The rest were because of nice angle passes set up by someone else.

Who freaking cares if he posted up and scored or didn't, he scored, we have not scored significant points for a long time. He did haven't to get his own rebounds because he made the basket. Sure maybe he missed a few rebounds, but he scored 14, you can try to say what you want but I will take 14 points and 2 rebounds from him every game. Comparing him to Morris in that other post is asinine by the way. We need points, other guys get rebounds, we are averaging more offensive and defensive in league play, so who gives a $@ who gets them. Seriously go to a game! Guarantee I have gone to more. Watching someone score 14 for us is a big deal, he shoots 56% I mean seriously shut up. Who cares about the passes and how he scored he scored.

Disagree. It's well known CU's weakness is inside, frankly it was expected the bigs have a good game against a team like CU: loaded on guards, no inside presence.

You want to talk stats, how about this: 85-151 (.563). That's Diaz's stat line on the season. Last year he shot 52%. 56% is not terrible, and Diaz has stepped it up a little bit. This certainly isn't the worst percentage in the league, BUT if you look at teams with strong inside game (which is the sole reason Doc plays JBD, he wants to run his offense starting on the inside), those teams' big man almost always shoots over 60%. Also, a lot of those guys (Morris for KU) will shoot 15 footers and even 3's, JBD doesn't shoot past 5 foot. (Almeida shoots 66%, just for comparison)

Walker - 93

Diaz - 85

McCray - 80

Jeter - 71

I'm not going to completely rip Diaz, because I think he's better this year. It's just so frustrating to watch him sometimes. If he throws it down instead of laying it up even half the times he has the opportunity, he'd be shooting at a much higher percentage, and if he'd aggressively crash the boards he could easily get 10 a night. This is the guy who went for 20 and 10 against Cole Aldrich last year, that's what's so frustrating.

It funny your quote about 60 percent, why don't you take a look at the stats in the Big12 there is only 2 that shoot over 60 and they are both pros, and where is Diaz, ohh that's right he is 9th in percentage in the league. And second that stat isn't alarming Walker gets rebounds, why is that bad? He gets rebounds and scores, but since Diaz doesn't get them its bad? Sometimes others get rebounds to.

I don't think anyone can say Diaz is a bad player. That is not why people are frustrated. It is because he could be so much better. He is a big guy who has good control. If he is able to become more aggressive and fight for some more rebounds, along with scoring 14 points, he will be an incredible threat. If he fought for some more offensive rebounds and then fought for a dunk, he would scoring 20 points without trouble.

I have been to most of the home games and watching him play you can tell he is talented, but it just feels like something is missing. Its like he is on the edge of becoming a game changing player but just won't cross that line. It kind of feels like he needs some one to punch him in the face and get him pissed off. Show some damn emotion and play with it.

• Fire 2

Diaz is a pansy down low. That doesnt mean he isnt a good player. I like Diaz but i agree with others, the guy is a powder puff and doesnt take advantage of his size. He is a good player, witha soft touch but he lacks in some key parts of being a big man. Being a big man doesnt always mean7/8 shooting.. it might mean 6 points 10 boards. We might need him to score a few points because of this teams inability but a big guy doesnt always need to score, he does however need to rebound.

• Fire 1

KingBlank-

First off, I'm pretty sure you can't garauntee you've been to more games than some of us, unless you have to been to all 18. If you have, then you are correct, otherwise, careful of what you "garauntee".

I specifically said "I'm not going to rip Diaz because he's gotten better." My problem is how badly he is underacheiving. I'm happy Walker rebounds like he does, I was simply pointing out that if a guy like Walker can get that many, why the hell is Diaz not getting more. For the most part it has not been a problem, but when a guy has the potential to get 12 boards or more a game and is only coming down with 2, that troubles some people.

The 60% thing, you talk about league play but I was talking about the whole season. Diaz has 14 non-con games under his belt (where he should be shooting a higher percentage) and only 4 conference games played. And as for the whole thing about the two guys being pros - talk to a pro scout and hear what most of them have to say. Diaz has EVERYTHING to make NBA teams drool EXCEPT aggression (which, by the way, is what this thread is about - his lack of aggression). You have to search extremely hard to find a guy of his size that can move like him and has his skill set - there's a handful of guys at most in college basketball right now like him. If he were aggressive, he'd be averaging a double double no problem. Some guys (smarter than me) believe he'd be a solid 20 and teen guy every night.

Taking 14 and 2 from him every night is laughable. Just because he works at getting 4 or 5 more rebounds doesn't mean his offense will suffer.

Walker - 93

Diaz - 85

McCray - 80

Jeter - 71

It funny your quote about 60 percent, why don't you take a look at the stats in the Big12 there is only 2 that shoot over 60 and they are both pros, and where is Diaz, ohh that's right he is 9th in percentage in the league. And second that stat isn't alarming Walker gets rebounds, why is that bad? He gets rebounds and scores, but since Diaz doesn't get them its bad? Sometimes others get rebounds to.

:facepalm: You completley missed the point here. It's great that Walker rebounds like he does. The alarming thing is Diaz has 85 boards in 18 games. He isn't even getting 5 boards a game. This hasn't hurt NU too bad yet (although I can think of a couple games that would have been won if it weren't for second chance points *cough* Mizzou and KU *cough*) but it's something that should get fixed before it is a problem.

• Fire 1

This is what the thread is about. If you(kingblank) read the whole thread you'd see the purpose of it. A LOT of Husker fans see the athleticism and skills that Diaz has, but A LOT of Husker fans also see so many things this guy could improve on and get better at. Too many times we have seen this guy turn in a respectable game and then back it up with poor performances in games where he should be so much more of a factor.

If you would gladly take Diaz getting 14 points and 2 rebounds, I will guarantee you will see a record that much mirrors last season. I would be giddy over numbers the exact opposite much like bballbacker. Put it this way if his rebounding numbers are up that probably means opponents offensive rebounding numbers are lower. A stat that has killed NU since the late 90's.

As far as his FG% he shot 62%, 69-111 in the non conference and lets admit it he SHOULD. Other than USC who did they play that had a solid big guy? In the four conference games so far his FG% is dropped to 40%, 16-40. Last year he shot 53%, 54-102, in nonconference and 50%,77-153, in conference. He played well at the beginning of conference and faded down the stretch. Why? Because he broke down after being pushed around. So your FG stat is pretty bunk. He may be shooting well now, but expect that to dip unless Matt Hill gets matched up on him the whole Texas game(talk about mirror images) as he goes up against much more physical front courts of KSU, A and M, Ku again, Baylor, and Okie Lite.

See that leads to more of our frustration physicality. You want Diaz to be a nonfactor, just start leaning on him and pushing him around.

IF he can do this, there is a chance, albeit still small in my eyes, that we could chat about the NCAA tourney. Until then there is this thread to voice our displeasur