Indoor Practice Facility Under Construction

knapplc

This should have been done ages ago. Too bad it's taken this long, but hopefully this will help us get a leg up on Big 10 foes.

NU taking swing at warm-weather schools with new facility

By KRIS KNOWLTON

Snowbound college baseball and softball teams have had to go to extreme measures to keep pace with their warm-weather counterparts.

Now, Nebraska is taking another big swing at the competition.

The price tag for the Huskers' new indoor complex under construction at Haymarket Park is almost $5 million, and once completed this fall, the 22,000-square-foot facility should help NU compete with schools who begin practice without worrying about the forecast.

"We're Nebraska. If we're going to compete in baseball and softball, we're going to have to have one of the best," baseball coach Mike Anderson said of the facilities. "You can't compete in a northern climate without something like this."

This should have been done ages ago. Too bad it's taken this long, but hopefully this will help us get a leg up on Big 10 foes.

By KRIS KNOWLTON

Snowbound college baseball and softball teams have had to go to extreme measures to keep pace with their warm-weather counterparts.

The price tag for the Huskers' new indoor complex under construction at Haymarket Park is almost $5 million, and once completed this fall, the 22,000-square-foot facility should help NU compete with schools who begin practice without worrying about the forecast.

"We're Nebraska. If we're going to compete in baseball and softball, we're going to have to have one of the best," baseball coach Mike Anderson said of the facilities. "You can't compete in a northern climate without something like this."

Now if we can just find a better baseball coach. I really think Anderon is a horrible coach.

• Fire 1

By KRIS KNOWLTON

Now if we can just find a better baseball coach. I really think Anderon is a horrible coach.

^^^^^^^^ yep.... so unless im blind, while skimming through this, is there a projection for completion?

By KRIS KNOWLTON

^^^^^^^^ yep.... so unless im blind, while skimming through this, is there a projection for completion?

I thought I saw "next fall"

By KRIS KNOWLTON

And your suggestions for replacements are....?

By KRIS KNOWLTON

Me. You. My Dog. The steak I had for dinner this evening. You name the replacement.

By KRIS KNOWLTON

I wouldnt mind seeing erstad get the honors. I know he needs to cut his teeth but he may know of an "up and coming" pitching coach to be able to step in a build up the program. i dont think its any worse than what is going on right now. although i do feel bad for northern schools and their coaches. it is def hard to recruit. and dealing with the good players not only going to south schools but competing against the majors as well would be a tough job. but i really would like to see erstad get the nod.

By KRIS KNOWLTON

Erstad for starters.....you think our current baseball coach is doing well for our program? Our team has slowly declined in conference play since the second year of his coaching career. The only reason he put together a 20- 7 Big 12 record his first year was because he inherited a damn good team from Coach VanHorn.

To guru and 95... What has Erstad done in the coaching ranks to show that he is ready to take over a major program? He doesn't deserve the head job right now at a major school.. If he does well as an assistant for a few years, maybe.. But if he does well as an assistant here, Anderson won't be gone.

So if his 03 team was only because Van Horn, why was the 05 year so damn good? Nobody has been able to answer that question for me. All they say is because of Childress.. well heres a good question that I respond to that with.. What has Childress done to prove he's good at A&M..? Absolutely nothing.. Sure, they may both be great excellent assitant coaches, but not great head coaches.. However, Erstad is not the answer, and Childress was not the answer.. The problem I have with everyone calling for Anderson's head is that they don't know who to bring in. Would we bring in Will Shields for our head football coach because he played here and had a good career? No.. So why would we do that with the baseball program?

To guru and 95... What has Erstad done in the coaching ranks to show that he is ready to take over a major program? He doesn't deserve the head job right now at a major school.. If he does well as an assistant for a few years, maybe.. But if he does well as an assistant here, Anderson won't be gone.

So if his 03 team was only because Van Horn, why was the 05 year so damn good? Nobody has been able to answer that question for me. All they say is because of Childress.. well heres a good question that I respond to that with.. What has Childress done to prove he's good at A&M..? Absolutely nothing.. Sure, they may both be great excellent assitant coaches, but not great head coaches.. However, Erstad is not the answer, and Childress was not the answer.. The problem I have with everyone calling for Anderson's head is that they don't know who to bring in. Would we bring in Will Shields for our head football coach because he played here and had a good career? No.. So why would we do that with the baseball program?

I detect some frustration. You make great points and I think the majority of the "message board" fans would like to see Anderson gone. However, I don't think that is the opinion of the overall majority. Nebraska will have some talent this year. If Nebraska doesn't at least make it to a regional, then maybe TO should find a different coach. Personally, I think this years team will surprise a lot of folks. GO BIG RED!

I detect some frustration. You make great points and I think the majority of the "message board" fans would like to see Anderson gone. However, I don't think that is the opinion of the overall majority. Nebraska will have some talent this year. If Nebraska doesn't at least make it to a regional, then maybe TO should find a different coach. Personally, I think this years team will surprise a lot of folks. GO BIG RED!

There is plenty of frustration. If you have a boring, rainy day, sift through the past 2 or 3 years worth of baseball posts on here (would be a lot nicer if there was still a baseball forum...).. It's the same thing from people who don't get it. They always say fire Anderson. Anderson never should of gotten the job in the 1st place. Should of hired Childress. Blah, blah, blah. ALL WRONG. Childress made it known he wanted to get back to Texas... so even if we give him the job, it goes to Mike a couple years later..... Childress has done nothing at A&M to show he's a good coach.. He has so much talent and can't get it done. It's just frustrating.

As far as this season goes, I think they could surprise a lot of people also. Erik Sorensen has NU as his darkhorse team in the big 12... I've said that the team needs to do something or TO can clean house and get us a fresh start going to the big 10.. but the attitude like Vince has is a joke. Oh, anyone can do better. BS.