Recruit not happy about the Marvin situation

Not to defend Bo or the fact that this kid didn't know about what changes were coming, but Chatelain is just pushing his own agenda. Not only is he painting the article itself, but he probably asked the kid leading questions trying to create the controversy. Is the kid upset, yes, but does he feel like he got completely screwed and doesn't want to come to Nebraska anymore? I don't think so...

We're also not the only place going through this sort of thing. Scott Frost appears to be considering leaving Oregon. He has some recruits that like him out in Oregon, and if he decides to bolt they'll be stuck too. There are probably some Indiana recruits that feel the same way about Corey Raymond. I think you have to do everything you can to avoid these situations, but who knows what timeline Bo is on or what other factors are at play. Maybe Watson isn't gone yet, maybe he's only gone if Bo secures a commitment from one of his coaching targets. Hard to say...

+1

Dirk is a douche bag and I hope people aren't getting fooled by the **** suckers at the OWH who very badly want Bo out because they were in the Gill camp from day 1. Make no mistake. . .they had an article the first day questioning if Bo was the right hire and pointing out the time he blew up at Snyder and wondered when he'd do it again. They've constantly pushed a negative agenda against him. When was the last time you saw a story talking about all the good he does? Where was the story stating that Football 101 was canceled because BC threatened a law suit because football 101 was his brain child?

Did anyone else notice that only a DB recruit was quoted in that story? Perhaps its because all of the recruits knew the offense was changing directions but the Sanders thing was the only surprise that cropped up and it was all Sanders doing. . that had nothing to do with Bo. And of course. . .they're trying to make it look like it was Bo's fault. The OWH is dealing in half truths here people.

whether the OWH has an agenda is pure speculation...the fact remains, Bo has committed a series of blunders that is detracting from the integrity of the program...there may not be as much "fire" here as some perceive, but the fact that there is "smoke" is undeniable......

How has he detracted from the integrity of the program? Give me an example?

WOW.....what planet have you been on son?? his sideline antics, inability to give decent pressers and now this issue of not being up front with a recruit......you don't just can a coach (who was strongly tied to a recruit) the next day and not tell the kid it is coming....tell me you, as a 17 year old kid would not be upset by this.....amazing.... :facepalm:

Ok. . .lets go to school now. Integrity as nothing to do with yelling a some refs or give a decent presser. It has everything to do with being honest and doing what you say your going to do. Unless I'm unaware of something, he's done just that. Even with the Marvin deal there was still a chance that he would still be at NU until they knew of all the logistics of the situation. Why do you think Els wasn't interviewed until after Sanders resigned? Don't assume that the OWH is giving you the facts. The offensive kids knew well in advance there were going to be changes to the scheme and possibly some of the staff. The didn't know the specifics but they weren't in the dark.

integrity

H

in·teg·ri·ty

   /ɪnˈtɛgrɪti/ Show Spelled[in-teg-ri-tee] Show IPA

–noun

adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

good for you, you have learned how to spell and use a dictionary...now for that course in logic you failed??

Its either your on board or not. If your not than root for another team.

I don't think there are a lit of people that know what the hell is going g on behind close doors.

Bo didn't lie during his teleconference about a staff member getting fired or anybody getting hired. Last time I checked resigning is totally different than getting fired and nobody has been announced as the new DB or LB coach.

Bo did say that nobody has been hired "just yet".....key wording there fellas

Meh. "Fired" vs. "resigned" is mostly a semantic debate. I don't like that Bo parses words like Bill Clinton sometimes, but.... there are times when it's not the worst thing in the world.

Yep... he is the captain. But... borrowing from the metaphor... it is time for the Husker faithful fans to have a mutiny and get a new captain.

I agree that Pelini was hired at a time of desperation. Now... we need to bring in an established, experienced head coach who has demonstrated integrity, certifiable ability to lead, and who has had past success in leading young men, in serving as an ambassador for a university with distinction and who has had on-field success. I'd like to think that NU still could attract such a candidate. Maybe not. But I say lets try. I have seen enough of Bo.... and he is not what NU needs for their captain.

A side note... if I were the AD, I would petition the NCAA for a blanket release of all the binding letters for all 20 recruits so that the players are free to go wherever they desire. They came in under false pretense and it is only fair that they have options in view of the manner in which they were played.

I've read a lot of your posts, and I think you are an informed fan with valuable insights and contributions to this board. I think you're coming from a good place, but not one that is fully acknowledging the realities of college football as it exists in its modern form.

Man, a lot of shady stuff goes on out there. Now, just because things are the way they are doesn't mean they are the way they should be. I understand that. But what kind of stuff do you think is going on during recruiting visits at numerous schools all across the country? Some co-eds perhaps? A touch of Jim Beam for a 17 year old kid at a raging party where older women are paying an awful lot of attention to the star WR recruit, maybe a little powder...or a watch? Some keys to a car parked up at the airport in long term....or maybe a new job for a parent at a university? Confusion over the status of an assistent coach seems like a much weaker example of a lack of integrity than the above examples.

You're talking about Pelini like he swindled 5 million dollars from late stage Alzheimer’s patients. I think you are grossly overreacting to a situation that, while being unfortunate, is not grounds for the indictment you seem intent on latching onto the NU HC. Pelini hardly has the market cornered on borderline questionable behavior. In fact, I'd say he's mostly guilty of having bad diplomacy skills. Where Mack Brown excels in doling out charming, aww shucks sort of asides, Bo can't hide his irritation with the media. He isn't a palm greaser. I guarantee old Mack would've lathered up his patented kindly old uncle/grandpa act and smiled and grinned the pants off the media and shut this thing down before it even began. Instead, Bo just sneered at Dirk with his usual mixture of scorn and disgust, and this is the second article he writes after it. Influenced by some irritation? I dunno. It's a possibility.

As for the bolded, that's just completely ridiculous. These kids were told they had an opportunity for a scholarship at a university, and an opportunity to play for a school that is sending nine kids to the NFL combine this year and boast the NFL rookie of the year for this year as an alum. You act like they were promised land and freedom, only to be shackled upon arrival and forced into 18 hour days of labor with meager gruel as sustenance. Take a step back, and breathe.

Sanders who was recruiting Charles Jackson and Damian Stafford did not visit these two recruits in the final weeks of recruiting so these recruits should've been told by the NU staff whttp://www.omaha.com/article/20110203/BIGRED/702039777hat was going on.....you would think.

Actually, Jackson was recruited by Beck and JP.

According to Rivals Beck, JP, and Sanders doesn't even have Charles Jackson listed under Commitments.

Sean Callahan said that Sanders didn't visit Jackson the last few weeks of recruit so I figured he was being recruited by Sanders.

EDIT: According to this link Jackson talks about Sanders say this

“I still want to know, out of respect,” Jackson said. “I still want to know. You don't just jump up and leave and not tell the guy you recruited. I don't think that was right.”

So maybe Sanders did recruit him? Also reading back on a lot of HuskersIllustraded articles Sanders visited Jackson a lot and Sanders was mentioned the most out of all of the Husker coaches in the articles.

If I'm wrong oh well life goes on and I'll admit that I'm wrong lol

Jackson's situation was kind of unique. He said his recruiting caoches were Beck and JP. tWhen he visited, he spent most of his time wih Ekeler. But mostly, he was in contact with Sanders, who visited him in TX a while back.

Not to defend Bo or the fact that this kid didn't know about what changes were coming, but Chatelain is just pushing his own agenda. Not only is he painting the article itself, but he probably asked the kid leading questions trying to create the controversy. Is the kid upset, yes, but does he feel like he got completely screwed and doesn't want to come to Nebraska anymore? I don't think so...

We're also not the only place going through this sort of thing. Scott Frost appears to be considering leaving Oregon. He has some recruits that like him out in Oregon, and if he decides to bolt they'll be stuck too. There are probably some Indiana recruits that feel the same way about Corey Raymond. I think you have to do everything you can to avoid these situations, but who knows what timeline Bo is on or what other factors are at play. Maybe Watson isn't gone yet, maybe he's only gone if Bo secures a commitment from one of his coaching targets. Hard to say...

+1

Dirk is a douche bag and I hope people aren't getting fooled by the **** suckers at the OWH who very badly want Bo out because they were in the Gill camp from day 1. Make no mistake. . .they had an article the first day questioning if Bo was the right hire and pointing out the time he blew up at Snyder and wondered when he'd do it again. They've constantly pushed a negative agenda against him. When was the last time you saw a story talking about all the good he does? Where was the story stating that Football 101 was canceled because BC threatened a law suit because football 101 was his brain child?

Did anyone else notice that only a DB recruit was quoted in that story? Perhaps its because all of the recruits knew the offense was changing directions but the Sanders thing was the only surprise that cropped up and it was all Sanders doing. . that had nothing to do with Bo. And of course. . .they're trying to make it look like it was Bo's fault. The OWH is dealing in half truths here people.

whether the OWH has an agenda is pure speculation...the fact remains, Bo has committed a series of blunders that is detracting from the integrity of the program...there may not be as much "fire" here as some perceive, but the fact that there is "smoke" is undeniable......

How has he detracted from the integrity of the program? Give me an example?

WOW.....what planet have you been on son?? his sideline antics, inability to give decent pressers and now this issue of not being up front with a recruit......you don't just can a coach (who was strongly tied to a recruit) the next day and not tell the kid it is coming....tell me you, as a 17 year old kid would not be upset by this.....amazing.... :facepalm:

Ok. . .lets go to school now. Integrity as nothing to do with yelling a some refs or give a decent presser. It has everything to do with being honest and doing what you say your going to do. Unless I'm unaware of something, he's done just that. Even with the Marvin deal there was still a chance that he would still be at NU until they knew of all the logistics of the situation. Why do you think Els wasn't interviewed until after Sanders resigned? Don't assume that the OWH is giving you the facts. The offensive kids knew well in advance there were going to be changes to the scheme and possibly some of the staff. The didn't know the specifics but they weren't in the dark.

integrity

H

in·teg·ri·ty

   /ɪnˈtɛgrɪti/ Show Spelled[in-teg-ri-tee] Show IPA

–noun

adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

good for you, you have learned how to spell and use a dictionary...now for that course in logic you failed??

I won't comment about the make believe world you live in where you can just interpret the meaning of things without knowing how the real world does.

The way Coach Pelini handled this leaves alot to be desired. It seems that the mentoring lessons by Moglia didn't stick.

I also agree that Dirk is still pissy about Wednesday and is pushing his own agenda with this article.

Sanders judgement and character should also be called out because it was his "flirting" with the law that forced this issue.

Maybe we should get Bob Hurley as a head coach. He's that guy that just got his 1,000th win coaching basketball in inner city Jersey. The kids have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He's a high integrity guy. I know he coaches basketball - but he could get a couple good assistants (where integrity doesn't seem to matter to guys like Hunter94 since he hasn't even mentioned Marvin yet). As the head football coach, Hurley could usher in a new era of NU football...one where he'd help men turn their lives around and contribute positively to society.

Regardless of our losses, we'd ALL be winners in God's eyes - and that's all that really matters in the end.

:sarcasm (but do I really even need to note it)

This looks really bad on Bo, the football team and the University. As a fan, I feel embarrased today.

I understand he may not have had much of a choice to not discuss Univeristy issues with a recruit, but had to be a better way to handle this. How about calling Jackson as soon as the official statement was made? Bo thinks everyone love him, and him alone. Again, his huge head gets in the way.

I know Bo is a young Head coach, he will make mistakes. But, he doesnt seem to learn from his past mistakes (much like our QB's), and that is concerning.

This looks really bad on Bo, the football team and the University. As a fan, I feel embarrased today.

I understand he may not have had much of a choice to not discuss Univeristy issues with a recruit, but had to be a better way to handle this. How about calling Jackson as soon as the official statement was made? Bo thinks everyone love him, and him alone. Again, his huge head gets in the way.

I know Bo is a young Head coach, he will make mistakes. But, he doesnt seem to learn from his past mistakes (much like our QB's), and that is concerning.

Honestly, I don't think Bo could care any less about what people think about him.

I don't by any means think a newspaper should roll over and play dead. However they're past the point of trying to ask objective questions. Thats why it pisses me off so much. They're trashing what it really means to be a journalist. The slant on the story is ridiculous. Dirk it trying to grandstand. Part of the problem is no one is a reporter anymore. . .they all want to be a columnist.

I'll also admit that Bo needs to work on his PR. .. but to insinuate that he's running a dirty program is just a flat out lie. Even questioning his integrity is a huge...HUGE.. ...stretch. We don't over sign, if we realize a player isn't panning out we tell him to look around well in advance, we don't have scandals of kids getting their homework done by tutors or coaches taking tests for them. Hell we haven't even had to cover up any rapes and harassment leading to suicides. We haven't even had a good supplement scandal that puts 15 players in the hospital. The worst we deal with is some alcohol related offenses, and yelling at refs. Oh. . I guess we did have that one coach who got into trouble and of course we all know that's Bo's fault for being a man of no morals.

• Fire 2

Yep... he is the captain. But... borrowing from the metaphor... it is time for the Husker faithful fans to have a mutiny and get a new captain.

I agree that Pelini was hired at a time of desperation. Now... we need to bring in an established, experienced head coach who has demonstrated integrity, certifiable ability to lead, and who has had past success in leading young men, in serving as an ambassador for a university with distinction and who has had on-field success. I'd like to think that NU still could attract such a candidate. Maybe not. But I say lets try. I have seen enough of Bo.... and he is not what NU needs for their captain.

A side note... if I were the AD, I would petition the NCAA for a blanket release of all the binding letters for all 20 recruits so that the players are free to go wherever they desire. They came in under false pretense and it is only fair that they have options in view of the manner in which they were played.

So, not only do you want to fire Bo, you also want to hamstring his successor by releasing ALL of the recently signed recruits. Nice.

Of course the hope would be that the recruits would in fact stay. They would not be bound to stay --- having had committed to coaches that they thought were going to coach them who, in fact were already gone. This is only fair... and, in seeing the new coaches one would hope that they would opt to stay. But forcing a kid to stay when they came under false pretense is not fair.

How about calling Jackson as soon as the official statement was made? Bo thinks everyone love him, and him alone. Again, his huge head gets in the way.

Maybe because he has 120 or so other guys on the roster as well? Do each get a call? Why just Jackson? When did we annoint him? Bo leads a TEAM

Um, ya i think Bo can call the only player Sanders recruited this year. A 3 minute phone call. I expected that out of my coach.

Nebula,

Sorry, shoudl have said "Bo thinks all players/recruits love him".

Not good at all, I continue to support Bo through every tough time that's happened since he's started but my God these are starting to build up, and build up quick and it's all about character...I think eventually we will get to a point where we are not going to want Bo around and realize the kind of person he is..I still support him but wow

i think you are spot on...integrity is more important here than winning at all costs...this sucks, it really does....wake up BO, your reputation is on the line for all to see.

To both Hunter and the Bobfather.... you two have been faithful, insightful and wonderful contributors to this board. All three of us(and many others too) have been posting for quite some time now and we all love the Huskers...

When people like us... died in the wool Husker fans of the first order are now coming to realize that this Pelini thing must come to an end... well this indicates that the problems now are regarding character and integrity.

While I am embarrassed and saddened by what NU football has become under Bo... I am encouraged that there are still Husker faithful --- like you two guys who recognize that NU integrity is something that is more important than wins and losses.

I support the program... of course. What is best for the program at this point is to not stop with the OC and some assistants. Lets start this thing over with a new staff. Lets restore integrity to NU.

robsker, as always your posts are N-sightful, but we all know, especially you, that the ship has been re-launched and Pelini is now the captain. the state of Husker football had fallen so far, that we quickly embraced the first viable coach we could find, hence Pelini, i believe, was hired with probably only an eye to turning things around and fast! in that desperate moment to right the ship, i doubt there was much character evaluation considered when picking a new coach, obviously Callahan was missing some aspects of what we wanted in a HC as well, so once again, we don't get the whole package in Pelini that we all had hoped for.

now, what happens next is up to Bo. this time around i don't think just winning will be enough, this guy has got to get his head right and show some integrity...it needs to start now.

Wow, an awful lot of butthurt going on here. While I agree that Bo has some learning and is certainly lacking in the PR department, it's not like the whole program is a train wreck. I'd bet you two were bitching about how C******n, Solich, Osborne....... all did their jobs. You two just seem to always find something to be pissed about.

This is a very delicate situation with no clear protocol on how to handle it. Not everyone was going to be happy with the outcome, especially when dealing with a bunch of fickle, coddled 17-23 year olds. Was it handled the best way possible, maybe, maybe not. This apparently is on Sanders, he apparently did something which lead to his resignation (or dismissal), lets not forget that.

A lot of people need to breathe and leave the message boards alone. Bo is probably the best thing to happen to Nebraska in a long time. We dont know the whole story.

Jeez some people are just never happy and have to bitch about the stupidest things. Bo didn't do this, Bo didn't say this, or Bo didn't handle that this way. As long as Bo is winning football games and getting highly rated players here and developing them and keeping then out of trouble I could give a rats ass on other issues.

If these rumors are correct that Watson is out of here than he's getting the big picture that our offense has been hurting us for 2 years straight and wants that fixed.