Brown to retire??

Ron Brown personifies Nebraska Football. Anyone thinking his departure is "no big deal" should seriously consider becoming a fan of another team.

You are so right it's scary. He is a wonderful person and a great representative of Nebraska football and the University of Nebraska

GBR

I wouldn't see his departure as a terribly big deal. He's a good position coach, but I could do without all the other (jesusy) baggage. As a tight ends coach, he wouldn't be difficult to replace.

It's apparent that you are not familiar with the Christian Athletic Association. Brown is a big supporter of this association. I am by no means a religious fanatic but what is wrong with him being proud of his religious beliefs? Like other's have stated.....recruits have commented on his beliefs and that is one of the major reasons these same recruits liked Coach Brown.

It's apparent that you are not familiar with the Christian Athletic Association. Brown is a big supporter of this association. I am by no means a religious fanatic but what is wrong with him being proud of his religious beliefs? Like other's have stated.....recruits have commented on his beliefs and that is one of the major reasons these same recruits liked Coach Brown.

I'm well aware of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and his (as well as others) association with it. I'm just not that keen on it is all.

I'm well aware of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and his (as well as others) association with it. I'm just not that keen on it is all.

The point everyone is making is that it really doesn't matter whether or not YOU are keen on it. Many good players recruited by Brown are, and losing that is a huge detriment to the team. You're basically saying Brown isn't a big loss because of his beliefs, which is not only bigoted but completely ill-founded. His beliefs, as many have stated, have helped secure us some awesome recruits. And more important, he's been a huge part of Nebraska football and a great role model/coach. You are undermining everything he's done by saying his loss isn't a big deal.

I wouldn't see his departure as a terribly big deal. He's a good position coach, but I could do without all the other (jesusy) baggage. As a tight ends coach, he wouldn't be difficult to replace.

That Jesusy stuff has helped us get recruits such as Aaron Green, and it has turned two enemies into best friends, Haag and Helu. If he can't coach, I say retain him as a team chaplain. Let's hear it for Coach Brown!

That Jesusy stuff has helped us get recruits such as Aaron Green, and it has turned two enemies into best friends, Haag and Helu. If he can't coach, I say retain him as a team chaplain. Let's hear it for Coach Brown!

Helu and Hagg used to hate each other? Explain that a little more.

I hope this is a joke. Your really gonna bag on the man for having faith just bc you don't agree with what he believes in? I thought I've seen it all, but now I have.

It's not at all based on what he believes in. I am not real familiar with Ron Brown, but it isn't as if Bo, etc, are not also Christians. For some reason, Ron Brown has an additional reputation on top of this.

I think he has a valuable role to the team because of how his good relationships with players. That has nothing to do with race, religion, or anything like that. It's just who he is. I think he's a solid TEs coach and his intensity are great. I do think his recruiting is a bit overblown though. Yeah, there is a small percentage of recruits he connects really well with, but I don't think he recruits very much.

Aaaargh - I just accidentally ejected the battery on my laptop after writing another response to some of this. Hopefully I can recapture what I was saying heh...

Let me be clear, I have no issue with the fact that he's a man of faith. I don't think he's alone in that on this staff, but not many others are wearing it on their sleeve to the degree that he does. I do, however, have an issue with him bringing it to work with him as an employee of a public institution, and specifically as someone in a position of authority over young men. I just don't think it's a proper thing to do, for him or for anyone else (and yes, I have/had issues with others for the same reason). If he wants to preach, then he should be a preacher, not a coach at a state university. I merely stated that I personally would not miss this aspect of his presence on the staff. Again, this is just my opinion on the matter. It's not shared by many here, which is no great surprise, but we don't all have to have the same opinion on the subject.

The other half of my comment has nothing to do with his religiosity. There's no doubt that he's a fine football coach, with many great qualities. However, no one on the staff is irreplaceable, and no individual makes or breaks the staff. If he goes, there's no doubt that he'll leave a big hole to fill, but I have complete confidence that we'll find someone who can bring similar talent, ability and intensity to the job. The bottom line is that I simply don't think that the potential of him leaving the staff is as big of a tragedy as others think. That doesn't take away from the fact that he's a tremendous football coach, even if some of you like to pretend that I just called him the worst coach on the planet.

Aaaargh - I just accidentally ejected the battery on my laptop after writing another response to some of this. Hopefully I can recapture what I was saying heh...

Let me be clear, I have no issue with the fact that he's a man of faith. I don't think he's alone in that on this staff, but not many others are wearing it on their sleeve to the degree that he does. I do, however, have an issue with him bringing it to work with him as an employee of a public institution, and specifically as someone in a position of authority over young men. I just don't think it's a proper thing to do, for him or for anyone else (and yes, I have/had issues with others for the same reason). If he wants to preach, then he should be a preacher, not a coach at a state university. I merely stated that I personally would not miss this aspect of his presence on the staff. Again, this is just my opinion on the matter. It's not shared by many here, which is no great surprise, but we don't all have to have the same opinion on the subject.

The other half of my comment has nothing to do with his religiosity. There's no doubt that he's a fine football coach, with many great qualities. However, no one on the staff is irreplaceable, and no individual makes or breaks the staff. If he goes, there's no doubt that he'll leave a big hole to fill, but I have complete confidence that we'll find someone who can bring similar talent, ability and intensity to the job. The bottom line is that I simply don't think that the potential of him leaving the staff is as big of a tragedy as others think. That doesn't take away from the fact that he's a tremendous football coach, even if some of you like to pretend that I just called him the worst coach on the planet.

No...but you made it sound like the guy does nothing but carry a Bible around the locker room quoting scripture. He is a BIG reason why we have many recruits who chose Nebraska over other universities and yes, his faith has a hell of a lot to do with it. I have read many quotes by recruits stating this same fact.

Not only is it proper, it's a federally protected right. So.... get over it. ;)

I remember a time when Ron Brown was not here. You could tell the difference. The whole time he was gone there just felt like something was missing. When he came back it's like Husker Nation just breathed a sigh of relief. Here was someone who could inspire our boys, build confidence and character that was sorely lacking when he was gone.

I'm curious-have you ever heard Ron Brown speak? If you haven't, I would encourage you to give him a listen sometime. He spoke at our daughter's Baccalaureate-Wow. If 'wearing your faith on your sleeve' is going to change the life of a young man for the better-build character in him that will prepare him for life then I say-let 'er rip tater chip! Because the opposite is what we're seeing in alot of young lives today-many of these kids never get the opportunity to hear what the Ron Browns of the world have to say-it's sad too-because it might have changed their lives-in fact, many of these kids might still be alive today if they had heard what he and others like him have to say. Just my opinion :)

I was just caught a little off guard by this: has anyone heard that Coach Ron Brown might retire? That announcement could come when the coaching changes are announced.

Losing Ron Brown would be a major loss. He is a good man with character, is a fine role model, and has made a great positive impact on many players.

One potential reason to leave that has not been brought up is that a Christian is called to make a difference where he/she is and, to the best of thier ability, model good conduct and other-centeredness, ensuring, to the extent possible, that ethical conduct characterizes where you reside. If an association (like your workplace) is one where the conduct and the character is problematic, you attempt to facilitate change and stand up for what is right... until it becomes untenable. It is certainly conceivable that a believer could look at what is going on in our football program and, after exhausting all means available to make positive contribution, determine, of necessity, to cut ties and move on (or, at least, move out). Many believers have left jobs (and churches) for this very reason. Applicable in this case? Cannot say. Probable? Yes.