Frost/Warinner

Here's the article:

Scott Frost plans to remain at Oregon as a wide receivers coach instead of joining Nebraska's staff, the Journal Star has learned.

Frost and Husker head coach Bo Pelini this weekend discussed the possibility of Frost returning to his alma mater. NU likely needed to offer play-calling duties to lure Frost to Lincoln. But it appears Pelini is set to hand over those duties to Tim Beck, who just completed his third season as running backs coach.

Link with much more

If it would have taken play-calling duties to get Frost here, I'm glad we passed. He hasn't shown yet that he's qualified. Maybe in a couple-three years, or if/when Bo leaves, but not now. Prudent decision.

• Fire 1

NU likely needed to offer play-calling duties to lure Frost to Lincoln.

This is troubling if you ask me. If he is already making demands after only two years as an offensive position coach what is going to happen if he has continued success?

Probably not demands, just an honest explanation of what it would take to get him to leave Oregon. I've done the same thing before taking an interview in regards to salary: "here is what it would take to get me to leave, and here is why" sort of thing. Nothing wrong w/ this IMO. Better than leading Bo on for weeks until the offer came in then trying to negotiate it out of him.

Re: loyalty and bleeding red. Maybe Frost remembers getting booed, a lot, in 1996. He hung in there and QB'd the team to an MNC the next year. He owes us nothing.

I'd be on the side of saying the booing probably helped. If he would not have been booed do you think he would have come back with the chip on his shoulder he did?? That chip(and a lucky kick and catch) got us the national championship that year.

Well...obviously everyone knows Frost said no. He thought coming here as a run game coordinator was a lateral move and saw staying a receivers coach as pretty equal. That's too bad because the reason we even gave him the opportunity to come back is because we felt he might understand how things are done at NU. Apparently . . he doesn't understand it as much as we thought.

Sounds like 3 of 4 coaches are now hired. Lots of rumors flying but I at this point most people are guessing. I have someone who does know but he won't give it up at this point. He just said its not who people think and left it at that.

Well...obviously everyone knows Frost said no. He thought coming here as a run game coordinator was a lateral move and saw staying a receivers coach as pretty equal. That's too bad because the reason we even gave him the opportunity to come back is because we felt he might understand how things are done at NU. Apparently . . he doesn't understand it as much as we thought.

Sounds like 3 of 4 coaches are now hired. Lots of rumors flying but I at this point most people are guessing. I have someone who does know but he won't give it up at this point. He just said its not who people think and left it at that.

If true, that makes me feel better. A complete surprise is in order after the last two seasons on offense around here.

Question, when you say "3 out 4" coaches have been hired, do you count Beck's promotion in that count? If so, will Bo only hire 1 offensive coach to replace Wats and Gilmore and just go with 1 coach less? If not, who is the third coach?

Frost doesn't strike me as the type that would be nothing more than a yes man for Bo. After watching Bo pull rank last year when Cody started a couple of games and before the season this year when Martinez shot up from third to first, it's understandable why Frost wouldn't want to be a part of this. Bo knows defense. It remains to be seen how much he knows offense.

Question, when you say "3 out 4" coaches have been hired, do you count Beck's promotion in that count? If so, will Bo only hire 1 offensive coach to replace Wats and Gilmore and just go with 1 coach less? If not, who is the third coach?

Els and Raymond are the defense. 1 new offensive coach has been hired and 1 more spot on offense to fill. Beck was just promoted and not counted in the new hires.