Pelini

huskers1

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.

Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

~ Sun Tzu, the Art of War

One can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?

Well, pilgrim, only after you eat the peanuts out of my sh*t.

The majority of the younger crowd on this board think Bo is a bad ass and don't care what he does or how he does it, as long as we win.

The majority of the younger crowd on this board understand the realities behind today's media because many of us are exposed to much more than NTV for 60 minutes a night. We do not continually compare Bo to TO because TO coached in a different world, where his every move wasn't scrutinized and his every flaw emphasized to the millionth degree. Can you imagine the media firestorm the Lawrence Phillips situation would have been in today's world? Lawmakers would have been involved without a doubt, Obama would have surely chimed in. Women's groups would have flash mobbed the stadium in thousands.

The majority of the older crowd wants a coach that represents the university and team the right way. There isn't this, win at all costs mentality.

The majority of the older crowd wants a coach that does not exist in today's world. If they do, they are coaching at a level far below Nebraska. The complexities and politics surrounding the college game today means that a "win at all costs" mentality must exist for the university's athletics to continue to exist at the level they do. There's a fine line and Bo walks it as well as most. We're talking about a business with tens of millions in revenues...the majority of the older crowd continually forgets that.

Its sad that the younger generation basically has no morals or values, at least that's how they come across on this board.

Our realist view is often confused with a lack of morals and values, so I won't take offense that you stereotyped me into a group equal to a petty thief.
  • Fire 1

Here's what it comes down to....

The majority of the younger crowd on this board think Bo is a bad ass and don't care what he does or how he does it, as long as we win.

The majority of the older crowd wants a coach that represents the university and team the right way. There isn't this, win at all costs mentality.

Take note that I said majority, cause there are obviously exceptions on both sides.

Its sad that the younger generation basically has no morals or values, at least that's how they come across on this board.

Pretty good assessment. My sister-in-law is a teacher, and she said things changed for the worst about 20 years ago. When she first started teaching and a kid got in trouble, the parents wanted to know what the kid did and disciplined them. Then things started to change. When a kid got in trouble, the parents came in demanding what she as a teacher did to their kid. Over the years, a lot of accountability has left the building. Take Clownahan for example. He had the gall to stand up there in a press conference and say he's doing an excellent job in all areas when it was quite apparent that he was not. Take the financial meltdown from a couple of years ago. Nobody stepped up to the plate and said yes we took on excessive risk. They said it was someone else's fault. Look at the people having their homes foreclosed. It wasn't their fault rather it was some shady bank that forced them to sign on the dotted line.

As you said, you can't lump everyone from either generation completely into this box. There are older people who won't take any accountability while there are some in the younger generation that do. For the most part, Bo takes accountability. He doesn't shield it off. Over the past couple of years, it would have been easy for him to throw his offense and offensive staff under the bus for losses. This past year, he could have blamed everything on the refs. He doesn't do this. While Bo truelly does want to win, I don't see him as a win at all cost coach. Even when he booted Castille off the team, he helped him land another place to play.

I do believe that the "younger crowd" is more supportive of Bo's actions than the "older crowd", what that cut-off for an age is, I don't know.

However, as a supporter of Bo 100% and being part of the "Younger crowd" I must say this:

As long as Bo's teams are competitive, playing hard, competing for championships, and not embarrassing the State or the University, with arrests, violent crimes, recruting violations, lying to players/fans/recruits, and not holding up what he talks about of passion, integrity, desire, pride and wanting to be the best: he is doing fine.

All this talk about him being fired or "make or break" or "Must change his attitude" is complete crap. He did not embarrass me during the A&M game. In fact, he stood up not only for his players, but every fan out there. He knew it was a tough environment and things were being slanted against his team he thought. I was yelling just as bad as he was at some things and to tell me some of the older crowd wasn't a little upset at some of those calls, then I don't believe you.

When we watched the 2003 Alamo Bowl, he got that flag for going off on the refs for sticking up for his team, everyone, everyone in the room cheered. Younger and older alike.

Besides, say you want to fire Bo after next year an 9-10-11 win season. Okay go ahead, you may want to fire him, but that's a giant mistake. Think of the press on that? Nebraska fires coach because he has TOO MUCH intensity? Then we have another Solich situation on our hands all over again. NO ONE will want to coach at Nebraska because the reason we fired Frank and why some of you want to fire Bo, is ridiculous and that is more embarrassing to me than it is to actually say Bo is embarrassing us.

We would have to settle for a no name coach with little background because no one will want to come here.

Winning isn't everything. Win at all costs is a stupid idea. There is more than just football that goes on here. Here's the thing though: Bo actually TALKS about OTHER THINGS than JUST winning football games. It's about accountability and everything else thrown in, developing players and whoever else. Passion to cheering on your team and to be able to criticize when necessary. We aren't having USC infractions. We aren't win at all co$t$ like the $EC or Auburn, although you are naive if you don't think a little bit of that goe$ on here because it does, and again, there is more than just winning football games that Bo talks about.

I'd rather have a coach fight for my team, my state, my school, rather than just assume they are "doing a good job in all areas" and be nice to the media.

This is what Nebraska is about: Pride, Passion, Family and Football. Bo brings it all. He's a no B.S. kind of guy. He helps other players and coaches find better situations for them when they leave. That is family taking care of one of their own for Watson, Gilmore, and Castille examples.

Osborne and Pelini do things the same way to the media, just in a different tone. Bo is short, whereas Tom had more to say, but both rarely gave answers the media wanted to hear. Their tones are different, how they go about it is different, yet they give mostly the same answers of "nothing" while one doesn't say a lot and one says a lot.

Does Bo need to tone it down? Not really. I think he let it get personal with the refs, which he stated, and letting anything get personal, then that is too far. He isn't punching players, or abusing them, all of his players have nothing but the highest praise from him, and if they thought differently they would be somewhere else. I don't fear a Woody Hayes moment, because Bo means a lot to his players, and his players mean a lot to him. I agree with that he needs to recognize his every move will be scrutinized one way or the other though.

Or we can go back to Callahan, Watson, Cosgrove, or some other disaster reject from the NFL or another NCAA program and set back this program worse than it was set back from 2004-2007. Sounds like a good time to me, you would all be begging for Bo to come back, and while I don't think Bo is the only guy that can win at Nebraska, if you guys wanted to fire him like some of you are on the verge of, then we would truly be worse off than 2004, and that is a dangerous thing to think of.

wow.

wonder what the message board posts/media blogs would have said about devaney's behavior back in the day.

how about the infamous locker room trophy story? put that in bo's shoes today.

bo might be the only guy that could slide right into Bob's shoes.

you old school folk are plain ignorant, im sorry. nothing has changed. you just get more of it in your face now, and frankly, the younger generation realizes this and doesnt take it to heart like you do.

you probably had similar conversations with your predecessors about him that we are now.

news stories were full of granduer back then because thats what sold. devaney was a drunk. swallow that in todays terms.