Had Dinner w/ TO

Hujan

Thought I would share one of the coolest experiences in my life. First, some background: So I was born and raised in California and attended NU during the dark days of Callahan, and moved back to California shortly after. (Miss NE, though, and hope to move back soon.) Although they weren't yet "my team," as a college football fan I had a deep respect and admiration for Nebraska football in general and TO in particular. Needless to say, when I set foot on campus, I became a rabid fan and am now deeply in love with the state, the program, and the legendary TO.

So last night I attended the Californian's for Nebraska alumni banquet in Irvine. I took my girlfriend who has a lukewarm attachment to Wisconsin, but she will soon be converted. Anyway, we got there super early and since it was open seating, she suggested a table more or less front and center. Eventually we got wine and food and as we were eating, more and more huge guys began sitting at our table. From their rings, it was evident that a lot of these guys were on the 1971 National Championship team. Eventually, one of them puts a huge paw on my shoulder and says, "Excuse me, son. Do you mind if we slide an extra chair in here next to you? We got a lot of big guys at this table and we're trying to make room for Tom Osborne." I figured he was kidding about TO, but of course we made some room and shuffled over so they could add a chair.

A few minutes later, I'm talking to my girlfriend and she stops me and whispers, "Babe, I think Coach Osborne is sitting at our table!" So I turn around and one chair away from me is the legendary TO in a red blazer. I, of course, am completely speechless. Eventually, in between bites of food, he looks over in our direction, and says, "Hello. How are you?" We exchanged pleasantries, and he went back to talking to his former players and swapping stories. It was great to overhear some of that candid conversation and just see the man in action. He is everything you think he is and more. He is soft spoken but firm and sharp, polite, ridiculously tall, and an all around great man. He is definitely Nebraska's John Wooden in many ways.

As for the event itself, it was a blast. Great food (Valentino's and Runza), Tommie Frazier and Matt Davidson were both hilarious, and TO dropped a few insights. First, as I predicted to my girlfriend on the drive up, I had a feeling Bo would not attend given all that's going on with the coaching staff. Sure enough, he couldn't be there. TO related that it was because of the changes to the staff, specifically spots on the offensive side of things. He related that he, Bo, and Milt Tenopir had met that morning, which I found interesting. He also told a funny story about how when he and Chancellor Perlman traveled to an "undisclosed location" to meet with "Jim" about Big Ten expansion, TO got recognized in their hotel lobby by a Big XII ref who was asking what he was doing there. Pretty funny stuff.

After the event, TO graciously posed for a photo with me, after which I shook his hand and said, "Thanks for everything, coach." I am never washing that hand! Felt like a dream, but when I woke up this morning, I still had the photo!

• Fire 8

Thought I would share one of the coolest experiences in my life. First, some background: So I was born and raised in California and attended NU during the dark days of Callahan, and moved back to California shortly after. (Miss NE, though, and hope to move back soon.) Although they weren't yet "my team," as a college football fan I had a deep respect and admiration for Nebraska football in general and TO in particular. Needless to say, when I set foot on campus, I became a rabid fan and am now deeply in love with the state, the program, and the legendary TO.

So last night I attended the Californian's for Nebraska alumni banquet in Irvine. I took my girlfriend who has a lukewarm attachment to Wisconsin, but she will soon be converted. Anyway, we got there super early and since it was open seating, she suggested a table more or less front and center. Eventually we got wine and food and as we were eating, more and more huge guys began sitting at our table. From their rings, it was evident that a lot of these guys were on the 1971 National Championship team. Eventually, one of them puts a huge paw on my shoulder and says, "Excuse me, son. Do you mind if we slide an extra chair in here next to you? We got a lot of big guys at this table and we're trying to make room for Tom Osborne." I figured he was kidding about TO, but of course we made some room and shuffled over so they could add a chair.

A few minutes later, I'm talking to my girlfriend and she stops me and whispers, "Babe, I think Coach Osborne is sitting at our table!" So I turn around and one chair away from me is the legendary TO in a red blazer. I, of course, am completely speechless. Eventually, in between bites of food, he looks over in our direction, and says, "Hello. How are you?" We exchanged pleasantries, and he went back to talking to his former players and swapping stories. It was great to overhear some of that candid conversation and just see the man in action. He is everything you think he is and more. He is soft spoken but firm and sharp, polite, ridiculously tall, and an all around great man. He is definitely Nebraska's John Wooden in many ways.

As for the event itself, it was a blast. Great food (Valentino's and Runza), Tommie Frazier and Matt Davidson were both hilarious, and TO dropped a few insights. First, as I predicted to my girlfriend on the drive up, I had a feeling Bo would not attend given all that's going on with the coaching staff. Sure enough, he couldn't be there. TO related that it was because of the changes to the staff, specifically spots on the offensive side of things. He related that he, Bo, and Milt Tenopir had met that morning, which I found interesting. He also told a funny story about how when he and Chancellor Perlman traveled to an "undisclosed location" to meet with "Jim" about Big Ten expansion, TO got recognized in their hotel lobby by a Big XII ref who was asking what he was doing there. Pretty funny stuff.

After the event, TO graciously posed for a photo with me, after which I shook his hand and said, "Thanks for everything, coach." I am never washing that hand! Felt like a dream, but when I woke up this morning, I still had the photo!

Post the photo or it didn't happen j/k....but seriously congrats and its just one of lifes little pleasentries that make us smile.

Awesome story! I haven't meet Coach yet and always wondered what I would do if/when I run into him. Sounds like he is everything and more, a true legend obviously, but it's even more if you get to meet him and you have a story like that too, especially with a picture too is always great too. B)

We Nebraska fans are so lucky to have a great man like TO. 99% percent of universities have never had a TO and probably never will. I feel bad for Bo, those are giant shoes to fill.

Many years ago I was in Lincoln on a Friday afternoon and stopped to see the stadium (had just put in FieldTurf). Gates were open so I walked in and strolled around the stadium a bit. I sat down in the South end zone to hang out as it was a nice late Spring day, and then someone came jogging in through the North end zone entrance coming my way. It was TO. He stopped when he got to me to ask if he could help me with anything, we exchanged a few pleasantries, and then he went on his jogging way. Nice guy, class act.

One other time I was at a convention in Des Moines (American Association of Swine Practitioners--pig veterinarians) right after NU won their '95 national title. TO was scheduled to be the keynote speaker so got to see him there. Class act, some great stories and a standing O for him and the team by the crowd.

• Fire 1

We Nebraska fans are so lucky to have a great man like TO. 99% percent of universities have never had a TO and probably never will. I feel bad for Bo, those are giant shoes to fill.

Many years ago I was in Lincoln on a Friday afternoon and stopped to see the stadium (had just put in FieldTurf). Gates were open so I walked in and strolled around the stadium a bit. I sat down in the South end zone to hang out as it was a nice late Spring day, and then someone came jogging in through the North end zone entrance coming my way. It was TO. He stopped when he got to me to ask if he could help me with anything, we exchanged a few pleasantries, and then he went on his jogging way. Nice guy, class act.

Man, that would be so cool to just walk on in the stadium like you own it and hang out there or run around for a bit. I hear stories this is how it used to be, until 9-11 and then certain precautions were taken because of that and now it's heavily secure, especially in the North end-zone?

Thanks everyone, for your nice comments. I am glad that it's brought some joy to you guys as well. How can I deny the masses? Had to add the photo as an attachment. Hope it comes through. Lest there be any confusion, I am the bald dude on the right. And yes, I know I'm one ugly SOB. But I am a lucky SOB!

Edit: It doesn't appear to be attaching properly. Mods?