Cody Green

If he is the starter, I won't be able to watch. We have many better options.

If you read his season recap, you almost feel sorry for the kid. He never had a chance to get into a rhythym anywhere. Had a mediocre game against Iowa State but so did the rest of the team. Not to mention he hadn't played in over a month. He had one dominant possession against K-State that puts Martinez's day into perspective a little more. He played well against Colorado. Early in the season he had a rough time holding onto the ball which is why many on this board probably have so many doubts. Take away those 4-5 fumbles early in the season and you can't really complain with his play.

I think this is somewhat of a crap thing. The handcuffs were on Cody so hard it hurt my wrists on the hillside. Between Wats keeping the leash tight and the phobia to throw into the win, Cody did exactly what he needed to do and was asked to. And did it with a smooshed up melon to boot.

At some point you have to realize that if Cody was good enough, there would be no leash.

Tis true knapplc, but at the same time it is hard to get a true read of what you got, when you don't even give the kid a chance in game settings.

Of course this could all be a wash considering Wats thought he had a good QB running the same plays that tore up the Idaho's and Western Kentuckyss of the world against the real defenses of the league.

Cody was in the proper role last year and had chances to take the job with on the field performace, that said he did not even tempt we crazy fans to demand change.

Because the fans were still all drunk and high on the first half of the season - it fogged the picture a little bit - or maybe it was the blitzing defenses and mangled backfield that confused everything. Martinez won't be cut so much slack this year.

Ironically, the best part about Cody Green is that his limited athletic ability forced Watson to try something other than zone-read left, zone-read right all game. When CG was the starter, we leaned heavily on the Rexcat and some makable passing plays. CG and Burkhead made a great tandem in the backfield as far as stability and consistency were concerned. Helu and Martinez, not so much.

Cody does not by a long shot have limited athletic ability. Isn't the kind of shifty slot receiver type that Martinez is, but very good athlete nonetheless. You're right though, Cody seemed more suited under center than running a shotgun read option game. Rex probably made the best reads on those plays, of anyone on the team, except for Zac Lee. And actually, the Rexcat emerged after Taylor's injury and was still leaned on heavily with Taylor in there. We did not run a whole lot of zone read with Taylor after his injury. I'm not too sure why it seems that way in memory (it kind of does), but we really didn't have it as a huge staple the way it was sometimes before his injury.

Cody does not by a long shot have limited athletic ability. Isn't the kind of shifty slot receiver type that Martinez is, but very good athlete nonetheless. You're right though, Cody seemed more suited under center than running a shotgun read option game. Rex probably made the best reads on those plays, of anyone on the team, except for Zac Lee. And actually, the Rexcat emerged after Taylor's injury and was still leaned on heavily with Taylor in there. We did not run a whole lot of zone read with Taylor after his injury. I'm not too sure why it seems that way in memory (it kind of does), but we really didn't have it as a huge staple the way it was sometimes before his injury.

With all respect, CG is perhaps the least mobile QB on our roster with the possible exception of Kody "No Knees" Spano. He might be able to put his head down and grind out some yards similar to Cam Newton, but I still wouldn't call him mobile. I guess "athletic" is too broad, since athletic potential can manifest in a variety of ways. I should have said not very agile or fast.

Probably less mobile than Martinez and less shake-and-bake than Carnes (not sure about top end speed, Cody's really fast, but doesn't have the same burst).

I'll give you Turner/Starling in this recruiting class too, but it's just because they are outlandishly good athletes and not Cody being a slouch. As for as QB athleticism goes, Cody is in the region of "really good". Although, I guess, not enough as a runner for our standards. I guess the standards in this area at NU have been raised really, really high. At most schools, he would likely be on of the faster/fastest QBs. If he weren't, he wouldn't have been recruited as a WR by some schools. There was talk of how he is athletic enough to play every position on the field, sans OL/DL. Maybe he hasn't lived up to that potential athletically though, I don't know.

Agree on not that agile/not that much of a burst, but disagree on top-end speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW2wsFVJwcY&feature=related

8:48 mark

I think it's other skills Cody hasn't really shown - or rather, being zoned into the game and performing at a mistake-free, high level...but as far as athleticism, he's shown it. He's also shown his weaknesss athletically - moving laterally, accelerating. I don't know what was up with him this year, I guess his reads in the ZR were also very poor. So many fumbles. Opposite of being a gamer, so I think we agree on the practice field warrior remark.

I think it's other skills Cody hasn't really shown - or rather, being zoned into the game and performing at a mistake-free, high level...but as far as athleticism, he's shown it. He's also shown his weaknesss athletically - moving laterally, accelerating. I don't know what was up with him this year, I guess his reads in the ZR were also very poor. So many fumbles. Opposite of being a gamer, so I think we agree on the practice field warrior remark.

That play is in garbage time in the fourth quarter, up 42-3, against a gassed Florida Atlantic squad. That's a perfect example of reading way too much into that play (the only run longer than about 10 yards he's had at Nebraska).

I like Cody, I think he's a good athlete, and a great guy to have on your team. He has shown nothing to make me think he's a good fit for our system. I'd be interested in giving him a look at tight end or wide receiver, but only if we're confident in Carnes and Turner to back up Martinez. Those two guys seem like better fits at QB for our offense, though.

I could show you ten videos of such plays by Martinez, yet you continue to discount him. Oddly, in favor of Green, who has one (1) highlight of this nature.