Cody Green

Plenty of us are defending Green. I've been disapointed with a few of his performances - but I certainly don't see the #1 spot locked down and Cody shouldn't either. Unless something has been communicated directly to him, I don't see how he can look at Martinez's body of work and not think he has a legitimate chance to move into the starting position next year. I have no idea what his relationship is with Beck, or if maybe he has tired of football - ie: something beyond the "you'll never start" theory that would cause him to want to transfer. I can't see it just being the fact that he isn't first on the depth chart in February though.

• Fire 2

There are situations where you have to take a sack. If you can't throw it away without intentional grounding, then a good QB knows when to just tuck the ball in and duck down to the turf.

Not exactly what Martinez did. Just stood there and took a monster hit. Almost as a big "f you, happy now?" to his QB coach, it seems. It was unbelievable how many of these situations Taylor landed himself in, which is the bigger problem to begin with.

The alternative would be to scramble around and throw it away (or find someone), but Taylor's lateral speed being what it was, it would have just taken time off the clock and likely increased the loss. Not to mention the risk of Taylor making a bad decision and throwing it into the arms of a defender.

i agree, some of those sacks were so pedestrian it looked intentional on his part.....the kid looked punch-drunk and still they wouldn't play Green.....that better not happen again!

You really have to wonder who made this call. In 2009, it appeared as though Bo pulled rank when Cody started. I'm still wondering if it wasn't Bo's call to leave Martinez in the game. If it was, then I'd say it definitely will happen again.

Plenty of us are defending Green. I've been disapointed with a few of his performances - but I certainly don't see the #1 spot locked down and Cody shouldn't either. Unless something has been communicated directly to him, I don't see how he can look at Martinez's body of work and not think he has a legitimate chance to move into the starting position next year. I have no idea what his relationship is with Beck, or if maybe he has tired of football - ie: something beyond the "you'll never start" theory that would cause him to want to transfer. I can't see it just being the fact that he isn't first on the depth chart in February though.

This.

The bolded part especially. If Jamal Turner and Bubba can see it and are saying the things they are, you'd hope Cody would see and think it as well.

I have put out the face palm during some of Cody's performances and missteps after sitting up a little more when he has gotten in the game. However, there also have been a lot of times where you see those glimpses of what he can be. The guy is an awesome leader and team player. Something Taylor could use a TON of. But with the direction that the offense may be heading it isn't the best for Cody's skills. I will, always be a fan though. Who knows, knock the socks off the coaches this spring and through the summer and then everyone becomes a Cody guy in all liklihood if he does become "the guy".

• Fire 1

This.

The bolded part especially. If Jamal Turner and Bubba can see it and are saying the things they are, you'd hope Cody would see and think it as well.

I have put out the face palm during some of Cody's performances and missteps after sitting up a little more when he has gotten in the game. However, there also have been a lot of times where you see those glimpses of what he can be. The guy is an awesome leader and team player. Something Taylor could use a TON of. But with the direction that the offense may be heading it isn't the best for Cody's skills. I will, always be a fan though. Who knows, knock the socks off the coaches this spring and through the summer and then everyone becomes a Cody guy in all liklihood if he does become "the guy".

great post......

I'm rootin for Green!

Then be prepared for a 5 - 6 win season.

He got it done against Iowa State and Colorado - the only two games he was given any significant amount of playing time in 2010. To me those 2 are about all we have to go on. He never got much of a chance to get into any kind of rhythym any other time during the season. He went over a month without playing in a game.

You don't think we could beat more than chattanooga, fresno state, washington, wyoming and minnesota? With our defense there are 7-8 wins up there with no QB.

I hope he improves enough that the coaches feel he can play a relevant part in the offense. He has not shown that yet. I think he will be moved to another position. His game decisions are worse than Martinez's most of the time. I truly feel he would have cost us victories had he been the starter. The staff obviously felt the same.

• Fire 1

I hope he improves enough that the coaches feel he can play a relevant part in the offense. He has not shown that yet. I think he will be moved to another position. His game decisions are worse than Martinez's most of the time. I truly feel he would have cost us victories had he been the starter. The staff obviously felt the same.

Well if leading the team to wins, game management, and doing what is asked of him when starting isn't high on a priority list I guess he hasn't shown much yet.

Again I am not flaming that Cody is great and should be starting but the style of offense NU ran last year was nothing really like the style of offense NU was running when he was recruited. Of course it is obvious to see when he enters and runs the spread. If he would have started from the start last year, the offense NU ran probably would have pretty different. You do not put up the stats against the competition he faced in Texas by luck.

And the boneheaded decisions in games was more of a push

Our offense has not been the same since Callahan got here. Every year it changes to something different.

Cody led us to victories over who? He only played due to the fact that Martinez was hurt. I seem to remember every time he stepped on the field it was almost instantly an interception or a major loss. I have never seen this fantastic game management you speak of.

Being good in high school is different than being good in college, I think we have had the same discussion regarding Carnes.

I still do not feel he will ever play a meaningful role as QB at Nebraska. I hope he does as I am sure that is his is goal. I understand he is more in the vein of what Nebraska fans are wanting, but he is going to have to improve a tremendous amount to win the starting position I think. Most had him starting this year and wanted him last year.

• Fire 1

Our offense has not been the same since Callahan got here. Every year it changes to something different.

Cody led us to victories over who? He only played due to the fact that Martinez was hurt. I seem to remember every time he stepped on the field it was almost instantly an interception or a major loss. I have never seen this fantastic game management you speak of.

Being good in high school is different than being good in college, I think we have had the same discussion regarding Carnes.

I still do not feel he will ever play a meaningful role as QB at Nebraska. I hope he does as I am sure that is his is goal. I understand he is more in the vein of what Nebraska fans are wanting, but he is going to have to improve a tremendous amount to win the starting position I think. Most had him starting this year and wanted him last year.

Skersfan great post Why do we still recruit duel threat QB's and pro style QB's pick a damn offense and run it.

Cody is neither. I like his heart but will not lead us to where we want to be.

1. These instant INT's was it the one last year against A&M on a hell of an athletic play by the DB on the sideline, or the two as a true freshman, one of which was in pure garbage time where even the bluehairs knew we were throwing the ball against Tech.

2. Maybe the victory against CU was nothing I mean it only clinched the North and the ISU game, hell who on offense was healthy that game, but you're right no pressure. Saying Cody Green has never been in a meaningful role in Husker football is like saying Matt Turman never existed. All he did was execute the game plan, manage the game(by this I mean take care of the ball and not hurt the team), and get the win. HOLY CRAP it is exactly what Cody did. Were the situations different? Yes. But exactly how well would you have felt leaving the Big XII without making the conference title game after being the favorite all year. Probably sick to your stomach and you'd be lying if you said otherwise.

So maybe we should quit living in the late 90's and take the good that we as fans are dealt in the present.

As I said before, this is not my holy crusade that Cody will start, I am just putting it out there, that he has done much more than a lot give credit to. As far as the QB race, Taylor has a LONG ways to go in a lot of areas, but should be the odds on favorite because of his experience, but no one except Bo and Beck really know what direction this offense will go and what the QB will need to be able to do to get it there.

Finally let's go strictly hypothetical and say Jamal Turner goes ape in the spring game, much like Taylor did last year. There would be a buzz, and MANY would call for him to challenge to start. Bet the mortgage it would happen.

you obviously see him differently than I. I hope he is as good as you think. Want nothing more than any kid who has the dream to live it. Just do not feel he will ever play QB at Nebraska in a true starting role.

He hasn't yet.

Not saying Taylor is the greatest by any means, but he has put up more and accomplished more in his short venture. The staff does not seem to have the faith in Cocy that you do, for what ever reason.

We will just have to disagree on this. I honestly have never seen the talent that some see in him. Great kid, great team player, more outgoing, but just short on getting it done when truly needed.

Playing down to Colorado's level was not a high mark for me this year. No matter who was playing.

He will either transfer after the spring game or play another position is my guess. I doubt he is the type to be lost in the depths of the QB list. He wants to play I think and could bring some great talent to the field. I hope for him it is at QB.

I don't even really know how to respond to some of your stuff skersfan. Did you watch the games, or just have a really short memory? Playing down to Colorado? We beat them 45-17. If you fell asleep in your recliner after the first quarter I guess I can understand where you might think we played down to them...but going up 33-3 on a "rival" isn't playing down to a team. Winning 17-3 against South Dakota State is - but your boy Martinez started that game (uninjured) so we won't mention it :)

I'm with Paul on this one - I'm certainly not saying Cody will be starting - and you are probably right that he will never have the full time starting role. But it won't be because he didn't do everything that was asked of him. He was given 13 passes against Colorado and he completed 10 of them. Same thing with Iowa State, 12 attempts. After not playing in a game for a month, he had a crucial series that ended with a 30 yard pass to Reed which put us up 14, shortly after Niles fumbled it away giving them a short field and they tied it up - not on Green. He executed, managed the games, and got us wins. It wasn't always spectacular how he did it. If you want a lot of sparkle Tulsa/Nevada might be more your type of program.

While Cody's peaks may not be as high as Martinez's - his valleys certainly aren't as low. If we need a consistent game manager, we don't have a better one on the team.

• Fire 1