Husker Baseball

@turn2

Coach Anderwatson is getting the blame because he's been there for years. He's had ample time to return the program back to the Van Horn era achievements and he's not succeeded.

Quite the opposite in fact and in so doing he's made excuse after excuse for "why" we haven't had the success. Do programs go through down years? Ummm... YES

Do they recover and have success?

Umm... YES

Has an Anderwatson led program achieved any success in the absence of Childress?

Umm... NO

So...

I ask you, if not Anderwatson, then who/what?

What do you feel is needed?

Is it the talent level?

Are we just not able to get the talent?

If so, why? Seems Van Horn got the talent without the draw of a top rated facility and "no" tradition.

Furthermore, how many times have we missed on top instate talent over the last 4-5 years? Why? Van Horn and Childress were able to keep it in Lincoln, why can't Anderwatson?

Yes, you want to discuss baseball. Is coaching not a large part of baseball? Personally, in college ball, I will go as far to say coaching is the biggest part of college baseball. Why? Because coaches have to develop a connection with the high school network and do so convincingly. If they don't, they won't get the talent. Furthermore, the talent is often very fragile (Great example of this is former Basketball coach Danny Nee. He could recruit the best but struggled developing the skill level of his recruits.) and without furthered development of sound fundamentals the talent peaks and programs remain average. Hmm.... sounds like a description of the current the sker's program to me.

Want to argue the point, ok!

Look at the defensive mistakes that have cost us.

- Twice in the Tech series and 5 runs. 2 Friday and 3 Saturday.

- Against Northern Colorado, in game one, the sker's hesitate to make a play in the first inning and we give up 3 runs as a result.

- Against Kansas State, Two hanging Curve's against a 25 plus mile per hour wind loses the game.

edit 2: You mister Turn2 have posted that Newman throws first pitch fastballs because they are 90 plus with movement. If so... why then a 85 mph curve into a 25 mile per hour wind with a 3 run lead?

- and on and on.

You want to talk base coaching. Anderwatson makes the calls from 3rd. He's the one giving signals. Take the strike, green light, hit and run, base stealing, bunts. That is 3rd base "not" 1st base. Anderwatson calls the "offensive portion" of the game.

You want to talk 2 out scoring frustrations? Ok.. I can partially agree that Erstad has some blame with that. I've asked many times about the short swing, where has it gone and why isn't it used. It was prominent when we were successful. (Get two strikes, choke up and put the ball in play) So.. yea, I'll admit that Erstad has some blame.

Still, stats don't lie. Huskers have lost several top in-state prospects. Creighton seems to hold the Omaha talent. Omaha coaches are rumored to avoid Anderson, why? Where is the fire our players used to play with? Why is it gone? Is Erstad to blame for this? Is it a part of college baseball even? (It damn sure was under Van Horn.)

Show the stats to prove me wrong. Shut me up! Make me eat crow. Truth is we are at best an average program and if your "ok" with that, fine. For me however, average isn't worth the lost hours at work, the cost of the fuel, the cost of the tickets, the baseball jersey, the baseball caps. What is worth all those is a program that plays with passion. A program that by their actions says you might win but... you damn sure will earn it. Attitude begins at the top and trickles downward. If it is none existent at the top, its also lacking at the bottom. In each of the last three weekend series Anderwatson had justified reasons to protest to the point of ejection. Instead he walked away. Well, so too do the young men and why shouldn't they? If like me, you too have competed at any level from HS or higher, you know passion begins at the top. This program is playing with very little passion.

edit* @ Turn2 and the others accepting mediocrity

you don't frustrate me, you Piss Me Off!

@turn2

Coach Anderwatson is getting the blame because he's been there for years. He's had ample time to return the program back to the Van Horn era achievements and he's not succeeded.

Quite the opposite in fact and in so doing he's made excuse after excuse for "why" we haven't had the success. Do programs go through down years? Ummm... YES

Do they recover and have success?

Umm... YES

Has an Anderwatson led program achieved any success in the absence of Childress?

Umm... NO

So...

I ask you, if not Anderwatson, then who/what?

What do you feel is needed?

Is it the talent level?

Are we just not able to get the talent?

If so, why? Seems Van Horn got the talent without the draw of a top rated facility and "no" tradition.

Furthermore, how many times have we missed on top instate talent over the last 4-5 years? Why? Van Horn and Childress were able to keep it in Lincoln, why can't Anderwatson?

Yes, you want to discuss baseball. Is coaching not a large part of baseball? Personally, in college ball, I will go as far to say coaching is the biggest part of college baseball. Why? Because coaches have to develop a connection with the high school network and do so convincingly. If they don't, they won't get the talent. Furthermore, the talent is often very fragile (Great example of this is former Basketball coach Danny Nee. He could recruit the best but struggled developing the skill level of his recruits.) and without furthered development of sound fundamentals the talent peaks and programs remain average. Hmm.... sounds like a description of the current the sker's program to me.

Want to argue the point, ok!

Look at the defensive mistakes that have cost us.

- Twice in the Tech series and 5 runs. 2 Friday and 3 Saturday.

- Against Northern Colorado, in game one, the sker's hesitate to make a play in the first inning and we give up 3 runs as a result.

- Against Kansas State, Two hanging Curve's against a 25 plus mile per hour wind loses the game.

edit 2: You mister Turn2 have posted that Newman throws first pitch fastballs because they are 90 plus with movement. If so... why then a 85 mph curve into a 25 mile per hour wind with a 3 run lead?

- and on and on.

You want to talk base coaching. Anderwatson makes the calls from 3rd. He's the one giving signals. Take the strike, green light, hit and run, base stealing, bunts. That is 3rd base "not" 1st base. Anderwatson calls the "offensive portion" of the game.

You want to talk 2 out scoring frustrations? Ok.. I can partially agree that Erstad has some blame with that. I've asked many times about the short swing, where has it gone and why isn't it used. It was prominent when we were successful. (Get two strikes, choke up and put the ball in play) So.. yea, I'll admit that Erstad has some blame.

Still, stats don't lie. Huskers have lost several top in-state prospects. Creighton seems to hold the Omaha talent. Omaha coaches are rumored to avoid Anderson, why? Where is the fire our players used to play with? Why is it gone? Is Erstad to blame for this? Is it a part of college baseball even? (It damn sure was under Van Horn.)

Show the stats to prove me wrong. Shut me up! Make me eat crow. Truth is we are at best an average program and if your "ok" with that, fine. For me however, average isn't worth the lost hours at work, the cost of the fuel, the cost of the tickets, the baseball jersey, the baseball caps. What is worth all those is a program that plays with passion. A program that by their actions says you might win but... you damn sure will earn it. Attitude begins at the top and trickles downward. If it is none existent at the top, its also lacking at the bottom. In each of the last three weekend series Anderwatson had justified reasons to protest to the point of ejection. Instead he walked away. Well, so too do the young men and why shouldn't they? If like me, you too have competed at any level from HS or higher, you know passion begins at the top. This program is playing with very little passion.

edit* @ Turn2 and the others accepting mediocrity

you don't frustrate me, you Piss Me Off!

This not what I said. Again, my inability to communicate effectively with the written word. Below is what I said and what I meant by below commentary is, Keller was being asked to throw more first pitch fastballs because he wasn't commanding his slider. Even the best fastball pitcher will struggle if they throw first pitch fastballs all the time...it's called being predictable. Oh yeah, for your own personal education...nobody in baseball throws an 85 mph curve, slider yes.

[b]1. Newman being to predictable because he is calling nothing but first pitch fastballs- first of all the kid has a 92-94 MPH fastball and Tech only had four hits in 8 innings. I will take that any day of the week. Second of all Keller was struggling with command of his slider. Two of Tech's 3 runs were lead-off walks...very important with these new bats to not walk batters, especially lead-off batters. Start off with strikes and this will open up the pitch selection, even though he was struggling with command of slider. [/b]

To bad my opinion "pisses you off". Maybe you should stop reading what I post. If you reread my post, you will see that I have never argued for Coach Anderson or any coach. I offer perspective if I think blame is being directed inappropriately in a specific situation....again, JMO. I will not argue for or against a coach keeping his job....and this is my right.

yes, your correct, curve balls are 70-75 (hence the arch) at good ole NU (where the pitching is fastball heavy) they throw the slurve.. and it travels around 80 mph.

seems you want to discuss baseball... you've never answered the question, is coaching and coaching calls not part of the game? Also, if the fans say nothing, continue giving both in support and in revenue, why then would the administration make a change? Fans need to be vocal about the program. Fans create the pressure that coaches and administrations are expected to maintain. The husker football program is hugely successful and it is in large part because the fans mandate it to be.

Anderwatson is "not" meeting the expectations. It is our responsibility as fans to pressure the administration to correct failing programs. Vocalizing disappointment has to be directed correctly and IMO, Anderwatson is the issue.

Lastly, I've asked you to show stats (as I have of the mediocrity) to support Anderson. None have been presented because none exist.

A couple of things. First Hadker, you let other opinions piss you off for what reason. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts and many can't be changed. I have NOT been an Anderson apologist, but there must have been a reason he was chosen to follow Van Horne. Sidenote, the Byrne was leaving for A&M and wanted Childress down there arguement has beaten to death before and let's not go there.

Second, many of the Big XII brethern started pumping more money into their programs. Schools saw how NU was turning a profit and others are trying to follow. A&M has dumped a ton of $$$ into the program. Mizzou did it, KU and KState are starting too more. The South teams will continue to as well. By the way Baylor has a nice stadium, as does A&M and Texas will always up the ante.

Third, Childress was tossed for arguing balls and strikes and usually from the dugout, so that arguement is moot.

Fourth, the fire is there a lot more than you think. The two comebacks against UCLA (and being competitive in that whole series for that matter), the comeback against Fresno, the rebound at the Texas St. tourney are all examples and there have been more. But what you have to understand is that it is hard to pound into the skulls of 18-22 years olds that any team can beat you and their A game is needed. It is human nature. As a former athlete I can vouch for that.

Finally, Danny Nee had the greatest run as an NU coach, so that arguement is absolute crap. Now if you had said Doc and the current state of the bball program you might have had something. Are you sure you are not a basketball fan cause I can see your points hit more at home with that program.

Finally, Danny Nee had the greatest run as an NU coach, so that arguement is absolute crap. Now if you had said Doc and the current state of the bball program you might have had something. Are you sure you are not a basketball fan cause I can see your points hit more at home with that program.

I agree with Nee having the greatest run. I mentioned it because those calling for his job used the excuse "he can recruit but not develop". I did then and still do, regret the termination of Nee.

As for other schools spending more $$$ on their baseball programs, obviously they are but is that a justifiable reason for NU's inability to achieve the goal of making the Big 12 tourney? Something needs to change. I'm far from knowledgeable enough to know exactly what but I have ears and can read. We've all read the stories regarding the unrest and rifts that exist among the players. (Have you seen the "ThisIsNebraska.com" video shown on the baseball program? If not please watch it. Then watch the video's on the other programs and afterwords ask yourself, why is the baseball scripted with freshmen? Why not Hauptman, Freeman and Kiry (a dual sport athlete for pete's sake)? Watch Anderwatson's video and tell me if you hear passion or just a script? Then watch Bo's and tell me if, like me, you get this sense of focus, of desire, of pride?

Yes they are 18-22 yo young men but... if managed with passion, they play with passion. Now is the time to find that coach to bring passion back to Haymarket.

PS: This Is Nebraska website link