Husker Baseball

Pitching staff performed well enough to win. Husker bats are beginning to appear as though they are picking up exactly where they left off last year. Mediocre at best.

Huskers lose in 11

How much longer will we have to endure Anderson's weak coaching and managing skills? Childress, where are you?

I think the weather pplayed a part in the hitting for both squads. However, Cole is the real freaking deal for the Bruins. Turned down first round money(see Bubba it is possible) from the Yankees after a stud run through the CWS last year. Keller pitched well today as well.

It doesn't get any easier tomorrow as Trevor Bauer probably takes the mound tomorrow and only led the nation in strikeouts last year. Both he and Cole pitched for Team USA last summer so they are the real deals.

Hopefully the hitting picks up tomorrow as well as the temperature so I can take my boys.

Someone who knows more about baseball should answer this for me, because I'm really confused. Bases loaded, 2 down, 11th inning, why don't you pinch hit for the guy that is 0-4 with 4 strike outs? I understand wanting to instill confidence in a guy especially this early in the year, but that's as close as you're going to get against this UCLA pitching. Farmer is obviously not feeling it today. I don't understand it.

I'll admit the husker pitching staff is surprising me. Where was this last weekend?

I still have my doubts about our pitching coach and... earlier I commented that Anderson' only smart move was asking Erstad to return. After Friday and Saturday games, even though we aren't scoring, I stand firm in my belief that Erstad is the guy. The batters are facing next level talent this weekend and we've shown patience. The small ball may be missing some though. Seems we've managed to get every bunt down that was needed so I find myself asking why we aren't trying to pressure the opponents with some of Van Horn's favorite "small ball" gaming? Maybe we don't have the speed in the lineup to do it?

Great win today. Man it was it was cold with the wind today out at Haymarket Park.

Two things though.

The hitting. People you have to realize NU easily saw what could be 1 and 1A when it comes to the top pitchers in the nation the last two days. Bauer was unreal today, think Tim Lincecum. Blazing fast ball, great breaking stuff, and a delivery that hides the ball well. Cole is much the same yesterday. C'mon Cole was still throwing 95 in the 8th innning yesterday and Bauer was mowing down hitters with ease in the 10th!!! Those two guys are studs. Say what you want about the lack of hitting but the adage that good pitching owns good hitting is true at all levels. Take note to the fact more that NU got great performances on the mound to answer Bauer and Cole.

Small Ball. Anderson has been playing small ball pretty much the last four or five years. Other than Adam Bailey there has been no big bat in the lineup that can go deep at any at bat. The new bats will continue the small ball in the college game. The running game was pretty much negated the last two days by Cole and Bauer with their ability to get the ball to the plate very quickly. Also I think NU may be a slower team this year. Peters and Christainson are probably the two quickest NU has and to run on the bases you first must get on which goes back to the first point. Bauer and Cole more or less take the hit and run away with their propencity to strike hitters out and limit contact.

People calling for Anderson's head sound like the people who call for Doc's. It isn't going to happen, at least for the next couple of years. The move to the easier Big 10/12, and the construction of the new indoor facility will also give Mike more time. This team can be good, especially if the pitching can maintain its level and may only get better when the NCAA pulls its head out of its ass and clears Ehlers.

• Fire 1

Great win today. Man it was it was cold with the wind today out at Haymarket Park.

Two things though.

The hitting. People you have to realize NU easily saw what could be 1 and 1A when it comes to the top pitchers in the nation the last two days. Bauer was unreal today, think Tim Lincecum. Blazing fast ball, great breaking stuff, and a delivery that hides the ball well. Cole is much the same yesterday. C'mon Cole was still throwing 95 in the 8th innning yesterday and Bauer was mowing down hitters with ease in the 10th!!! Those two guys are studs. Say what you want about the lack of hitting but the adage that good pitching owns good hitting is true at all levels. Take note to the fact more that NU got great performances on the mound to answer Bauer and Cole.

Small Ball. Anderson has been playing small ball pretty much the last four or five years. Other than Adam Bailey there has been no big bat in the lineup that can go deep at any at bat. The new bats will continue the small ball in the college game. The running game was pretty much negated the last two days by Cole and Bauer with their ability to get the ball to the plate very quickly. Also I think NU may be a slower team this year. Peters and Christainson are probably the two quickest NU has and to run on the bases you first must get on which goes back to the first point. Bauer and Cole more or less take the hit and run away with their propencity to strike hitters out and limit contact.

People calling for Anderson's head sound like the people who call for Doc's. It isn't going to happen, at least for the next couple of years. The move to the easier Big 10/12, and the construction of the new indoor facility will also give Mike more time. This team can be good, especially if the pitching can maintain its level and may only get better when the NCAA pulls its head out of its ass and clears Ehlers.

Very well said, on all accounts.. I was at the games with my girlfriend and she (not from Nebraska, just a baseball fan) was commenting on the lack of hitting.. I had to explain to her that we were facing possibly the two best pitchers we will see all year (Jungmann will be great also).. But Cole is an amazing talent.. Getting to see him in person yesterday just reassured that... I didn't get to see him in Omaha last year in person, but his stuff is just...WOW.

Sadly I'll be bowling in Iowa tomorrow and can't be at that game, but I'm hoping the bats will get going a little bit.. Let's get the series, it would be an absolutely HUGE early season win..

Edit...

Not to mention... take a look at our starting lineup, or even our roster for that matter.. Youth up and down.. Hauptman is a senior, and losing him will hurt, as will Freeman.. Losing Tolentino behind the plate hurts depth, but Burleson is a solid player.. assuming that no underclassmen that can leave do, this team will be absolutely stacked next year.

Here's a facebook message I got from a former player:

"I saw the profile pic on Unsportsmanlike Conduct's page..... I absolutely LOVE it! Get rid of that [edited]!"

I got one some time ago from a player's girlfriend last year who called Anderson a worse name than the one I cut out above (the player in question got 0 playing time, despite being a regular starter/contributor, when his entire family was in town for his graduation, and in case anyone wondered, no this was not Jake Mort, but there's a pattern developing, I hope you will see). I'm not concerned with wins and losses, his character behind the scenes is highly questionable.