Interesting Comments from Starling

Hercules

On Tim Beck's offense:

"When coach Pelini was here, he did talk about that a tiny bit. He said that instead of drop-back passes, they planned to do more rollouts. And that they were going to change things to make it more easy to understand the signals in the huddle and not make things so complicated.

"He talked about doing things that played to the quarterbacks' strengths, and that they planned to do a little more passing."

My link

I like hearing this. This sounds more like the spread option attack of Oregon or Michigan. The note that he's been promised he won't be redshirting - does that mean that if he ends up on campus, he'll get serious playing time at QB, or that they'll try to get him on the field somewhere else?

It's fun to think about ways of getting Martinez, Starling, Turner, Rex and Aaron Green all on the field at the same time...

I would be willing to bet that he will be in the role that Tebow had when he was a frosh. More of a short yardage back, inside the 10 type of guy.

He better put on some weight then... 6'5" 195? Even at 6'1" 205, Martinez is more of a Tebow-style athlete than Starling is. Don't see the point of using Starling in that role. I'd rather see him in the slot, like we used Bobby Newcombe his freshman year.

I would be willing to bet that he will be in the role that Tebow had when he was a frosh. More of a short yardage back, inside the 10 type of guy.

He better put on some weight then... 6'5" 195? Even at 6'1" 205, Martinez is more of a Tebow-style athlete than Starling is. Don't see the point of using Starling in that role. I'd rather see him in the slot, like we used Bobby Newcombe his freshman year.

I am thinking he was hinting at Bubba being the more "bruising" option at QB. Bubba will lower his shoulder and run you over if he doesn't juke you out of your jock. Taylor is more of alright you got me, I didn't outrace you to the sideline, please keep my ankle in it's joint when tackling me runner.

I am thinking he was hinting at Bubba being the more "bruising" option at QB. Bubba will lower his shoulder and run you over if he doesn't juke you out of your jock. Taylor is more of alright you got me, I didn't outrace you to the sideline, please keep my ankle in it's joint when tackling me runner.

I'd definitely like to see Taylor put on some weight and get more physical as a runner. But at 6'5" I doubt Starling will get low enough to put any kind of a mark on any Big 10 LB, and he needs to put on about 50 pounds before he fits the Cam Newton mold.

I'm sure Starling was able to run over his opponents in high school, but that was in Kansas High School football. That's not going to happen in the Big 10 unless he puts on a lot of weight.

I'd definitely like to see Taylor put on some weight and get more physical as a runner. But at 6'5" I doubt Starling will get low enough to put any kind of a mark on any Big 10 LB, and he needs to put on about 50 pounds before he fits the Cam Newton mold.

I'm sure Starling was able to run over his opponents in high school, but that was in Kansas High School football. That's not going to happen in the Big 10 unless he puts on a lot of weight.

Tis true, Herc. However with his baseball potential with NU(and down the road)if he ends up here, he will never put on that kind of weight. He has the frame of Newton and that could be a great example if we were talking solely football, but I am sure this all will be moot come mid August.

I don't think that "adding" roll-out passes are going to be such an easy fix for this offense. First of all, one has to have a quarterback that can throw accurately on the run. Additionally, one has to depend on the quarterback to make good, split second decisions... both things Taylor struggled with last season. Hopefully he (or another starting QB) can get it together before September 3.

This confirms what Jamal Turner was told when Bo & Beck visited him in late December. He said Beck would be simplifying the playbook.

And it plays more to Jamal's strengths, I believe it was mentioned before that Jamal was not a pocket passer but more of a roll out passer that needs to throw on the outside or through the lanes because of his height.

I hope that we see a steady helping of no-huddle offense from Coach Beck. I had this conversation with a friend of mine. Think about this:

A Big Ten team, say for instance Northwestern or Iowa comes out in a 4-3 defense. We line up with a three WR set with Kenny Bell, Brandon Kinnie, and say Quincy Enunwa on the field, we also have Kyler Reed in the slot along with Rex Burkhead, and Tmart. We then motion Rex out. So a LB will be covering either Kenny Bell, Rex Burkhead, or Kyler Reed. A mis-match is created somewhere. In the no-huddle offense that I really hope that Tim Beck brings to the table, instead of only having to deal with this for one play they either have to burn a time out or deal with it for an entire series. With the speed and athletes we have on offense there is only one team that I can think of that will be able to deal with this and that is Ohio State. I didnt even mention Jamal Turner or Aaron Green, or dare I say it, Bubba Starling. The Big Ten is not ready for the kind of athletes we are going to have on our roster.

On Tim Beck's offense:

"When coach Pelini was here, he did talk about that a tiny bit. He said that instead of drop-back passes, they planned to do more rollouts. And that they were going to change things to make it more easy to understand the signals in the huddle and not make things so complicated.

"He talked about doing things that played to the quarterbacks' strengths, and that they planned to do a little more passing."

My link

I like hearing this. This sounds more like the spread option attack of Oregon or Michigan. The note that he's been promised he won't be redshirting - does that mean that if he ends up on campus, he'll get serious playing time at QB, or that they'll try to get him on the field somewhere else?

It's fun to think about ways of getting Martinez, Starling, Turner, Rex and Aaron Green all on the field at the same time...

Dear Lord, haven't I been saying this for months now? Having a mobile QB roll out of the pocket where he is a threat to run or throw is just a no-brainer. Especially for a QB like Martinez who looks uncomfortable in the pocket. Gents, I think the future is bright for dear old Nebraska U.

I hope that we see a steady helping of no-huddle offense from Coach Beck. I had this conversation with a friend of mine. Think about this:

A Big Ten team, say for instance Northwestern or Iowa comes out in a 4-3 defense. We line up with a three WR set with Kenny Bell, Brandon Kinnie, and say Quincy Enunwa on the field, we also have Kyler Reed in the slot along with Rex Burkhead, and Tmart. We then motion Rex out. So a LB will be covering either Kenny Bell, Rex Burkhead, or Kyler Reed. A mis-match is created somewhere. In the no-huddle offense that I really hope that Tim Beck brings to the table, instead of only having to deal with this for one play they either have to burn a time out or deal with it for an entire series. With the speed and athletes we have on offense there is only one team that I can think of that will be able to deal with this and that is Ohio State. I didnt even mention Jamal Turner or Aaron Green, or dare I say it, Bubba Starling. The Big Ten is not ready for the kind of athletes we are going to have on our roster.

Not only do you have a potential mismatch, but with the personnel you're describing, there will be no safety help (assuming they are not in a zone defense). So aside from having a LB matched up in pass coverage (which, to be honest, may not be that terrible of a matchup if he is covering Rex), there will be no safety help over the top if Bell, Reed, BK, or Enunwa scoot down the field.

Moreover, this will leave just six defenders in the box (four DL, and two LBs) to stop Martinez from scrambling, which probably isn't going to get the job done.

Also, motioning Rex out gives you the option of a little fly motion if he (or anyone else) decides to sweep back across towards Martinez as the ball is snapped, creating sort of an exaggerated zone-read play for Martinez to either give it up or take it himself. Or he could fake the handoff to the fly motion and decide to throw. And so on.

Is it August yet?

• Fire 1