Interesting Comments from Starling

Hercules

On Tim Beck's offense:

"When coach Pelini was here, he did talk about that a tiny bit. He said that instead of drop-back passes, they planned to do more rollouts. And that they were going to change things to make it more easy to understand the signals in the huddle and not make things so complicated.

"He talked about doing things that played to the quarterbacks' strengths, and that they planned to do a little more passing."

My link

I like hearing this. This sounds more like the spread option attack of Oregon or Michigan. The note that he's been promised he won't be redshirting - does that mean that if he ends up on campus, he'll get serious playing time at QB, or that they'll try to get him on the field somewhere else?

It's fun to think about ways of getting Martinez, Starling, Turner, Rex and Aaron Green all on the field at the same time...

Dear Lord, haven't I been saying this for months now? Having a mobile QB roll out of the pocket where he is a threat to run or throw is just a no-brainer. Especially for a QB like Martinez who looks uncomfortable in the pocket. Gents, I think the future is bright for dear old Nebraska U.

I fully agree!

Bo now finally has "his" staff and I'm betting they'll tear things up. A healthy Tmart rolling out will give opponent DCs extreme good reason to attend their local AA meeting. Give the guy a crease and he's GONE. Sell out to contain him and there should be wide open wrs everywhere. Even better, with our new WR coach they might even start catching passes. Those poor DC dudes will be dying a horrible death having to pick thier poison.

For some reason 99% of the posters here can't see our freshman qb improving but I do and he's already a deadly threat when healthy. Yep, things are looking good for the Mudville boys.

On Tim Beck's offense:

"When coach Pelini was here, he did talk about that a tiny bit. He said that instead of drop-back passes, they planned to do more rollouts. And that they were going to change things to make it more easy to understand the signals in the huddle and not make things so complicated.

"He talked about doing things that played to the quarterbacks' strengths, and that they planned to do a little more passing."

My link

I like hearing this. This sounds more like the spread option attack of Oregon or Michigan. The note that he's been promised he won't be redshirting - does that mean that if he ends up on campus, he'll get serious playing time at QB, or that they'll try to get him on the field somewhere else?

It's fun to think about ways of getting Martinez, Starling, Turner, Rex and Aaron Green all on the field at the same time...

Dear Lord, haven't I been saying this for months now? Having a mobile QB roll out of the pocket where he is a threat to run or throw is just a no-brainer. Especially for a QB like Martinez who looks uncomfortable in the pocket. Gents, I think the future is bright for dear old Nebraska U.

I fully agree!

Bo now finally has "his" staff and I'm betting they'll tear things up. A healthy Tmart rolling out will give opponent DCs extreme good reason to attend their local AA meeting. Give the guy a crease and he's GONE. Sell out to contain him and there should be wide open wrs everywhere. Even better, with our new WR coach they might even start catching passes. Those poor DC dudes will be dying a horrible death having to pick thier poison.

For some reason 99% of the posters here can't see our freshman qb improving but I do and he's already a deadly threat when healthy. Yep, things are looking good for the Mudville boys.

:koolaid2:

next fall is going to be fun!

It was ridiculous toward end of yr with injured martinez that we didn't do any screens or bootlegs or anything to take pressure off a dazed kid who couldn't walk let alone run. Logic says we will see more short throws. I don't care what we do, just win baby.

So you propose that it is a good idea to run a bootleg with a quarterback who can't walk?

You might want to rethink that.

On Tim Beck's offense:

My link

The offense that Beck designed while at the Texas High School is one of the things that made him famous in Tx's and a key pick up for KU when he went there. It was very similar to what Florida ran with Tebo . . Beck was actually running that offense before Florida was. Looks for a spread offense with a pretty solid between the tackles running game but we're going to use shifty backs (ala Oregon) to create our mismatches in space. The goal is to have those guys at the line faster to basically make the play before its fully developed and the defense hasn't had the time to react to the read yet. Think about TM at the beginning of the season. That's what was happening. He was so quick to the play he was 2-3 yards down field to what the defense was reacting to.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Jamal's abilities would be better suited at a receiver position? I don't keep up with all the recruiting stuff, but in the UA all-american game he was playing WR and the recruiting sites talked alot about him playing there instead of a QB. I donno... just my $0.02.

I think it would be a mistake to move him to WR and I don't think he'll be there. This kid is very mature (I think he just turned 20 or is about to) and has had a lot of life experiences other kids haven't. He's survived because of his competitive nature. He's a true leader. Beck said last night that he's heard the other players have started to gravitate to him already in their work out sessions. I think TM could very well have a legit competition at QB. In an ideal world we get to red shirt JT for a year but I'm not sure that will happen if he picks up the offense as fast as the coaches think he will.

To bshirt (can't quote you on iPod daggummit):

Idk man- something about Tmart steppin into sacks like a blindfolded human piñata last season (injured or not) doesn't inspire confidence. He has the pocket presence of a mentally slow giraffe.

Or, to make an easier analogy, he's about as effective at avoiding the rush as Huskerboard members trying to post after KChusker_Chris.

da skers - that's all great news about Turner. I definitely want to keep him at QB. one question though, is he seriously that old already? 19 or 20 is really old for a would-be high school senior haha!

EDIT - I just read that he's now 18, which actually makes your point even stronger. He's VERY mature and has great leadership qualities already at such a young age.

It is all great and fun to think about changing the offense for our QBs to understand easier, but it all starts with the line. They were terrible and have been terrible. Cotton better get this figured out!!!!

One whole page of posts and only one comment on the O-Line. This is my biggest concern as well. Our line sucked against decent D's (and some not so decent ones) last year, and switching to a more rollout style, which our Oline is not really suited for, will only make things worse at the start. Barney's got a big offseason ahead of him, because it all starts in the trenches, and sadly that has been one of our weakest links. Please don't bring up all the success we had running the ball last year, because for the most part our Oline got routinely whipped. Nebraska's average YPC wasn't exactly stellar last year, and that includes all the big runs at the beginning of the year and in the Mizzou game. I can't wait til the day where I feel comfortable having Nebraska be in 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1 situations, because that hasn't been the case over the past few years.

• Fire 1

It is all great and fun to think about changing the offense for our QBs to understand easier, but it all starts with the line. They were terrible and have been terrible. Cotton better get this figured out!!!!

One whole page of posts and only one comment on the O-Line. This is my biggest concern as well. Our line sucked against decent D's (and some not so decent ones) last year, and switching to a more rollout style, which our Oline is not really suited for, will only make things worse at the start. Barney's got a big offseason ahead of him, because it all starts in the trenches, and sadly that has been one of our weakest links. Please don't bring up all the success we had running the ball last year, because for the most part our Oline got routinely whipped. Nebraska's average YPC wasn't exactly stellar last year, and that includes all the big runs at the beginning of the year and in the Mizzou game. I can't wait til the day where I feel comfortable having Nebraska be in 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1 situations, because that hasn't been the case over the past few years.

Everybody's concerned about the offensive line, but I haven't seen any of the offensive line recruits talking about how Tim Beck is going to change our scheme, like Bubba Starling did. If they do, we'll talk about it. I'm guessing they're going to be simplifying things for the offensive line too, and I'm guessing that the package as a whole will be more cohesive as we get rid of the "west coast" part of last year's hybrid spread option west coast offense.