Interesting Comments from Starling

Hercules

I hope that we see a steady helping of no-huddle offense from Coach Beck. I had this conversation with a friend of mine. Think about this:

A Big Ten team, say for instance Northwestern or Iowa comes out in a 4-3 defense. We line up with a three WR set with Kenny Bell, Brandon Kinnie, and say Quincy Enunwa on the field, we also have Kyler Reed in the slot along with Rex Burkhead, and Tmart. We then motion Rex out. So a LB will be covering either Kenny Bell, Rex Burkhead, or Kyler Reed. A mis-match is created somewhere. In the no-huddle offense that I really hope that Tim Beck brings to the table, instead of only having to deal with this for one play they either have to burn a time out or deal with it for an entire series. With the speed and athletes we have on offense there is only one team that I can think of that will be able to deal with this and that is Ohio State. I didnt even mention Jamal Turner or Aaron Green, or dare I say it, Bubba Starling. The Big Ten is not ready for the kind of athletes we are going to have on our roster.

Yeah Ohio State is the only one they are seeing with the talent level and that is the reason they dominate year in and out. Now to make it a constant two team race with some occasional challenges from Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State. (How far will Penn State spiral when Joe Pa finally goes?)

It is all great and fun to think about changing the offense for our QBs to understand easier, but it all starts with the line. They were terrible and have been terrible. Cotton better get this figured out!!!!

One whole page of posts and only one comment on the O-Line. This is my biggest concern as well. Our line sucked against decent D's (and some not so decent ones) last year, and switching to a more rollout style, which our Oline is not really suited for, will only make things worse at the start. Barney's got a big offseason ahead of him, because it all starts in the trenches, and sadly that has been one of our weakest links. Please don't bring up all the success we had running the ball last year, because for the most part our Oline got routinely whipped. Nebraska's average YPC wasn't exactly stellar last year, and that includes all the big runs at the beginning of the year and in the Mizzou game. I can't wait til the day where I feel comfortable having Nebraska be in 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1 situations, because that hasn't been the case over the past few years.

I still believe that most of the problems with the line last year came from having such an inconsistant offense, or play caller. We kept changing things up constantly and not just minor tweeks.

Anyway you can't have one without the other they all have to be on the same page otherwise none of it will work. So hopefully Bo having who he wants where, will help with the continuity issues they have had.

• Fire 1

Sorry, but Taylor has enough trouble with accuracy when standing still most the time, why do people think that him trying to throw on the run will be a positive thing?

He'll have better vision, won't have to worry about managing the pocket, will be able to improvise and run the ball if he wants to... Plus maybe since he'll be outside of the tackle box he'll have an easier time learning how to throw the ball away, since he can just throw it into the stands if he wants to... Just as long as he doesn't underhand flip it again...

• Fire 1

Sorry, but Taylor has enough trouble with accuracy when standing still most the time, why do people think that him trying to throw on the run will be a positive thing?

He'll have better vision, won't have to worry about managing the pocket, will be able to improvise and run the ball if he wants to... Plus maybe since he'll be outside of the tackle box he'll have an easier time learning how to throw the ball away, since he can just throw it into the stands if he wants to... Just as long as he doesn't underhand flip it again...

It's much more difficult to read a defense while you are on the move than standing in the pocket, when you roll out you get limited to basically half the field rather than having the whole field. Taylor struggled to make reads in the pocket, why will rolling out allow him to make better decsions? It's more difficult to throw an accurate ball on the run than standing still. When he got to the outside this year we saw things like flipping the ball, throwing across his body in the end zone to Travis Lewis, running but not tucking the ball resulting in fumbles.

Obviously spring and fall practices should help this out, but I've never understood why people think that having a player move out of the pocket will improve poor vision, decision making or throwing accuracy.

I don't think that "adding" roll-out passes are going to be such an easy fix for this offense. First of all, one has to have a quarterback that can throw accurately on the run. Additionally, one has to depend on the quarterback to make good, split second decisions... both things Taylor struggled with last season. Hopefully he (or another starting QB) can get it together before September 3.

Cue the call for Brion Carnes.

Taylor struggled to make reads in the pocket, why will rolling out allow him to make better decsions?

You answered your own question...

when you roll out you get limited to basically half the field rather than having the whole field.

Let me add that as you roll, so do the defenders, you now have 5-7 defenders in about 1/2 the space as you do in the pocket which makes the reads more difficult, it's much easier for defenders to make breaks or hide when the field is congested.

Joe Ganz was a prime example of this IYAM.

Taylor struggled to make reads in the pocket, why will rolling out allow him to make better decsions?

You answered your own question...

when you roll out you get limited to basically half the field rather than having the whole field.

Let me add that as you roll, so do the defenders, you now have 5-7 defenders in about 1/2 the space as you do in the pocket which makes the reads more difficult, it's much easier for defenders to make breaks or hide when the field is congested.

Joe Ganz was a prime example of this IYAM.

When a QB has the speed Martinez has, defenders have to be more concerned with him running, so receivers will have a better chance to get open. One guy isn't going to stop him in the open field very often.

If we have anywhere near the passing game we had with Ganz, I'll be more than fine with it. Those D-lineman are going to tire quickly chasing someone like Martinez all over the field. My only concern is if he can get his hips set to make his throws. If Beck can teach him that, he's going to be a hell of a weapon in rollout situations.

It's much more difficult to read a defense while you are on the move than standing in the pocket, when you roll out you get limited to basically half the field rather than having the whole field. Taylor struggled to make reads in the pocket, why will rolling out allow him to make better decsions? It's more difficult to throw an accurate ball on the run than standing still. When he got to the outside this year we saw things like flipping the ball, throwing across his body in the end zone to Travis Lewis, running but not tucking the ball resulting in fumbles.

Obviously spring and fall practices should help this out, but I've never understood why people think that having a player move out of the pocket will improve poor vision, decision making or throwing accuracy.

I'm pretty sure that part of the simplification of the offense will also be simplifying the reads that the QB has to make. Rather than having a progression of 4 receivers to go through, maybe Martinez will have two reads, and if he gets through both of those, RUN. Being outside of the pocket will make that easier. The reason it will improve his vision is because he's only 6'1", and he's trying to stand in the pocket surrounded by lineman who are all 6'6", so he can't see everything. It's why NFL teams like having guys that are 6'4" or 6'5".

Martinez isn't going to go from bad passer to good passer just because he rolls out. But I think it will play to his strengths as an athlete, which it sounds like is what they're trying to do with this offense.

As far as Carnes throwing on the run (which somebody else mentioned, not jilehr), I have yet to see him throw a tight spiral, and he had a couple of great receivers down at his high school. I'll be extremely surprised if he is as good of a passer in college as he appears in his high school highlights tape.

To bshirt (can't quote you on iPod daggummit):

Idk man- something about Tmart steppin into sacks like a blindfolded human piñata last season (injured or not) doesn't inspire confidence. He has the pocket presence of a mentally slow giraffe.

Or, to make an easier analogy, he's about as effective at avoiding the rush as Huskerboard members trying to post after KChusker_Chris.

lol!

Yeah, KC has a brutal, unfair advantage. It's impossible to think clearly with his avatar staring right at you. :)

Heh...when healthy Tmart blows by those Dlineman/lbs like scalded dog. You'll see my friend. It won't be a problem.

On Tim Beck's offense:

"When coach Pelini was here, he did talk about that a tiny bit. He said that instead of drop-back passes, they planned to do more rollouts. And that they were going to change things to make it more easy to understand the signals in the huddle and not make things so complicated.

"He talked about doing things that played to the quarterbacks' strengths, and that they planned to do a little more passing."

My link

I like hearing this. This sounds more like the spread option attack of Oregon or Michigan. The note that he's been promised he won't be redshirting - does that mean that if he ends up on campus, he'll get serious playing time at QB, or that they'll try to get him on the field somewhere else?

It's fun to think about ways of getting Martinez, Starling, Turner, Rex and Aaron Green all on the field at the same time...

"When coach Pelini was here, he did talk about that a tiny bit. He said that instead of drop-back passes, they planned to do more rollouts.

If you look at the tape on Brion Carnes and Jamal Turner and even Bubba, this is exactly, what they do well. I know Martinez is fast but he is not known for throwing on the run. So I think Brion, Jamal and Bubba will give Taylor a run for his money in terms of being the starter at NU. Bubba is a big question mark but Brion and Jamal are good at the rollout passing technique.

I don't think that "adding" roll-out passes are going to be such an easy fix for this offense. First of all, one has to have a quarterback that can throw accurately on the run. Additionally, one has to depend on the quarterback to make good, split second decisions... both things Taylor struggled with last season. Hopefully he (or another starting QB) can get it together before September 3.

Cue the call for Brion Carnes.

Unless Brion regresses he is going to kill at this.

This why I call him the darkhouse to take over the QB spot real soon.

Look at his HS vids and he is sick at this.