Interesting Comments from Starling

Hercules

I hope that we see a steady helping of no-huddle offense from Coach Beck. I had this conversation with a friend of mine. Think about this:

A Big Ten team, say for instance Northwestern or Iowa comes out in a 4-3 defense. We line up with a three WR set with Kenny Bell, Brandon Kinnie, and say Quincy Enunwa on the field, we also have Kyler Reed in the slot along with Rex Burkhead, and Tmart. We then motion Rex out. So a LB will be covering either Kenny Bell, Rex Burkhead, or Kyler Reed. A mis-match is created somewhere. In the no-huddle offense that I really hope that Tim Beck brings to the table, instead of only having to deal with this for one play they either have to burn a time out or deal with it for an entire series. With the speed and athletes we have on offense there is only one team that I can think of that will be able to deal with this and that is Ohio State. I didnt even mention Jamal Turner or Aaron Green, or dare I say it, Bubba Starling. The Big Ten is not ready for the kind of athletes we are going to have on our roster.

Not only do you have a potential mismatch, but with the personnel you're describing, there will be no safety help (assuming they are not in a zone defense). So aside from having a LB matched up in pass coverage (which, to be honest, may not be that terrible of a matchup if he is covering Rex), there will be no safety help over the top if Bell, Reed, BK, or Enunwa scoot down the field.

Moreover, this will leave just six defenders in the box (four DL, and two LBs) to stop Martinez from scrambling, which probably isn't going to get the job done.

Also, motioning Rex out gives you the option of a little fly motion if he (or anyone else) decides to sweep back across towards Martinez as the ball is snapped, creating sort of an exaggerated zone-read play for Martinez to either give it up or take it himself. Or he could fake the handoff to the fly motion and decide to throw. And so on.

Is it August yet?

I really want it to be. I'm tell you, they are not ready.

I don't think that "adding" roll-out passes are going to be such an easy fix for this offense. First of all, one has to have a quarterback that can throw accurately on the run. Additionally, one has to depend on the quarterback to make good, split second decisions... both things Taylor struggled with last season. Hopefully he (or another starting QB) can get it together before September 3.

Cue the call for Brion Carnes.

Unless Brion regresses he is going to kill at this.

This why I call him the darkhouse to take over the QB spot real soon.

Look at his HS vids and he is sick at this.

Absolutely! Players said last season Brion was the second best passer on the team. Lee was first and he is now gone. Coaches said Brion is a dream to coach and is alwYs studying film, asking coaches how he looked, if he scripted his passes, etc. He's a leader and a team guy. A quiet guy. He's got his picture up all over the wall as one of the best scout team performers.

Last year taylor didn't have any qb's behind him to match his speed...he was a 4.4 guy. Competing against 4.7 guys. With Brion and Jamal this spring in the mix, he's going to have a lot more foot competition. The leader, best passer, and best understanding of the offense is going to be who wins the job. Look for brion to close in on taylor.

I would be willing to bet that he will be in the role that Tebow had when he was a frosh. More of a short yardage back, inside the 10 type of guy.

He better put on some weight then... 6'5" 195? Even at 6'1" 205, Martinez is more of a Tebow-style athlete than Starling is. Don't see the point of using Starling in that role. I'd rather see him in the slot, like we used Bobby Newcombe his freshman year.

To be fair, Martinez was only like 175 his sr year of high school, and now he's 205. So it's not unfathomable to see starling putting on 30-35 pounds and becoming a bruising type of runner..

I would be willing to bet that he will be in the role that Tebow had when he was a frosh. More of a short yardage back, inside the 10 type of guy.

He better put on some weight then... 6'5" 195? Even at 6'1" 205, Martinez is more of a Tebow-style athlete than Starling is. Don't see the point of using Starling in that role. I'd rather see him in the slot, like we used Bobby Newcombe his freshman year.

To be fair, Martinez was only like 175 his sr year of high school, and now he's 205. So it's not unfathomable to see starling putting on 30-35 pounds and becoming a bruising type of runner..

If he can put on 30-40 pounds without losing much speed, look out.

Players said last season Brion was the second best passer on the team. Lee was first

That's not exactly saying a whole lot.

Whether Lee posted the stats on the field or not, he was the guy who could make all the throws and was technically pretty good.

But the fact that nobody else on the team was anywhere close, I guess, does mean this doesn't say too much.

Players said last season Brion was the second best passer on the team. Lee was first

Whether Lee posted the stats on the field or not, he was the guy who could make all the throws and was technically pretty good.

But the fact that nobody else on the team was anywhere close, I guess, does mean this doesn't say too much.

LOL ok.

I would agree he could make the throws before the mid season injury but not after. He's lying when he says he was good to go after a week and was making the throws. He had no zip on his ball and almost zero accuracy past 20 yards. Betty White could throw it harder. He's very lucky Bo didn't need him and we'd see how full of sh#t he was. Him saying that was a small way of getting back at Bo. Its no secret he lost his starting job because Bo wanted him to have the surgery after Spring ball and he went ahead and did it before.

I was very disturbed when I talked to guys at practice and would hear that Lee couldn't pull off the throws and then he's telling the media he was fine. I lost some respect for him because he had handled the benching way better than I would have and then he pulled that.

I thought Bo was the guy that always said he was fine. Lee only said so in an interview after his career was over, after the Bowl game. I think he got in garbage time in his last home game and we all saw that lack of zip on his throws there. So the stuff coming out after the season about him being healthy I always wondered about.

Correct me if I'm wrong about Bo by the way. Not entirely sure what the company line on Lee from Bo was, I had /thought/ he maintained all his QBs were healthy.

The couple of times I talked to Zac he told me he was fine. Now, I'm not the press so it's not a "statement," but he never said he was incapable of anything. Gave my a wry smile when I asked him why he wasn't playing.

I refuse to believe that Zac was not worthy of respect. The guy seemed aces to me. I'd have to hear far more than a statement that he wasn't being totally forthcoming about the severity of his injury. That sounds to me like a guy who wanted to see the field. The way Martinez was playing, putting Lee in couldn't have hurt, even if he couldn't throw the ball past 20 yards.

Betty White would have been an improvement over what we saw from Martinez and Green the latter half of the season.

But that's all water under the bridge. Lee is gone after being an exemplary Husker, and neither Green nor Martinez nor Carnes nor Turner are going to get injured in 2011. Everyone will be healthy and we'll have wonderful QB play from everyone to talk about all season long.

I thought Bo was the guy that always said he was fine. Lee only said so in an interview after his career was over, after the Bowl game. I think he got in garbage time in his last home game and we all saw that lack of zip on his throws there. So the stuff coming out after the season about him being healthy I always wondered about.

Correct me if I'm wrong about Bo by the way. Not entirely sure what the company line on Lee from Bo was, I had /thought/ he maintained all his QBs were healthy.

I think the coaches statements where that he was a little banged up but he could go. Which eventually got up graded to he's fine. Just like all the other hurt players in the past 3 years. Those statements are made so the team can't use injuries as an excuse. The previous set of coaches had a tendency to let players feel sorry for themselves. Everyone has them so everyone has to deal with them. Some teams are just deeper talent wise than others.

lol!

You're nothing if not relentless old friend..... :cheers