Who is the best local sports writer covering Husker Football?

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Best = Shatel

Worst = Dick

Dick really has pushed me away not only with his coverage of the coaching search but also his coverage of the Huskers basketball team. I used to follow him on Twitter to get updates but I got fed up with everything he said. Never gave anyone any credit for doing anything good.

Example - Huskers beat Texas in bball....not a single line/comment. Huskers lose to ANYONE he drops 15-20 different lines about how bad they are and how inconsistent. I get it, they were inconsistent and lost to bad teams, but come on...absolutely nothing to say about one of the greatest victories in recent Husker BBall history? He's just as bad as local Omaha news, never responds to anything positive, it doesn't get the attention. To me, he is definitely trying to become a polarizing figure for his own professional gain. Not saying he should never be critical - but give the damn players some credit sometimes instead of always berating and criticizing. Just makes you seem like a bitter, hateful Hawkeye fan.

:boxosoap

Nailed it. He's a joke.

Isn't Dirk going to ESPN??

Best = Shatel

Worst = Dick

Dick really has pushed me away not only with his coverage of the coaching search but also his coverage of the Huskers basketball team. I used to follow him on Twitter to get updates but I got fed up with everything he said. Never gave anyone any credit for doing anything good.

Example - Huskers beat Texas in bball....not a single line/comment. Huskers lose to ANYONE he drops 15-20 different lines about how bad they are and how inconsistent. I get it, they were inconsistent and lost to bad teams, but come on...absolutely nothing to say about one of the greatest victories in recent Husker BBall history? He's just as bad as local Omaha news, never responds to anything positive, it doesn't get the attention. To me, he is definitely trying to become a polarizing figure for his own professional gain. Not saying he should never be critical - but give the damn players some credit sometimes instead of always berating and criticizing. Just makes you seem like a bitter, hateful Hawkeye fan.

:boxosoap

Nailed it. He's a joke.

Isn't Dirk going to ESPN??

That's Mitch Sherman.

I voted Shatel as the worst . . . nothing worse than a lapdog reporter and both he and Sipple fall into that category. Both are fine writers . . . but they are far too concerned about offending the university.

The job of a reporter is to find the news and report it. Those two, more often than not, are just mouthpieces for the official line.

I'd agree that Sam is the best. I don't mind Shatel, some of his stuff is good, some is fluff. I can't stand Sip. Maybe it's from hearing him on the radio and saying nothing more than, "Gee, I dunno......" for and entire 15 minute interview, but he just bugs the hell outta me.

During the season I would read anything that Mitch Sherman wrote. Very good and very non bias when it came to pushing peoples butt-hurt buttons. Plus greatest theme song ever on Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Best of luck to him at Espn.

Dirk looks like a tool and can report like a tool, but I have to give him mad props for the signing day teleconference fiasco. Did his job, and asked the questions we all wanted some clarity to.

I voted Brian C as the worst just because his photo on the Journal Star's Life in the Red Blogs looks like the kid from Freaks and Geeks

Lee Barfknecht is missing from this list. Not familiar with Jon and Rich. Sam's the runaway winner here. I also like Dirk and Sipple, in different ways. I remember not liking Shatel very much, but I don't remember why anymore.

He's too busy worshipping Michigan to seriously consider the Huskers.

props to knapplc for this poll. very clever.

from what ive seen, some should keep in mind the poll covers 'football.'

Thanks for the props. I did screw up, though - when I first posted it, I forgot to specify football coverage. That's where a lot of the questions came from early on in the thread. I edited it later on.