• 1 month later...

I've said it before and I'm saying it again now - I think EA needs to shelve NCAA football and come out with a new edition in 2014. This isn't going to happen, but there's great reason to suggest that it should.

The game is broken at the very basics of the foundation. I could spend a long time talking about how unrealistic a lot of the aspects of the game are, but I won't go into great detail. The fact that a lot of the same problems with NCAA '11 are still prevalent in NCAA '12, and worse in some cases, makes me question what EA does every year when prepping these games. They, pure and simply, do not put out a good product.

You have defensive backs breaking in and making interceptions when a receiver is wide open. Linebackers with four and a half foot verticals. Quarterbacks who, regardless of their accuracy and throw power rating, make unfailingly terrible throws on a consistent basis.

Arguably the most frustrating thing from a personal stand point is how terrible the option game is - whether you are running a traditional option or the read option. The read option, more often than not, results in a loss for me. Even if I read the defensive end correctly, the end generally makes the play on my ball carrier whether it's the qb or rb. I created my own offense based on a power running game with the option attack, and I've recruited players to fit this scheme, yet the option is still hit or miss. One of the other frustrating tricks with the option is how slow the qb is. Why is it when a quarterback chooses to scramble out of a pass in this game he hits full speed almost instantly, yet a designed run play takes seconds to develop as the quarterback gains speed? Running an option game, or even trying to play with georgia tech, is near impossible.

Get your stuff together, EA.

This is first time in about 12 years that I haven't bought the game. I wasn't overly impressed with the demo, and now I'm kinda glad I didn't spend the money on it.

Do you play online? I don't have the new one, but I have 2011 and have been looking for some decent competition. I'm 11-1 (1 loss came because my controller went dead on me and it kicked me off.)

• 2 months later...

The only option plays I see any consistent success out of are the Power Option out of the Wishbone and the Speed option out of the Pistol-Ace/Shotgun-Ace/Ace. In order to get the speed option to work though, I have to shift the off-side TE to the run side.

I will say, outside of the option I really do like the running game. The passing game draw my ire more than anything. I've played seasons upon seasons, and haven't seen a single Pass Interference call but constantly see DB's warping through WR's to break up passes or intercept them. That, and the fact that MLB's have 4 foot verticals and super human reflexes.

The only option plays I see any consistent success out of are the Power Option out of the Wishbone and the Speed option out of the Pistol-Ace/Shotgun-Ace/Ace. In order to get the speed option to work though, I have to shift the off-side TE to the run side.

I will say, outside of the option I really do like the running game. The passing game draw my ire more than anything. I've played seasons upon seasons, and haven't seen a single Pass Interference call but constantly see DB's warping through WR's to break up passes or intercept them. That, and the fact that MLB's have 4 foot verticals and super human reflexes.

First, with the bolded part, this is exactly what I've experienced. The wishbone is really the only consistent option formation I use. I almost never run option out of the i formation, as I find my luck to be much worse with that formation than any other. I think wishbone, shotgun and pistol are the formations I use in that order. But the lack of quarterback mobility, how easily defenders blow off blocks and how rarely the option works make me question if EA really spent any time developing this part of the game. I understand nobody really runs the option anymore, but come on. I do agree, however, that the other parts of the running game are pretty good.

And with the passing game, everything you said there is true. I've bumped up offensive and defensive pass interference sliders to 100%, and I've never had a PI call made. The fact that we've noticed DB's make ridiculous plays on the ball by warping through the receiver, and that middle linebackers have four foot verticals and know exactly where to go and what to do to stop our pass, should showcase that things are broken. These are the exact problems I've noticed too. Not only have I played probably hundreds of games by this point, but you and I have both probably seen tons of real college football games. In one game I probably have more passes batted by a linebacker than I ever seen in an entire real college football season.

First, with the bolded part, this is exactly what I've experienced. The wishbone is really the only consistent option formation I use. I almost never run option out of the i formation, as I find my luck to be much worse with that formation than any other. I think wishbone, shotgun and pistol are the formations I use in that order. But the lack of quarterback mobility, how easily defenders blow off blocks and how rarely the option works make me question if EA really spent any time developing this part of the game. I understand nobody really runs the option anymore, but come on. I do agree, however, that the other parts of the running game are pretty good.

I've had some success running the option out of the I, but only the Lead/Load/Power options. Triple Option is almost worthless, which made me sad. I can get the triple option out of the Diamond (it's a Pistol formation, can't remember the name) to work on occasion, and when it does it goes for big yards, but not very often. As mentioned, read options are ridiculously ineffective. I understand that you won't want to overpower the option, but it also needs be a valid play that works more than once every 20 tries.

Now, that being said, I can still pretty much dominate at least the CPU offensively using about 5 plays as long as I have a mobile QB. HB Slam, HB Power, Speed Option, Power Option, and Deep Strike. The first four are just ones where you run them over and over and learn the blocking schemes to know where the lanes will be. Deep Strike, you key on the safeties and the MLB. Your slot receiver on the right will run a post, slot on the left a corner to the left, and both your wideouts will run fly patterns. If the safeties drop back and out, you throw it to the slant over the middle for 20+ yards. If the MLB moves outside, you can scramble up the middle and average about 10 yards per carry. If the safeties stay in the middle and don't drop to help on the fly routes, take a chance throwing it deep. 90% of defensive calls are vulnerable to this play, and the calls that do stop it don't seem to be used by the CPU very often. As broken as the passing is, there is still a way to get around it.

Haven't played this game for 2 months but last time I did I can remember having huge success online with the triple reverse option out of the I, but that was set up with inside runs and failed triple options.

And I got pissed at how much you had to anticipate your pitch to have any success with it. If the D was about to tackle you and you hit the pitch button you would only get the pitch off maybe 1 out of every 100 times which is terrible most good option QB pitch as they are being hit/wrapped up. Seems like you had to hit the button a full second before you would even get tackled and then the defender may not even commit to the QB or was in position to intercept the pitch when it was released.

Are you folks involved in any online dynasties right now? havent used that option but was thinking about getting in one. I've primarily just messed around the Road to Glory and Offline Dynasty. And of course Teambuilder quite a bit.

I haven't yet. Just don't feel like I can commit to consistently taking care of a team enough to really do it. I am working on an offline dynasty though. Spent 4 years as the OC for Nebraska, then took the HC job at Boston College. Waiting for the HC job at Nebraska to open up now. :D

I'm kinda getting tired of it. I'm on All American, playing as Boston College in my Dynasty. I'm stuck on a game vs. Notre Dame. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem losing, but I've played the game 10 times now. They run the 3-3-5 which my O-line apparently cannot comprehend for pass pro. I have all of 1 second to pass, and usually I get called for a hold in that 1 second if I manage to get the ball off. Their QB is balls fast and doesn't miss when he throws even when sprinting, while my QB can't get it within 10 feet of the WR when if he is planted and looking straight at the guy. Oh, and I fumble at least once a series and they have amazing ball security. I don't know if the game has a boner for Notre Dame, but I'm about ready to call it quits.

Think we have all learned our lesson from EA Sports. You can't buy their games until 2 months have gone by so they can fix all the glitches and bugs that they release with the game...

The game plays smooth now, and I am enjoying every minute of it with my All-American slider sets. Heisman tries to cheat you so hard.

What slider settings do you use and what kind of an offense do you run? I find a slider setting that works pretty well but I'm curious. On the setting I found and use, for example, tweaked the WR stats and I think DB stats in order to create "three to four drops per game." But I seem to come across anywhere 5-7 drops a game.

I'm still having a lot of trouble passing in this game, regardless of sliders, team or difficulty level. As I have mentioned before, the linebackers make far too many ridiculous blocks over the middle of the field. Far more than occur in real life. The only way to consistently move the ball with the passing game is to call hot routes, at least in my estimations. DB's make ridiculous cuts on the ball and quarterbacks almost NEVER hit the receiver in perfect stride. I've yet to see my quarterback throw a ball that allows the receiver to maintain their full velocity.