TE Brent Wilkerson [Penn State Commit]

Nexus

You're right, I don't like Barney, but its because he's a terrible coach.

My problem is offering scholorships to players that don't deserve them, then accepting and defending their play on the field. Meanwhile wondering why we have slipped into mediocrity.

Ben Cotton had a good year. He's primarily in there to block and he did pretty well. He dropped a couple passes but made just as many tough catches with the few opportunities he had. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion about how Ben played, but it looks like your bias towards Barney is clouding your judgement from where I sit.

Anyways... Any new info on Wilkerson? Good TE's can really make an offense go.

My problem is offering scholorships to players that don't deserve them, then accepting and defending their play on the field. Meanwhile wondering why we have slipped into mediocrity.

I understand what you're saying. And I agree in regards to Sam Cotton, but hopefully he proves us wrong and turns into a good player for us. However, I don't think there is any room to complain about Ben.

And Barney is the one who determines who does and does not gets offers? You think Bo would risk his career on making sure his buddies kids get a full ride? If this were going on, you would think Bo's nephew would have gotten a scholarship as well. No offense to your ability to determine who and who isn't worthy of a scholarship from NU, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the coaches might be just slightly better at evaluating talent.

I guess we could take this up in the many Barney bashing threads, but as for this thread we are both entitled to our opinions. You can keep accepting mediocre TE play and I'll keep expecting something better. I hope the coaches can reel him in because we really need him.

He's only considering us and Penn St. Really hope we can get this guy, it would be incredible to finally get a decent TE prospect.

Kyler Reed? Ben Cotton?

One that can actually block and catch, not just one or the other.

Ben Cotton actually showed this year that he was more reliable than Kyler at catching passes, if you ask me. He really turned into an all-around TE for us.

I think you just made my point. If Ben Cotton is our best TE and you guys are ok with that than its no wonder why we seem to be slipping farther and farther away from national relevance.

As far as prospects go . . . looks like this kid is #18 and Cotton was #25. I suppose those numbers matter when evaluating Wilkerson but not Cotton?

FWIW I'm also not a fan of Barney.

I'll be shocked if Ben Cotton doesn't get drafted after his SR year. His blocking alone will get him a look, and he seemed to catch just about everything thrown at him this year IMO.

Agree. He's got the size (which is 50% of the NFL evaluation, see: Paul, Niles) It's not Ben's fault our offense is designed in such a way that limits his usefulness. If we were still WC he'd probably have 400+ yards. Instead he gets 15 balls thrown his way all season. Every one of which seems to be a crucial 3rd and long. I can remember a few catches this year in 3rd and long situations where Ben kept the drive going by taking a shot over the middle catching a ball that got there late.

As far as prospects go . . . looks like this kid is #18 and Cotton was #25. I suppose those numbers matter when evaluating Wilkerson but not Cotton?

Yes, I suppose that matters, but what I think is even more telling is the their offer list. Take a look at Wilkerson's impressive offer list then take a look at Ben's, Jake's and Sam's.

Wilkerson:

Nebraska, Boston College, Clemson, Delaware, Duke, Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Penn State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia

Ben Cotton: Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa St, Kansas, Louisville, Wisconsin

Jake Cotton: Nebraska

Sam Cotton: Nebraska, Ohio, Tulsa

The fact is that there are a lot of teams beside Nebraska that actually want him. I know you'll say that being the coaches son hurts their chances of getting offers, but believe me if a school wants you, they'll offer.

Yes, I suppose that matters, but what I think is even more telling is the their offer list. Take a look at Wilkerson's impressive offer list then take a look at Ben's, Jake's and Sam's. The fact is that there are a lot of teams beside Nebraska that actually want him. I know you'll say that being the coaches son hurt their chances to get offers, but believe me if a team wants you, they'll offer.

I do agree that the offer list of a kid can be telling. There's no doubt that this kid is on top of everyone's list. Keep in mind that Ben did have offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Louisville and Wisconsion. I don't agree witht he 2nd part of the post though. I tend to think coaches probably don't want to waste a lot of time recruiting a kid that they feel there is no chance of getting. Not saying the other Cotton boys would have offer lists like Ben's but I do believe some teams didn't even bother due to belief that there is no chance of them going anywhere besides Nebraska. For whatever it's worth, Ferentz's son did not have any offers to any other schools when he comitted back in 2008... atleast according to Rivals.

I'll be shocked if Ben Cotton doesn't get drafted after his SR year. His blocking alone will get him a look, and he seemed to catch just about everything thrown at him this year IMO.

Agree. He's got the size (which is 50% of the NFL evaluation, see: Paul, Niles) It's not Ben's fault our offense is designed in such a way that limits his usefulness. If we were still WC he'd probably have 400+ yards. Instead he gets 15 balls thrown his way all season. Every one of which seems to be a crucial 3rd and long. I can remember a few catches this year in 3rd and long situations where Ben kept the drive going by taking a shot over the middle catching a ball that got there late.

Absolutely agree. He was taking big shots and still bringing the ball in. Big grabs too like you mentioned.

Some comments from an interview with Wilkerson:

“I liked Nebraska’s coaches. They were real honest and straight forward. If Nebraska has an advantage it would be because of my conversation with the coaches, and coach Bo.”

“He (Pelini) told me that they have two guys that are their playing tight end right now,” Wilkerson said.” They are going to be gone after next year, and he said there really isn’t a lot of depth behind them. He told me that I could come in and compete right away, and after those guys are gone, I could get a lot of playing time if I choose Nebraska. He said I would have to come in and work real hard and earn my stripes and stuff too. ”

“You know the two schools are a lot a like,” Wilkerson said. “I would say Nebraska’s football facilities are a lot nicer though. I liked their weight room and stuff and the town was nicer. Facilities aren’t really to big of a deal, but Nebraska’s were definitely nicer.”