[Video] Martinez speaks to media

Nexus

One thing that kinda struck me from that interview -

When asked if the criticism from media and fans towards the end of last year wore on him, he responded ..

"No, no, not at all. I don't really watch TV, or listen to stuff you guys write, or other people write. I've gotten tons of criticism, I've heard it from some players, some coaches, some people around town, that they all don't really like me. I don't really care what other people think about me."

Yikes.

I guarantee someone in the football offices had a little talk with Taylor about what to say, and what not to say when the media is around.

To be fair on this, I think Martinez was trying to say that the players and coaches were telling him what the media was saying about him.

:yeah

The poor guy looks SO uncomfortable out there among the media. That is so not his comfort zone. He's tremendously awkward, and it comes off as arrogance, but it really isn't.

Still, he's not going to get better at this by staying away from the microphones. So he goes up there and plugs away. And I cringe.

Thankfully he's a hell of a lot better behind center than in front of the mic. And that's all that counts.

Honestly he doesn't come across as that bright

Ever clammed up talking to a pretty girl? He's got 20 mics in his mug. Do you really think this is the best situation to judge his intelligence?

Also, Dirk Chatelain is very dreamy :)

By the way - Taylor flat out throwing last year's coordinator under the bus, using "last year I wasn't given enough freedom to change plays" as an excuse, falls completely outside the scope of being awkward. The reporters even gave him a chance to say the freedom was a product of being a year older and a year wiser.

I am still none too comfortable with this rhetoric.

Ah, Zoogies. Don't worry. 90% of the offensive guys are thinking the same thing: Watson was a boat anchor of an OC that handcuffed them. Listen to Yoshi's interview and you'll hear the same kind of stuff. The only real difference is that unlike most of the other guys, Taylor's awkwardness prevents him from being diplomatic about it. This is actually a case in point of why I think he has some Apserger's type of deal. Instead of being coy and saying, "It's not the different coaches so much as me having more experience," Taylor lacks the awareness regarding what is and is not socially acceptable so he comes right out and says, "Yeah, it's pretty much the fact that we have better coaches now." But you can bet your ass that almost all---if not all---of the players are thinking it. Since he doesn't have a filter, consider Taylor your canary in a coal mine for how the team really feels.

The poor guy looks SO uncomfortable out there among the media. That is so not his comfort zone. He's tremendously awkward, and it comes off as arrogance, but it really isn't.

Still, he's not going to get better at this by staying away from the microphones. So he goes up there and plugs away. And I cringe.

Thankfully he's a hell of a lot better behind center than in front of the mic. And that's all that counts.

Honestly he doesn't come across as that bright

Ever clammed up talking to a pretty girl? He's got 20 mics in his mug. Do you really think this is the best situation to judge his intelligence?

Also, Dirk Chatelain is very dreamy :)

By the way - Taylor flat out throwing last year's coordinator under the bus, using "last year I wasn't given enough freedom to change plays" as an excuse, falls completely outside the scope of being awkward. The reporters even gave him a chance to say the freedom was a product of being a year older and a year wiser.

I am still none too comfortable with this rhetoric.

Zoogs, Martinez also said during the presser that he loved having Watson as a coach, that he was shocked to see him leave in February, and that he wishes they were still running last year's offense, even though he's excited about the new offense. My link

Maybe you just missed that, but don't try to justify your own personal views by twisting the kid's words. The kid wasn't given the freedom to change plays last year, and the only reason to care why is so you can justify your own personal beliefs about Martinez or about Watson. In all probability, both Martinez and Watson were factors. Martinez being too young and inexperienced to read defenses surely had something to do with the fact that Watson didn't give him the freedom to change plays, but we've heard time and time again since Watson left that he only taught plays, and not concepts, and that made it so that none of the players on the field were really capable of adjusting when a defense changed things up.

Don't get this as aimed at Martinez. The rhetoric I am talking about is sweeping and seems to be coming from the top down. It's been all that's been talked about since Watson left. And while I am optimistic about the new system, it gives me pause when so much focus is spent emphasizing how bad the old one was.

Less talking, more doing. Or else when you hit a few roadblocks - as any new system undoubtedly will - does the faith in it evaporate? Maybe this is much ado about nothing. But this is more about Beck sounding eerily similar at times to Barney Cotton's "out with the old blocking schemes, in with my new ones that emphasize different and more important things." I hope this time it is with much better results, as it sounds that way, but nonetheless...I'm tired of hearing players and coaches talk about how hamstrung they were by last year's offense.

And by all indications, if Taylor said that, he was just saying that.

Don't get this as aimed at Martinez. The rhetoric I am talking about is sweeping and seems to be coming from the top down. It's been all that's been talked about since Watson left. And while I am optimistic about the new system, it gives me pause when so much focus is spent emphasizing how bad the old one was.

Your point of view on this is skewed by your view atop the "Shawn Watson never did anything wrong" bus.

Just talked to a guy who had an ear in the headset at the bowl game the other day. After four years (five? I forget) of calling plays at Nebraska, Watson was incapable of getting plays called during the Holiday Bowl this year. His description: "It was flat-out embarrassing." This same guy had high praise for Watson as a person, as a father, as a husband, as a man. But when his offense wasn't working perfectly, Watson failed BADLY.

It is time to stop defending him, zoogs. You can be both a great guy and a terrible play-caller. Watson was these things.

• Fire 1

Everyone is so worried about appearance and demeanor. So what if a guy doesn't talk perfect. Who cares if he says phrases in pieces. Don't judge someone on external appearance. Go watch the video of when Susan boyle came out on stage for first time. Noone expected her voice to be like that. Point is forget about language and pr skills. It's football not an interview for Harvard. Only thing that matters is rooting for who ever is the starter. I think martinez will be fine and still think he is our best option by a long way at qb.

Your point of view on this is skewed by your view atop the "Shawn Watson never did anything wrong" bus.

Just talked to a guy who had an ear in the headset at the bowl game the other day. After four years (five? I forget) of calling plays at Nebraska, Watson was incapable of getting plays called during the Holiday Bowl this year. His description: "It was flat-out embarrassing." This same guy had high praise for Watson as a person, as a father, as a husband, as a man. But when his offense wasn't working perfectly, Watson failed BADLY.

It is time to stop defending him, zoogs. You can be both a great guy and a terrible play-caller. Watson was these things.

Amen. It's becoming increasingly clear that Watson was choking the entire team off in a major, major way. I am positive that Bo has instructed the entire team--coaches and players both--that Watson bashing will not be tolerated. So instead of Beck saying that Watson was the devil, you hear him say things like, "It's not so much that what we are doing is 'better,' it's just that I prefer to do things a bit differently," which is coach-speak for, "I couldn't stand the way Watson did things and am throwing all that sh#t out the window."

The fact that you are hearing a little bit of anti-Watson rhetoric creep into players' and coaches' comments should give us a clue as to how despised he really was. Moderate/Mild dissatisfaction begets totally neutral comments (e.g., "Watson was a great coach, but we have some good coaches now too," which translates to, "At times, I thought Watson could do better"). But more severe dissatisfaction is harder to keep under wraps and manifests as mildly derogatory comments (e.g., "It's pretty much because of the new system that I feel more comfortable" or "Before we were timid and confused, now its clear and we can be aggressive," either of which translate to, "Watson was pretty much a cancer and kept us from even coming close to our potential as an offense.")

Point of this rambling post is that I think the players and coaches are doing their best to avoid the rhetoric, but Watson was so bad and they are so relieved to be out from under his nonsense that they can't help a little indirect anti-Watson commentary to creep in every now and again. It was that bad, Zoogs.

I don't think we can so easily write off his inability to effectively communicate with the media as a non-issue. If his lack of a filter is so prevalent in situations like this - where he's been coached what to say, and what not to say - think how bad his communication is in other situations. We're talking about a guy who's position dictates that he communicate effectively with the team and coaches at all times. That's in practice, on the sidelines, during the game, film room, etc. Many times how you say something is almost as important as the message's content. Being political might not be the favored approach, but it can make a huge difference when working in a team environment - whether that is corporate or college football makes little difference. The psychology behind the situations is still similar.

You want a drinking game, listen for Bo's keywords:

Sloppy

Things need fixed

Did some good things

Business as usual

GOOD JOB - says that a million times.

Progressing

Lot of talent

Step up

Improve upon

Heck of a job

Lot of confidence

Feel real good

That's pretty much every Bo Pelini after-practice press statement.

Don't forget what Bo always has to say about the other team 99% of the time..."Well coached".

I would hope that the staff that does Media Relations for football would offer up some tips for doing media interviews. I would even invite Bo to sit down and do some scenarios on how to answer media questions after losing a game. Martinez could definitely use some help on using some cliches rather than just shooting from the hip.

Martinez is a kid who is under the microscope from everyone, and it is uncomfortable. I have been around plenty of very intelligent people who fall apart when you put a microphone in front of them. Martinez had experienced the highs and the lows from last season in the media. I am sure he doesn't want to admit that it hurt him to read/hear the things that he heard.

I give him credit for making an effort, it would be great if they would coach him up in this area!

Just because he is not comfortable talking to the media, is no reason to think this kid is not smart. You have to have something to be a q/b and remember all the plays, he is asked to run or change at the line. As far as him talking about what some see as a dis at Watson, I see someone that hasn't had the experience yet to see when he is getting a loaded question from a reporter. I have no problem with his answers, its better than having to read some of the conclusions that some come up with, that think he must be a little slow. You at least know what he means. Its not coach speak over and over. I think how comfortable I was with my friends and family, and how I dreaded getting up in front of the class and giving a report on a chosen subject, even though a lot of my friends were in the class. I know I didn't like it much. You do what you have to do, and try to get more comfortable as you grow.

Hes the q/b not the head coach. He will be fine in time.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

Absolutely positively unquestionably the most awkward interviewee in the history of major college or pro athletics.

I mean, it was basically decided before this interview, but this puts the nail in the coffin.

99% of interviews in major sports are total PR nonsense. But at least most people are good enough bullshitters that they make it seem reasonable. With Martinez, the delivery is so slow and painful it makes it seem like he was reading it off a faulty teleprompter.

Does anybody buy that he's "pretty close" with all the quarterbacks? All of the Huskerwood insiders around here seem to point in the exact opposite direction.

Most brutal line: "I wanna come back a lot stronger... for... the team and for... the whole... Nebraska... fan... base... and... just hopefully we can win a national championship."

better yet......were you a leader last season? "uh, yeah i was a leader".....

• Fire 1

I don't think we can so easily write off his inability to effectively communicate with the media as a non-issue. If his lack of a filter is so prevalent in situations like this - where he's been coached what to say, and what not to say - think how bad his communication is in other situations. We're talking about a guy who's position dictates that he communicate effectively with the team and coaches at all times. That's in practice, on the sidelines, during the game, film room, etc. Many times how you say something is almost as important as the message's content. Being political might not be the favored approach, but it can make a huge difference when working in a team environment - whether that is corporate or college football makes little difference. The psychology behind the situations is still similar.

well said and absolutely correct...the kid doesn't instill any confidence in his demeanor, a real negative for a qb......oh well.

well said and absolutely correct...the kid doesn't instill any confidence in his demeanor, a real negative for a qb......oh well.

On the field and in the huddle are very, very different contexts than in front of a bunch of cameras and reporters. Not saying he is or isn't the leader he's claiming to be, just that you can't draw that kind of conclusion from this kind of video.

• Fire 1

I guess I didn't exactly get the same kind of vibe from the interview that it appears most did. I didn't get that he was akward or that he came off as unintelligent. It almost appeared as though he was somewhat mad or agitated. He also had a tendency to cut the reporters off asking questions in the middle of their question. Normally, one does this when they're excited and have a tendency to answer very quickly with short answers. He did neither of these which leads me to believe he was annoyed or agitated. I'm not going to rush to any kind of judgement based upon this interview as to how well he'll perform this season.