Brion Carnes and Jamal Turner

I think you guys are missing the point.

While it would be wrong to place too much stock on a big performance in the Spring Game, I don't think you can overemphasize a poor showing in the game.

It's not just that Carnes looked fantastic, it's that Carnes looked fantastic while Martinez and Green (especially Green) looked like ass. There is just no excuse for Green not to come out and hit his receivers perfectly, making crisp throws, good reads, etc. I wish we could put his attitude and work ethic in Taylor's body, because I'm afraid that Green's heart and attitude is wasted in his. (And it hurts me to say this.)

Martinez's relatively poor showing can probably be justified by his ankle injury, but the fact that he is still limited in April by an ankle he injured in October is not a good sign. There is a chance he is like an expensive sports car: Lots of fun when it runs, but in the shop far too often.

Green has a 0% chance of being the #2 QB on the roster, and I think there is a good chance that Taylor will get injured and lose his starting job to Carnes forever, thereby becoming the Tate Forcier to Carnes' Dennard Robinson.

martinez said in post game he was pretty close to 100%. Im not buying the ankle injury anymore, thats just a lame excuse, the fans are making anymore. I dont think Taylor is using it has an excuse either. I wouldnt either put too much stock in how a guy like Carnes performed. But I do put stock in badly guys like Martinez and Green were, you would think this was would be a cakewalk for them.

My point exactly.

One other thing: I think there is a lot to be said about chemistry between players. This is something that you cannot force. Call me crazy, but I can see some chemistry developing between Turner and Carnes. They are both unselfish, electric players, that I think enjoy getting out there and getting loose. It's almost scary to think what those two and Kenny Bell could do if they became close friends on and off the field.

So which player is everybody gonna drool over the next spring game.

Seriously its the freakin spring game, everything was extremely basic as Bo stated a million times in the interview with Grindle before the end of the game. The few minutes I listened, Matt Davison sounded extremely bored and was looking forward to the baseball game.

Weird. This was the best spring game I can remember. Live QBs, normal clock rules the whole second half, both teams competitive and seemingly cared about the outcome. Turner was electric and fortunately speed, acceleration and agility don't change from scrimmage to "real" game.

Not to mention the weather was perfect.

• Fire 1

Seriously its the freakin spring game, everything was extremely basic as Bo stated a million times in the interview with Grindle before the end of the game. The few minutes I listened, Matt Davison sounded extremely bored and was looking forward to the baseball game.

Weird. This was the best spring game I can remember. Live QBs, normal clock rules the whole second half, both teams competitive and seemingly cared about the outcome. Turner was electric and fortunately speed, acceleration and agility don't change from scrimmage to "real" game.

Im gonna try and quote Matt Davison here the few minutes I listened.... "well uhhhh "yawn" 1min 42seconds left here reds have the ball. Lets see if Lane Grindle can interview Bo. Well maybe Lane left already to go to baseball game, maybe I should go to. Im really excited about the baseball game today against Kansas State. Lane and I will have the call on Husker Sports Network beginning just after 4pm.

Just the way he said he sounded caught me off guard. Like he didnt really care and just wanted this thing to get over with. Sometimes thats my reaction to the spring game when I go.

Im gonna try and quote Matt Davison here the few minutes I listened.... "well uhhhh "yawn" 1min 42seconds left here reds have the ball. Lets see if Lane Grindle can interview Bo. Well maybe Lane left already to go to baseball game, maybe I should go to. Im really excited about the baseball game today against Kansas State. Lane and I will have the call on Husker Sports Network beginning just after 4pm.

Just the way he said he sounded caught me off guard. Like he didnt really care and just wanted this thing to get over with. Sometimes thats my reaction to the spring game when I go.

I didn't get that feeling at all. Davison and Greg were yuckin it up having a good time with the game, I thought they sounded like they were enjoying it, especially the last 5 minutes or so they were really having fun with the whole competition thing. They were makin fun of Lane because he was trying to get Bo to do the interview but wasn't being successful.

That's how I took the broadcast, anyway.

• Fire 1

I didn't get that feeling at all. Davison and Greg were yuckin it up having a good time with the game, I thought they sounded like they were enjoying it, especially the last 5 minutes or so they were really having fun with the whole competition thing. They were makin fun of Lane because he was trying to get Bo to do the interview but wasn't being successful.

That's how I took the broadcast, anyway.

Like I said I just caught a few minutes of the game. Its probably just me.

While it would be wrong to place too much stock on a big performance in the Spring Game, I don't think you can overemphasize a poor showing in the game.

It's not just that Carnes looked fantastic, it's that Carnes looked fantastic while Martinez and Green (especially Green) looked like ass. There is just no excuse for Green not to come out and hit his receivers perfectly, making crisp throws, good reads, etc. I wish we could put his attitude and work ethic in Taylor's body, because I'm afraid that Green's heart and attitude is wasted in his. (And it hurts me to say this.)

Martinez's relatively poor showing can probably be justified by his ankle injury, but the fact that he is still limited in April by an ankle he injured in October is not a good sign. There is a chance he is like an expensive sports car: Lots of fun when it runs, but in the shop far too often.

Green has a 0% chance of being the #2 QB on the roster, and I think there is a good chance that Taylor will get injured and lose his starting job to Carnes forever, thereby becoming the Tate Forcier to Carnes' Dennard Robinson.

martinez said in post game he was pretty close to 100%. Im not buying the ankle injury anymore, thats just a lame excuse, the fans are making anymore. I dont think Taylor is using it has an excuse either. I wouldnt either put too much stock in how a guy like Carnes performed. But I do put stock in badly guys like Martinez and Green were, you would think this was would be a cakewalk for them.

My point exactly.

One other thing: I think there is a lot to be said about chemistry between players. This is something that you cannot force. Call me crazy, but I can see some chemistry developing between Turner and Carnes. They are both unselfish, electric players, that I think enjoy getting out there and getting loose. It's almost scary to think what those two and Kenny Bell could do if they became close friends on and off the field.

Chemistry is severely needed and shouldn't be overlooked. Should be long summer of QB talk on Huskerboard.

My point exactly.

Chemistry is severely needed and shouldn't be overlooked. Should be long summer of QB talk on Huskerboard.

speaking of chemistry, we could use some on the offensive line too....i too like the Carnes-Turner connection, they will only get better...Carnes is driven to learn this offense.

To me Carnes was a lot more poised and made better decisions then Green and Martinez. I know it's just the spring game but I'd venture to say theres a great chance he passes Martinez eventually. Also Turner looks great and he should be a weapon for us this year.

one thing that i noticed was that carnes went through all of his options on some of his dropbacks. Taylor looked at the same reciever and then threw a bad ball

Joe Dailey had a great spring game.

Playing in which offense?

Nebraska...

But are you referring to Solich's power I or Cali's West Coast? I still believe Dailey would been a different qb if he would've played in our old option offense

Oh, I agree with you. The kid had horrible luck getting recruited for a smashmouth offense and then we switched to fluffball. It's really sad but sometimes that's the breaks.

Anyway, I honestly wish Joe Dailey nothing but the best. I unfairly used him as a reference for how little SGs actually tell. I shouldn't have done that. My bad.....

Its all good, Sam Keller would have been a good example though

Sam Keller was a really good quarterback, are you implying that he did terrible in the spring game making us all think he sucked?

Keller was a very overrated player here. He hung on to the ball way too long and never left the pocket. Keller was a turnover waiting to happen.

I remember hearing a certain AM radio personality say that "from everything he hears," Carnes didn't have a good mental handle on the game... Hopefully when I tune in this next week I hear him eat some crow.

8-11, 2 TDs, 140 yards with time still to go in the 2nd half.

His statement was correct. Even listen to Bo after the game. He stated the game today was basic and BC was still swimming with what he was asked to do. Yes BC looked good today. Part of it was that he had a very good day and part of it was he made some good plays against guys who you won't see starting this fall. He definitely had the advantage of playing a weaker defense. That being said...he improved more than any other QB over the spring and is probably the best over all QB although he's not going to be the strongest QB when you look at individual skill sets. If he has a good summer he can push for a chance for a lot of playing time. It doesn't sit well that TM wants to go home for a part of the summer to train. Everyday he's away its a chance for another QB to build leadership with the team that he could have had. Also...as I've said before...we screwed up by moving Turner. He would have been the QB that took us to at least 2 NC games over 4 years of playing. I think he would have been the every 3rd series QB and probably take over the next year just by his ability to lead. Now...I hope we can utilize 2/3 of his talent at WR.

I agree. I've been to numerous spring games but this scrimmage had something that felt different but it was a good different. I don't know if it had to do with the bet that both teams had, the QB battle, both teams were very competitive against one another, or the normal game rules like no running clock but this was the first spring game I really enjoyed.

All of the previous spring games that I went too they tended to get really boring plus after halftime it was usually a running clock which I didn't like.

I agree that Turner is much better at WR for the fact i dont think he would start for 2-3 years at QB. This allows his great athletic ability to be on the field and if he wants to switch to QB he can.

If Turner was at QB he would probably be 3rd right now. This way he gets playing time and we use his skills.

Carnes didnt amaze me as much as others but he was the best QB on the field. Martinez didnt seem to worry to much or take this too serious. My gues sis his ankle is still an issue.

I like cody, but it is time for him to change positions or something.

Cant wait for September 3rd.