...just no more pot, Mulk

'Mulk' Is Primetime Player

Receiver Gives New Meaning To Term Walk-On

POSTED: 10:39 am CDT October 6, 2005

UPDATED: 10:44 am CDT October 6, 2005

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Grant Mulkey has added new meaning to the term "walk-on." The Husker receiver often gets walked on, run over and lit up.

Mulkey said that's just part of the job as the Big Red's slot receiver.

"I tend to be running within the hashes and within the box," Mulkey said. "You have guys sitting in zones, and when they see you in their zone, they come to kill you. That's just part of the position I play. Whatever is going to help the team."

"He's a brave player," said Husker coach Bill Callahan. "When he gets the ball, he sacrifices a lot of his 172-pound body."

Mulkey had his best game as a Husker last week. The junior from Arlington, Texas, caught five balls for 60 yards.

"He displays the type of tenacity you want in your receiving corps," Callahan said. "I love watching Mulk play."

"Pretty much each game I get hit at least once pretty good," Mulkey said. "I'm not the biggest receiver we have, but you're going to get hit whether you catch the ball or not, so you might as well catch the ball."

Mulkey is Nebraska's fourth-leading receiver this season with eight catches. He played high school ball for coach Mickey Finley, the father of former Husker Clint Finley.