Why Can't We Do This

I know we are looking for a spread happy offense (which I don't mind), but why can't we implement some I-Form and Pro Sets? I think going under center would be a strength for Burkhead and Legate. I just hope Beck doesn't sit in shotgun 95% of the game because we have seen how that usually fairs when we get inside the red zone. Has anyone heard anything credible where they think we will do this?

I know we are looking for a spread happy offense (which I don't mind), but why can't we implement some I-Form and Pro Sets? I think going under center would be a strength for Burkhead and Legate. I just hope Back doesn't sit in shotgun 95% of the game because we have seen how that usually fairs when we get inside the red zone. Has anyone heard anything credible where they think we will do this?

The majority of snaps takin on Saturday were with a QB under center. IMO, the reason we dont run more "power" formations is because we don't have an Oline, at this time, that can consistently move people 3-4 yards off the ball.

We did take a lot of snaps under center in the Spring Game, but we have to remember that what we showed there was not our new offense. I think a lot of what we saw was for entertainment value, for nostalgia's sake, like the FB scoring twice - don't hold your breath for stuff like that. Most likely we'll be in a version of the Spread/Pistol most of the time.

To answer the question of "why can't we do this?" it boils down to our offensive philosophy. Bo simply wants things run this way, and that's how we're going to run it. No reason we can't, other than Bo's personal preference.

This article is worth re-reading. It was published the week of NU's first spring practice.

Some highlights from the article:

“His roots are definitely in option and power football, but he is an offensive guy, so he’s going to throw the football,” Ressa said. “It’s going to be a combination of things.”

If I'm not mistaken, Martinez said that the QB will now audible at the LOS in Beck's system. If that's the case, then this will be different than what KU was doing when Beck was Passing Game Coordinator. See quote below.

“We weren’t big on wristbands,” Warinner said. “We kept the verbiage down.”

There were no audibles by Reesing. It was Warinner’s job to get KU in the right play. The passing game under Beck was very simple, Warinner said, including the way it was communicated.

It translated into high-speed football.

“We only had a few concepts,” Warriner said. “Only ran certain concepts against certain defenses.”

knapplc put it best when describing philosophy.

Furthermore, this team isn't really built to line up in power formations on a consistent basis and just blow people off the ball. Our o-line is big and strong but they're not one of Milt's lines.

Furthermore, this team isn't really built to line up in power formations on a consistent basis and just blow people off the ball. Our o-line is big and strong but they're not one of Milt's lines.

exactly, although we are recruiting better O linemen, it appears the emphasis is on razzle dazzle, no huddle, roll outs and zone read.....it will be interesting to see how well this works in a traditional smash-mouth conference, it will fly or die.

exactly, although we are recruiting better O linemen, it appears the emphasis is on razzle dazzle, no huddle, roll outs and zone read.....it will be interesting to see how well this works in a traditional smash-mouth conference, it will fly or die.

why do something that they're already used to? I honestly think Pelini knows what hurts his D, and what works well against other D's, so he is having Beck take the Offense a certain direction. Hopefully it flies ;)

The red zone is tricky business. Pounding the ball only works if your offensive line is really superior. Scoring in the red zone is much more about the cleverness of the play-caller than the formation.

There's some truth to that.

But I also say a lot of it is positioning and willpower. There's no reason Gabbert shouldn't have scored on that qb sneak against us, but we had players in the right position and we fought tough for it. Sometimes even the best plays don't work and it comes down to which team wants it more.

Seriously I get the fact that the fullback has a huge part in husker history and it's usually a home-state husker playing the position but for the love of God please give up on the freaking power I. We haven't run an above average amount of I formation since the beginning of the 08' season, we have been recruiting qb's that are dual threat and we have been practicing the spread/zone read for over 3 years now. Do you guys want to put Taylor-a guy that has shown he has below average pocket presence and below average to average accuracy-to a pocket passer that's mainly under center? Do you want to move Taylor to a new position and put in Carnes and have another frosh at the starting qb spot? Do you want to start over and start recruiting pocket passers at qb?

Bottom line we have dual threat, mainly run first qb's (possibly aside from Carnes and Kellog-a walk on)who's main weapon is their feet.

T Mart-Def. run first

Green-Def. not the greatest passer possibly will get moved to TE

Carnes-Probably our best passer but still not polished enough to take the starting reins

Kellog-Probably better passer but still not as polished as he would need to be to take over as starting qb

why do something that they're already used to? I honestly think Pelini knows what hurts his D, and what works well against other D's, so he is having Beck take the Offense a certain direction. Hopefully it flies ;)

Has Bo/Carl's Defenses had much trouble defending this crap?

To an Offensive Lineman, running "smashmouth" power-I is so000oo0oo much easier than Pass Blocking..(Just ask Rimmington)..I sorta hated it at the time, but there was a lot of comfort in having a consistant Offense..where they supposedly would tell the DL what was comming..just to make it interesting.

Although we'll never have the great advantage we used to have in Pioneering the weight training and nutrition program..(or experimental roids?)...There's a lot to be gained by neutralizing the prairie winds in November by running the power-I first..Lulling the DB's to sleep..then kill them with an option pass as soon as the wind let up.

Seriously I get the fact that the fullback has a huge part in husker history and it's usually a home-state husker playing the position but for the love of God please give up on the freaking power I. We haven't run an above average amount of I formation since the beginning of the 08' season, we have been recruiting qb's that are dual threat and we have been practicing the spread/zone read for over 3 years now. Do you guys want to put Taylor-a guy that has shown he has below average pocket presence and below average to average accuracy-to a pocket passer that's mainly under center? Do you want to move Taylor to a new position and put in Carnes and have another frosh at the starting qb spot? Do you want to start over and start recruiting pocket passers at qb?

Bottom line we have dual threat, mainly run first qb's (possibly aside from Carnes and Kellog-a walk on)who's main weapon is their feet.

T Mart-Def. run first

Carnes-Probably our best passer but still not polished enough to take the starting reins

Kellog-Probably better passer but still not as polished as he would need to be to take over as starting qb

For the love of God have you ever watched NU cfb when TO coached? Or even when Frank w/Couch was at qb? I get your love of fluffball but with seven years of total failure it's high time for a big change.

The dual threat qbs of you guy's dream bubble fantasy world simply don't exist. Was Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc good pockets passers? Gawd no...how many snaps at qb in the NFL did any of them have? But they had good passing results @ NU due to opponent DCs selling out to stop the run. It doesn't take a great pocket passer at all to hit wide-open (frequently not even covered wrs).

So, those qbs were in the real world "duel threats". They also played under center. They had a fullback. They also won conference championships and national titles. Kids like Tmart "could" thrive in that scenario.

Now maybe Beck doesn't want anything to do with that. I don't know. But saying a qb under center has to be a great pocket passer is totally wrong.

T Mart-Def. run first

I'm sorry, but this post makes you sound about 15 years old, or at least too young to remember Osborne's offense. If you thought the 2008 season brought an above-average amount of i-formation, or that QBs who play from under center have to be pocket passers, you have clearly lost touch with the history of Nebraska football.