Why Can't We Do This

For the record, the old offense ran down and finally stopped working when we ran out of TO's players and coaches. Contrary to a popular belief among the young fans, it wasn't that opposing teams suddenly had a frigging epiphany on how to stop us--we basically stopped ourselves. Forwarding to the present, the current set of coaches can run whatever they want, but they also had better be able to deliver 10 or more wins a year, with the very occasional 9 on a down year. Those are the minimum expectations at DONU, titles not withstanding.

Ok what I meant in my original statement was that every year since Bo got hired it's been "I think the fullback is going to have a much larger role" or "we should run more power I formation sets". Like Husker B-Rent has said, it's not coming back so what is the point of saying I wish we would do this or I wish we would do that? What I also meant by "pocket passer" wasn't your typical Sanchez or Barkley. What I meant is that our qb's would have to be more efficient with MUCH better pocket awareness. Right now our qb's do nothing but shift right into a blitz or rush-possibly aside from Carnes but he's still pretty much an unknown. The talk just turns into being annoying bc we aren't in our glory days, we aren't running the old option offense or power I sets and haven't for 10 years. To me it's on the same level of talk that makes me hate teams like Mizzou or Notre Dame because they think their program is on the same level as everyone else because of what they once did.

We run the spread. We will as long as Bo is here I'm sure. It's going to be a hell of a year!

• Fire 1

For the record, the old offense ran down and finally stopped working when we ran out of TO's players and coaches. Contrary to a popular belief among the young fans, it wasn't that opposing teams suddenly had a frigging epiphany on how to stop us--we basically stopped ourselves. Forwarding to the present, the current set of coaches can run whatever they want, but they also had better be able to deliver 10 or more wins a year, with the very occasional 9 on a down year. Those are the minimum expectations at DONU, titles not withstanding.

Colorado loaded the box with 8 defenders..leaving themselves vulnerable to midrange passes..We didn't have the accurate QB nor the Pass Protection to take advantage.

More teams were also recruiting safeties and Corners and turning them into really fast LBs.

These things tend to go in cycles but more times than not, if you have dominant Offensive Line play just about anything works

lol at the comments regarding the old vs young minds.

Truths:

1. The option works, did then, does now (see G Tech and OU's Diamond offense)

2. The option offense is outdated, has been for 15 years but... it works when not the primary scheme

3. We (both us older and you younger) forget, when TO was running the option he was able to recruit the best because he was the best coach running the option. While the majority of other programs were running a version of the pro-set and competing with each other for recruits, TO stuck with tradition and power and recruited against only a few other programs (Mainly Notre Dame) for the power eye players.

and lastly...

4. I can't help but roll my eyes when reading comments like "I have friends and they say". Really? Come on, if they're talking to you they'd be talking to the media and they aren't. Take the advice of an old timer, avoid saying "I have friends" it simply doesn't hold weight and is laughable.

Oh come on!

You've never had friends on the team?

Ex HS team mates and/or cousins that walked on and became 3 year starters?

(I have both..Not that that makes me special..Just that I can see it happen more than just occasionally).

No matter how late you tend to show up at the same keggers, or how drunk and tasty the co-eds get, the talk always degenerated to how the team was doing...If you somehow missed the football talk durring the 1st 5 hours of the party.

You think anyone that talks to the media these days gets on Bo's good side ever again? or see's the field?

Also..Ga Tech DID have some success like winning the ACC a couple of times..But they were pretty much shut down in the two Bowl games I remember.. by the other team loading the box. It CAN work, but more teams have the personnell (see speed to burn) that are capable of stopping it.

people are implying thats what we SHOULD run when in reality that just is not gonna happen under Bo. knowing a few players i know what the new offense is like but its not 90s NU style that much is for sure.

There are people who are preaching that we need to go back to the Triple-Option, but the diehards who truly believe that are few and far between, and (to my uncertain belief) not any of the regular football-talking folks around here. I would love to see a game with truly great triple-option play again, but like everyone else, I know we do not have the players (specifically the line) for that. So it's a wistful memory, just like the memories I have of our LBs crowding the line, 30 inches from the QB's face, getting ready to raise hell. We don't play that way anymore.... but I'd still like to see it.

I'd "like" to see it because I took a little vicarius pride in being different than most other programs.

But mainly, I'd like to see us get back to "Leading" the changes in CFB and not so much following..I really hated when we (someone?) decided that the WCO would be our next direction after we got rid of Solich..It worked, but was on the "down cycle" in successful trends and I'd rather we would concentrate on developing what was going to work for the next decade or so...The spread thing seems like even a faster "wiff and miss".

Defenses finally caught up with us around 2000, and it was inevitable that they'd learn to stop the WCO even when it didn't stop itself..(Never did seem to work for us against a defense with a pulse or durring crunch time).

It will be interesting to see what we come up with next..and I really really hope the naming of whatever "it" is never catches up with what we're doing..but I'm afraid a lot of us will just have to get most of our enjoyment by watching our Defense, and maybe for pure entertainment value...Watch old youtube clips of the "

" with our pretty white shoes...Or that crappy '95 thing that nobody likes bringing up anymore.

Amen!

Everybody & their brother lately goes to some kind of Fun & Gun/Fluffball offense so of course we had to hire an NFL reject and do the same. With miserable (at best) results for seven full years. "Follow the herd" is the current NU fan battle cry.

I just love very young fans who think they know good football because they've seen Callahan & Callawatts offenses. Poor kids, they wouldn't know good football if it slapped them aside their head.

people are implying thats what we SHOULD run when in reality that just is not gonna happen under Bo. knowing a few players i know what the new offense is like but its not 90s NU style that much is for sure.

There are people who are preaching that we need to go back to the Triple-Option, but the diehards who truly believe that are few and far between, and (to my uncertain belief) not any of the regular football-talking folks around here. I would love to see a game with truly great triple-option play again, but like everyone else, I know we do not have the players (specifically the line) for that. So it's a wistful memory, just like the memories I have of our LBs crowding the line, 30 inches from the QB's face, getting ready to raise hell. We don't play that way anymore.... but I'd still like to see it.

I'd "like" to see it because I took a little vicarius pride in being different than most other programs.

But mainly, I'd like to see us get back to "Leading" the changes in CFB and not so much following..I really hated when we (someone?) decided that the WCO would be our next direction after we got rid of Solich..It worked, but was on the "down cycle" in successful trends and I'd rather we would concentrate on developing what was going to work for the next decade or so...The spread thing seems like even a faster "wiff and miss".

Defenses finally caught up with us around 2000, and it was inevitable that they'd learn to stop the WCO even when it didn't stop itself..(Never did seem to work for us against a defense with a pulse or durring crunch time).

It will be interesting to see what we come up with next..and I really really hope the naming of whatever "it" is never catches up with what we're doing..but I'm afraid a lot of us will just have to get most of our enjoyment by watching our Defense, and maybe for pure entertainment value...Watch old youtube clips of the "

" with our pretty white shoes...Or that crappy '95 thing that nobody likes bringing up anymore.

Amen!

Everybody & their brother lately goes to some kind of Fun & Gun/Fluffball offense so of course we had to hire an NFL reject and do the same. With miserable (at best) results for seven full years. "Follow the herd" is the current NU fan battle cry.

I just love very young fans who think they know good football because they've seen Callahan & Callawatts offenses. Poor kids, they wouldn't know good football if it slapped them aside their head.

i havent seen a single person in here say that the triple option is not a good offense when properly run. the whole point of the thread is that we arent going back to that as long as bo is here, nothing about good vs. bad offense. for the record i watched the 90s offense and loved them but i also understand that there are multiple offenses out there that will work just as good.