Is there any reason to be nervous?

Generally speaking, "breaking the law/violating rules of conduct" means you can and usually will lose your job immediately, and without remedy.

True, but Tressel would fight it because it could potentially mean millions to him, and of course that would go to court and get public and ugly, so the most likely scenario is a negotiated buyout. Nobody wants their dirty laundry aired like that.

Urban Meyer and Jon Gruden have been rumored to be two of the top candidates for the job if it opens. Meyer is probably the most logical choice, and even though he just retired, Ohio State is probably the one job that would make him come out of retirement. OSU is a top 3 job in the country, and they will give him a ton of money. Gruden is a possibility also. He's said that he wants to get back into coaching, and even though he was a high-level NFL coach, OSU is a pretty premier coaching gig, and he was recently at OSU to speak at a coaches clinic, and has watched OSU practice multiple times.

If OSU doesn't get either of those 2, Bo is probably the next choice. Remember that OSU hired Tressel when he was at Youngstown State, so its not like they are only going to look for guys who have won big already.

Gruden won't take it. He wants something with less pressure, and to coach his son before hanging it up for good.

I would look more to Stoops maybe Meyer. Bo is not going to leave what he has there to walk into the storm they have in OH. I also dont know if the vest will get canned, but it will be close. I would suspect this is far from over, after the ncaa gets it all hammered out and decides what to do, I would not be surprised to see the B1G add a little more to it. Thats the thing, you all will find out soon what kind of conf the B1G is, they should drop the hammer on OSU, but they are the favorite child of the B1G, so who knows. I will say it aint over till the fat lady sings.

Urban Meyer and Jon Gruden have been rumored to be two of the top candidates for the job if it opens. Meyer is probably the most logical choice, and even though he just retired, Ohio State is probably the one job that would make him come out of retirement. OSU is a top 3 job in the country, and they will give him a ton of money. Gruden is a possibility also. He's said that he wants to get back into coaching, and even though he was a high-level NFL coach, OSU is a pretty premier coaching gig, and he was recently at OSU to speak at a coaches clinic, and has watched OSU practice multiple times.

If OSU doesn't get either of those 2, Bo is probably the next choice. Remember that OSU hired Tressel when he was at Youngstown State, so its not like they are only going to look for guys who have won big already.

Where he had won a couple of National Championships I believe. He was well qualified as a head coach. We have to remember this is Bo's first time.

Well, look at the timing. Say Jim gets canned, when would that happen? Maybe around June or July? Now that means interm coach for the year )probably) and nothing to even consider about until the end of this season.

It would be much easier for OSU to talk to Meyer that entire time then Bo.

Well, look at the timing. Say Jim gets canned, when would that happen? Maybe around June or July? Now that means interm coach for the year )probably) and nothing to even consider about until the end of this season.

It would be much easier for OSU to talk to Meyer that entire time then Bo.

Exactly. Ohio State goes before the Committee on Infractions on Aug. 12. There is ZERO chance they'll hire a permanent coach at that point. You're right that they'll go through 2011 with an interim coach.

Appreciate the responses. I don't think Meyer will come back anytime soon but if they do have to pull the trigger in Columbus I have to believe they will go after big names and especially those with with ties to the school. So I think they will make inquiries into Bo but also Stoops. They will want the best name they can get that is for sure and be willing to pay. It will be interesting to watch this play out.

Generally speaking, "breaking the law/violating rules of conduct" means you can and usually will lose your job immediately, and without remedy.

Maybe so, but this is CFB we're talking about. Not exactly a hotbed for "by the book" behavior and/or punishment..................

Point taken. Chizik still has a job, USC is still playing football, and the FBI hasn't raided the big 12/big texas conference offices yet.

"But the player didn't know that we were selling him" ignorance is bli$$ i suppose.

All of it makes this guy sick...."not the victory" & "in the deed the glory" makes a lot of sense when noted how men and institutions debase themselves for the W's, honesty and integrity be damned!

All of it makes this guy sick...."not the victory" & "in the deed the glory" makes a lot of sense when noted how men and institutions debase themselves for the W's, honesty and integrity be damned!

That's the thing. You'd like to think those aren't just nice words on a wall. You'd like to think that, taken as a whole, we're behaving better than other programs. Looking around at some articles since this NCAA announcement I saw that in the 80s 67 of the 106 programs in D1A had major violations - but not Nebraska. In the 2000s 70-something of the 114 or so schools reported major violations - but not Nebraska. That's the kind of record we're supposed to have, and I hope we keep that culture alive and well.

In contrast, an article from the Columbus Dispatch reported in 2009 that under Tressel the Buckeyes had 375 NCAA violations, major and minor, in around ten years. I know Nebraska has self-reported several minor violations, but we're nowhere near that number.

• Fire 1

I'm not convinced he's going to get canned. If they were going to fire him it would have made more sense to do it a long time ago before spring practice started.

Good point, unless they had reason to believe that the allegations were not going to be this bad.

It depends entirely on whether or not the NCAA levies a Show-Cause penalty. If that happens, and that'll be determined based on OSU's response to the allegations submitted around the end of July and in the August 12th hearing, they may have no choice but to can him. If the NCAA not only vacates wins but also ties keeping Tressel to further penalties (scholly reductions, post-season bans, etc), and they're forced to choose between losing Tressel and losing the next several seasons, they'll have to sever ties with Tressel.

I'm not convinced he's going to get canned. If they were going to fire him it would have made more sense to do it a long time ago before spring practice started.

I agree, but when the final comes in on this, it might be stiff enough that the school has no other option. I find it funny how OSU fans jumped all over the cam thing and said see thats why we have a crappy record against the sec,cuz they cheat. Yet when they are found in the wrong, most of them do not see the point everyone else is making on the subject. Me I dont really care. I know I am glad we dont play them this year, cuz they have been barely holding us off for awhile now and when they lose to us, I dont want to hear all the excuses that will follow. Thats my point about making the Husker game against them a big deal. If you win, it will be a victory marred by their fans forever saying but, but, but.......

If they are defending what took place now, this season will be a non stop defendfest. We would have won if, it had been a home game, our players and coach were there, blah blah.

Everyone wants to stand behind their coach and team, but come on, when this much has already been released and theres 4 more months of investigation to go, you should man up and say, whoops we messed up and will have to pay for it.

True, but Tressel would fight it because it could potentially mean millions to him, and of course that would go to court and get public and ugly, so the most likely scenario is a negotiated buyout. Nobody wants their dirty laundry aired like that.

If Tressel is canned he won't fight it. Violating rules of conduct and the law is most certainly in his coaching contract as grounds for termination without compensation. If he violated NCAA rules and the school acts to terminate him because of that then he has no grounds to sue.

If they fired him because of falling short in BCS games then he could sue for rightful compensation. In this scenario the former would be the case. He wouldn't drag it out since no judge would accept the case.

A more recent and somewhat similar example was Mike Leach at Texas Tech. However, Leach was fired amid allegations of player mistreatment and there were no formal sanctions from the NCAA. Thus, it is debatable whether he violated the codified code of conduct in his contract since that dealt with legal and NCAA sanctions. Tressel's contract and all of them for Div 1 coaches contain clauses which allow justifiable dismissal if sanctions are levied. It's not like Tressel is in the drivers seat at all.