Beck pleased with growth of offense this spring

With his first 15 practices as Nebraska's new offensive coordinator now in the books, Tim Beck is overall pleased with the strides the Huskers took over the course of spring ball.

For the first time since the Red-White Spring Game, Beck talked about his offense when he appeared as a guest on Big Red Wrap-Up on Tuesday night. Beck covered a wide range of topics, including the changes NU were able to make to the offense during the spring, the quarterback competition and some of the young and exciting players who emerged.

Continue Reading

Found it interesting in the article Beck talks about Turner's position change. It comes down to the fact that first the coaches feel comfortable that 1 of the 3 QBs (Martinez, Green, or Carnes) will be fine at QB, and second that Turner was putting too much pressure on himself to come out and be the MAN. No problem with him wanting to do that, but when it's affecting his on-field performance, then something needs to change. The move opened him up to just get on the field have fun and play.

I'll congratulate the coaches for that. Especially if Turner does the same thing he did in the Spring Game in the fall.

Beck said there were some timing and communication issues in the game from both teams, but those mistakes were to be expected because of the unusual circumstances presented by the draft format of the Spring Game.

Am I the only one who read that part and thought, well then, don't have the draft format! It's not as if these "circumstances" aren't completely under the coaching staff's control. If these issues present themselves year after year, why not have 1's vs 1's?

Beck said there were some timing and communication issues in the game from both teams, but those mistakes were to be expected because of the unusual circumstances presented by the draft format of the Spring Game.

Am I the only one who read that part and thought, well then, don't have the draft format! It's not as if these "circumstances" aren't completely under the coaching staff's control. If these issues present themselves year after year, why not have 1's vs 1's?

I'm with you zoogies. If practices are at such a premium why would you basically waste one? Why not pit #1 O with #2 D on one team and #1 D with #2 O and fill in with the 3rd and 4th stringers and let them go at it? It's not like people are going to say it wasn't fair? All we want as fans is what's best for the team.

I've never understood how you pretty much just throw away a practice.

I'm with you zoogies. If practices are at such a premium why would you basically waste one? Why not pit #1 O with #2 D on one team and #1 D with #2 O and fill in with the 3rd and 4th stringers and let them go at it? It's not like people are going to say it wasn't fair? All we want as fans is what's best for the team.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. Especially for cfb where practices are so limited and few one would think every single one is to precious to throw away.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. Especially for cfb where practices are so limited and few one would think every single one is to precious to throw away.

The argument I've heard, is that they want to see the players make plays, which is why they also go vanilla. They want to evaluate the football instincts of each player. Of course, I'm not sure why you couldn't do that with a 1's vs 1's scenario either...

I think the idea behind the draft was to have fun. Bo wanted his boys to relax and have a good time out their during the spring game. He also wanted it to be very competitive. Maybe mixing players was a way to find some chemistry that may not have been able to find in practice. I believe the winning team was treated to steaks and losing team to hotdogs or something like that.

Remember when Cassidy was the holder for both the Red and White team, he botched a FG attempt on purpose so the white team wouldnt win the game.

From a fans point of view, the 1s vs 2s, 3s vs 4s or however you wanna slice it is pretty boring to the fans I think.

I think Bo uses the Spring Game as a reward for a solid Spring. I don't think it's a wasted practice, since they're getting some eval done, but for the most part it's supposed to remind the guys how much fun football can be.

You can't be blood-and-guts all the time.

I always assumed that the draft was Bo's way of keeping all the players competitive at earning a starting position starting with spring practices and the spring game while continuing that mentality all the way to fall camp.

i agree with many here, the spring game is a chance for a lot of new kids to play before a big crowd and have some fun. But, Beck's comment to the receivers to just "get open", just bothers me a bit.

it gets me back to thinking he is suggesting, at times, to wing it....i wonder how that will work out?

and i am glad he is happy with the improvement, i think it was pretty well screened along with the new offense......sigh

i agree, they have a draft format so the players can cut loose and just have fun. with all the time and work you have to put into football in college and then you have classes on top of it all, it can really wear on you and the spring game is a great way to get away from it all for a day and just have a good time

It is great that we have a kid like Jamal, with how electric he is with the ball in his hands and the kind of athleticism he brings to the table, who is also willing to just do anything for the team. Really, we have had nothing but complete positive from him ever since his recruitment and (very early) commitment. He was almost ridiculously loyal to Nebraska from the beginning and I never quite understood how he got to that point, but am very pleased about it, of course.

A great guy to have on the team. I echo your sentiments, Dude.

Teacher, I think that's a pretty good reason (reason #2 anyway). I wonder if there are other scrimmages that are closer to 1s vs 1s, that are simply closed practices, earlier in spring practice.

I guess there's just a disconnect between all this talk of the Spring Game being just some basic, vanilla fun where we don't show anything and mish-mash all the teams, and the denial of any TV rights so that we can keep our ultra-secret latest developments under wraps.

On the one hand you have Beck talking like this was just some fun reward for everyone and not a legitimate practice, and on the other you have TO talking about it like it's a very important scrimmage and serious evaluation tool that we don't want to put on tape.

• Fire 1