The Bubba Starling Thread

2-3 mil doesn't go very far if you blow a knee or need tommy john. Not to mention living expenses in some baseball cities. If someone else is willing to pay for your education you let them. He should take a lesson from guys like Suh & Amukamara. Both could have been first rounders as juniors but elected to finish school. Get the education, and let whatever happens in sports happen. It's a pretty good life when a Bachelor's Degree is your backup plan.

2-3 mil doesn't go very far if you blow a knee or need tommy john. Not to mention living expenses in some baseball cities. If someone else is willing to pay for your education you let them. He should take a lesson from guys like Suh & Amukamara. Both could have been first rounders as juniors but elected to finish school. Get the education, and let whatever happens in sports happen. It's a pretty good life when a Bachelor's Degree is your backup plan.

Take the money. I know a lot of people with a bachelors and masters that are begging for jobs. 3 mil can buy more then you can imagine Jo matter what city you are in if you manage it right. Sverige doesn't need a 3k sq ft house with 5 cars.

Everyone in those cities don't make 6 figures let Alone 7 and live very well there.

2-3 million will get a bachelors degree at most all schools. If he breaks his leg in baseball then we can bring his money and get a college degree.

Speaking as a teacher, take the money now. You can always go back to college if things dont work out but you cant always make 5 million dollars for signing your name on a paper.

Take 1 million of the bonus put it into a 3 month CD, roll it over ever 3 months while you are playing (and still getting your pay, remember we are just talkin about the bonus) then in 3-5 years if baseball doesnt work you still have that CD around with lots of cash. Not to mention the rest of your signing bonus (after taxes and agent fees) assuming you didnt spend it all.

Then, go to college.

yes, this is what he should do.

Makes no sense to put more than 250k into a CD since FDIC will only insure that amount in case of bank failure, and the bank will not pay you jack sh#t for interest in the interim. CD's make no sense to invest in because they will pay you much less than stated inflation, and next to nothing compared to actual inflation when you take into account the Fed's money printing operation.

Well I would not be to worried about the FDIC, I don't think the bank will get robbed and if it goes under there are bigger issues! ha ha

But yeah the CD might be a bad idea but I really don't know much about investments so I was just giving an example. I figured a short term CD could get about 3%???

try 1 1/2%.....there are much better places to put that kind of money to work, which are unavailable to the average petty investor.

Yeah, I know that people with real money get better rates, I think that my point might have been missed, I was basically just saying there are easy ways to make that money last.

2-3 million will get a bachelors degree at most all schools. If he breaks his leg in baseball then we can bring his money and get a college degree.

Totally agree!

Look, while you are playing, even minor league ball, you get a stipend each day for food. So you dont have to worry about meals or places to stay since he could probably just shack up with a few guys on the team.

I guess I dont understand the odd pattern of thoughts, college is not going anywhere. Heck, he could take classes online WHILE playing baseball, I worked full time teaching/coaching and finished up my Masters online, taking 3 or 4 classes at a time. I am sure he could do the same thing with a Bachelors.

Suh and Prince only had one year to go, really just one semester I think.

Okay so let's say hypothetically he gets 3mil. And that's gonna have to be a bigger market team to give him that because smaller market teams can't pay that right now. I believe he is being looked at primarily as a pitcher/outfield prospect. But here's the catch, your not being drafted to the MLB. Your being drafted into their farm system. It's a 3-5 year wait before your playing in the Majors, if you even make it. Now, if (God Forbid) he does get injured, teams will likely sever ties with him and all expenses are on him after that point. Rehab? Training? Agents?(Especially Boras) that stuff costs millions of dollars.

Now the other option, go to college on scholarship. Still plays two sports. If he gets injured here you know Bo and the University will take care of all medical expense. Case in point - Blake Lawrence.

The smart decision is school. Always is. But I don't think we will ever see him in a Husker uniform. With Boras as his agent, the odds are overwhelmingly in MLB's favor. But I think his decision will be swayed by which team drafts him. Small market teams pay small market money.

P.S. I would be okay with him going to the Twins. They need the help lol.

I may be wrong, but didnt Khiry Cooper come and go through summer workouts after being drafted by the Angels? They have until August to decide for sure what they are going to do officially. But if he is going to be drafted so high, he may choose early, who knows.

I don't see why it would be a big deal...it's not like the training they do is going to hurt him in baseball, though i would doubt they would let him do any contact drills or anything like that

Wake up. No chance

You realize you're exactly the kind of person all these articles mention that Bubba gets really peeved about, speaking for him?

If you're smart, you can use 2-3 mil to go the rest of your life.

• Fire 1

[You realize you're exactly the kind of person all these articles mention that Bubba gets really peeved about, speaking for him?

If he does go the baseball route, he'd better not get drafted by any NY, Philly, or Boston team...

Or invest in a thick skin kit...

I believe that MLB (even farm contracts) cover injuries. I think that you also cant "Cut" a guy in baseball or any sport that I know of, while they are injured, they have to go on the IR list, so they are still getting paid and treated, even in the farm system. I think, but I am not totally sure.

The 3 million (after taxes and agent cut) will take care of a kid much longer then any school will. Now, NU "took care" of Blake Lawrence sure, but how much did they take care of him? Two more years of free school at UNL? Whats that come to now, 30,000?