The Bubba Starling Thread

The "college experience" that people talk about is really the "out of mom's house" experience that everyone goes through at that stage of life, whether you're in college, playing pro baseball, in the military or digging ditches for a living. It's a nice time of life. Those of you who are between 18-25, soak it in, folks. It goes by really, really fast.

I agree with you to an extent, but there's more to the college experience than just living away from the parents for the first time. Dorm life/campus life is a lot different than getting a job and living in an apartment. Not that the latter is worse than the former, but they are different.

Having done both I can tell you with much certainty that the difference is terribly slight. The life experiences you're having aren't much different whether you're in class or on the job. Most of your major life changes aren't happening in the classroom or in the office, they're happening socially and in your level of maturity. The experience vis-a-vis personal interaction is greater than the experience professionally or educationally, by far.

The "college experience" that people talk about is really the "out of mom's house" experience that everyone goes through at that stage of life, whether you're in college, playing pro baseball, in the military or digging ditches for a living. It's a nice time of life. Those of you who are between 18-25, soak it in, folks. It goes by really, really fast.

I agree with you to an extent, but there's more to the college experience than just living away from the parents for the first time. Dorm life/campus life is a lot different than getting a job and living in an apartment. Not that the latter is worse than the former, but they are different.

Having done both I can tell you with much certainty that the difference is terribly slight. The life experiences you're having aren't much different whether you're in class or on the job. Most of your major life changes aren't happening in the classroom or in the office, they're happening socially and in your level of maturity. The experience vis-a-vis personal interaction is greater than the experience professionally or educationally, by far.

Ok, but I've also done both. I found each experience to be pretty different. My social life on campus was unique compared to my social life outside of school. Again, not saying that one was better or worse, but that they were different. I'm not saying that some individual would grow more given one experience or the other, just that the campus experience is one I personally found to be unique.

Once a player starts playing, don't they have 5 years to play 4? When does the clock start on that, is it when they start practicing? If so, that would be a huge reason for Bubba to not practice. If baseball doesn't work out, he'd be closing the door on football too if he practiced for a few days and that started the clock ticking. He'd have to either be committed to football now, or committed to never playing football again, to start practicing now.

I think HANC is right, Bo is handling this the best way for all.

That may be. But I wonder if just enrolling has something to do with it? If you recall the whole Roburt Sallie deal with why he wasn't able to play for us was because he had enrolled before, thus he went to Memphis. Granted it's not completely the same, and I'm pretty sure Bubba has time to drop classes though, and I can't imagine our admission office dropping the ball on the same sort of thing twice. Especially with someone as high profile as Bubba.

Ok, but I've also done both. I found each experience to be pretty different. My social life on campus was pretty unique compared to my social life outside of school. Again, not saying that one was better or worse, but that they were different. I'm not saying that some individual would grow more given one experience or the other, just that the campus experience is one I personally found to be unique.

Unique, or different? There is a difference. Certainly the social experiences offered at college are unique to those of the outside world, I don't think anyone would argue that. But unless you're heavily involved in campus-specific activities, you're not living a very different life. You're still going to parties, you're still going to bars, you're still living outside Mom & Dad's house for the first time, you're still having those first sexual experiences where you don't have to worry about your dad knocking on the door, you're still learning to budget on your own, pay your own bills, manage your own time, coordinate your own activities, etc.

What unique experiences did you have in college that a guy digging ditches right after high school didn't have? I would venture that your experiences in college would be similar to those of a ditch-digger, with both being quite similar compared to Okaive's life in the Service.

Once a player starts playing, don't they have 5 years to play 4? When does the clock start on that, is it when they start practicing? If so, that would be a huge reason for Bubba to not practice. If baseball doesn't work out, he'd be closing the door on football too if he practiced for a few days and that started the clock ticking. He'd have to either be committed to football now, or committed to never playing football again, to start practicing now.

I think HANC is right, Bo is handling this the best way for all.

That may be. But I wonder if just enrolling has something to do with it? If you recall the whole Roburt Sallie deal with why he wasn't able to play for us was because he had enrolled before, thus he went to Memphis. Granted it's not completely the same, and I'm pretty sure Bubba has time to drop classes though, and I can't imagine our administration office dropping the ball on the same sort of thing twice. Especially with someone as high profile as Bubba.

From what Ive heard, is that Bubba isnt enrolled as a fulltime student... not taking enough credits to be considered such... and that the The clock for him starts when he is taking the full number of credits to be a fulltime student

Living in a dorm room is different from living in an apartment. Eating at the dorm cafeteria is different from cooking for yourself in an apartment. Being part of a fraternity or the marching band (or a football team, in Bubba's case) is different. Playing intramural sports in a college league is different than say, playing them in a church league or just with your friends. In college, the professional world and the personal world is blended into one, where you often go to class with your friends, who are your own age, and you're basically with people your own age constantly. In the professional world, you work with whoever you work, whether they're your age or not, and there's less potential to meet new people (since you're not surrounded by 15,000 other students). There's no reason a ditch-digger couldn't go to lectures and read books about philosophy, but generally there's more potential for somebody in college to be exposed to new ways of thinking and to meet people of different backgrounds.

I, for example, roomed with a Pakistani Muslim student my freshman year. That was an experience I never would have had if not for college, and it is an experience that changed the way I viewed the world. Sure, somebody else could have had that experience without school, but I probably couldn't have. Some other people probably didn't have that kind of experience in college, and maybe would be more likely to have an experience like that in the professional world. There are also experiences I will never have, since I'm not in the military, or since I'm never going to be a rich CEO. There are things I will miss out on from not experiencing those lifestyles, just like anybody who doesn't go to college is missing out on some of the unique aspects of that lifestyle. The college experience is more than just "growing up," just like getting a job or joining the military or whatever is more than just "growing up."

The point is, whatever Bubba decides, he's at least somewhat closing the door on some opportunities. His life, should he choose college, will be different from his life should he choose professional baseball in more ways than just his financial comfort.

• Fire 1

From what Ive heard, is that Bubba isnt enrolled as a fulltime student... not taking enough credits to be considered such... and that the The clock for him starts when he is taking the full number of credits to be a fulltime student

If you're talking about summer, the requirement has to be half-time. (I don't know this, I just think it would be crazy if they made them do 12). Full time just isn't feasible for everyone. It's still 12 credits. In order to take 12 credits you would have to spend one of the sessions in the classroom 5-6 hours a day, and it's likely one of those classes would not apply to your degree because you just had to find one that didn't conflict with the required course. The only reason I managed full-time is because Calc2+Calc3=9 credits. If you're talking about Fall, you can completely ignore this :P

Edit: Also, he enrolled in July. So your point still stands because he'd only have been enrolled for 3 credits.

Living in a dorm room is different from living in an apartment. Eating at the dorm cafeteria is different from cooking for yourself in an apartment. Being part of a fraternity or the marching band (or a football team, in Bubba's case) is different. Playing intramural sports in a college league is different than say, playing them in a church league or just with your friends. In college, the professional world and the personal world is blended into one, where you often go to class with your friends, who are your own age, and you're basically with people your own age constantly. In the professional world, you work with whoever you work, whether they're your age or not, and there's less potential to meet new people (since you're not surrounded by 15,000 other students). There's no reason a ditch-digger couldn't go to lectures and read books about philosophy, but generally there's more potential for somebody in college to be exposed to new ways of thinking and to meet people of different backgrounds.

I, for example, roomed with a Pakistani Muslim student my freshman year. That was an experience I never would have had if not for college, and it is an experience that changed the way I viewed the world. Sure, somebody else could have had that experience without school, but I probably couldn't have. Some other people probably didn't have that kind of experience in college, and maybe would be more likely to have an experience like that in the professional world. There are also experiences I will never have, since I'm not in the military, or since I'm never going to be a rich CEO. There are things I will miss out on from not experiencing those lifestyles, just like anybody who doesn't go to college is missing out on some of the unique aspects of that lifestyle. The college experience is more than just "growing up," just like getting a job or joining the military or whatever is more than just "growing up."

The point is, whatever Bubba decides, he's at least somewhat closing the door on some opportunities. His life, should he choose college, will be different from his life should he choose professional baseball in more ways than just his financial comfort.

All of these things are as different as A and B, not A and Z.

All of these things are as different as A and B, not A and Z.

haha, ok, well everything is relative. My only point is when people talk about the college experience, they're trying to say that Bubba's gonna miss out on some stuff if he doesn't go to college, which is true. The question is whether that stuff is worth not having the 8.5 million dollars or whatever it is that the Royals are offering him. If he skips out on the 8.5 million dollars in favor of college, he'll still be missing out on some stuff from that other lifestyle.

wtf is this?

Monday morning includes a blast out of nowhere from Peter Gammons.

A blast in the form of a Gammons tweet:

"Bo Pellini going off on and threatening Bubba Starling is great news for the Royals."

Bubba's dad has already said it's a "rumor" and "not true" according to Sam McKewon. I'm not one to defend some of Bo's past behavior, but people are just plain making stuff up about him now. Gammons needs to be called-out for this in a big way. National reporters are just loving the "Crazy Bo" angle and are exaggerating every little comment or facial expression he makes. The Husker haters in their audience eat it up.