The Bubba Starling Thread

Okay so let's say hypothetically he gets 3mil. And that's gonna have to be a bigger market team to give him that because smaller market teams can't pay that right now.

Not really true, they money you get depends on not only your slot but also how bad a team wants you. Couple that

with the fact that his has options, college, and is not a college senior out of eligibility and that he has the best agent in all of MLB as his rep., chances are he gets more than 3 million. And that amount can come from any team not just big market. FYI the KC Royals have spent more money in the draft and signing foriegn players for the past 4 year than any other team in MLB.

I believe he is being looked at primarily as a pitcher/outfield prospect. But here's the catch, your not being drafted to the MLB. Your being drafted into their farm system. It's a 3-5 year wait before your playing in the Majors, if you even make it. Now, if (God Forbid) he does get injured, teams will likely sever ties with him and all expenses are on him after that point. Rehab? Training? Agents?(Especially Boras) that stuff costs millions of dollars.

Agents take a cut of your paycheck, they get paid when you get paid. Right now Boras is doing all that work for free because he knows a big payday is coming. Yes it will take time to get up, but it is something you must do to make it to the bigs. He would still be facing much better talent there at any level then he will at nebraska, especially with the move to the big 10. Also, lets not forget that money he gets upfront is just a BONUS to sign. He then also has a contract, usually worth millions over 4-6 years. Example, Royals drafted Eric Hosmer #3 overall out of HS, Signed him to a 6 million dollar bonus and gave him a contract. The bonus that you guys are talking about is just that, a bonus. Also, I believe that injuries that occur while performing duties with the team are covered and taken care of. And if he does get hurt and a team walks away, his contract is guarenteed to be paid.

Now the other option, go to college on scholarship. Still plays two sports. If he gets injured here you know Bo and the University will take care of all medical expense. Case in point - Blake Lawrence.

The smart decision is school. Always is. But I don't think we will ever see him in a Husker uniform. With Boras as his agent, the odds are overwhelmingly in MLB's favor. But I think his decision will be swayed by which team drafts him. Small market teams pay small market money.

First again with the injury. Does a school still pay if the player no longer goes there? Nope. They pay if they were injured in that sport and are still enrolled. NO different that pro sports. And school is not always the smart decision. I recently read an article that said around only 5% of HS players that were considered first round takes that went to college were ever drafted in the first round out of college. School is always an option, even at 80 years of age you could enroll into college. Its not everyday that someone says, "heres 6 millon dollors to do what you love. The offer is only good for 1 month, take it or leave it?" So basically odds are if he goes to college he will never get that money and woudl still have to go through the minors, if he is even drafted.

And again, market size does not matter in the draft. Slot and desire matter. You could get 3 as the 28 pick if that team wants you bad enough. Does market matter when getting your 2nd major league deal, sure it does. It does not matter for the draft and your first deal. TB, NATS and KC have given out some of the biggest draft contracts lately. Not the yankees or redsox.

Wake up. No chance

You realize you're exactly the kind of person all these articles mention that Bubba gets really peeved about, speaking for him?

Good. I hope he uses it as motivation to prove BIG ERN wrong. :)

I hope he proves me wrong as well, but what kid would turn down a few mil to not even initially start?

I'd love to know the last time Scott Boras represented a kid who turned down the pros to go to college. I can't believe a guy like Boras is representing the kid just to have him go to Nebraska.

Sipple was on KLIN this AM and said his opinion is that Bubba should play baseball, but he also said he thinks Bubba is genuinely considering coming to Nebraska. Bubba told Sipple the other day that he doesn't know if he's ready to make that jump to manhood, which is what he sees happening the day he signs that contract.

Bubba's dad was out of work for a while, but apparently he's working again. He got laid off from his job of 18 years recently, but now he's back at work.

Sipple is talking about $5 million signing bonuses. While Bubba's family isn't hurting for money, how do you turn that down?

Sipple said that Bubba is crazy fast on the bases. He said it's like watching Taylor Martinez on the base paths. Also said that pro scouts that have "seen it all" are still gushing over Bubba. The guy is, apparently, that good.

Another interesting point they just made: Bubba wants to play baseball here, too, but what do you do with the guy during Spring Football when you have baseball running at the same time? What's going to happen when Bubba wants to compete for the starting QB gig, but has to play baseball games as well?

Sipple continued by speculating that Boras may try to prohibit Bubba from contact while he's here. That means that while Bubba is negotiating whatever offer he gets and he's here at Nebraska's Fall Camp - which starts August 6th, I believe - he may not be allowed to play. He could be relegated to either watching or at best wearing a green jersey. He certainly won't be competing for the QB job this fall if that's the case.

Bubba is torn, that's the bottom line. Whatever we have to say here, no matter how much of us think it's a no-brainer for him to play baseball, it seems like he's genuinely considering, strongly, coming here. And his mom, apparently, is strongly in favor of him coming to Nebraska.

Maybe the stars align for us this year. Maybe we win a recruiting battle against all the odds in the world for a guy who could, truly, become a two-sport phenom.

Should make for a fun summer.

Scott Boras is Bubba Starling's advisor, he is a top 5 pick, there is no chance he will end up at Nebraska. He'd really be doing himself a disservice to not take this opportunity. A multi-million dollar signing bonus for doing absolutely nothing will not always be available, college with the means to pay for it himself will be. Really would love to watch him play at NU but we all know he isn't going to, and nobody should blame him.

[You realize you're exactly the kind of person all these articles mention that Bubba gets really peeved about, speaking for him?

If he does go the baseball route, he'd better not get drafted by any NY, Philly, or Boston team...

Or invest in a thick skin kit...

FYI the Mets have first shot at #13 and the Red Sox are at #19. The Phillies and Yankees do not have first round picks this year due to trades.

I doubt Bubba gets out of the top 10.

I'd love to know the last time Scott Boras represented a kid who turned down the pros to go to college. I can't believe a guy like Boras is representing the kid just to have him go to Nebraska.

Gerrit Cole went to UCLA instead of playing for the Yankees.

+1

Good find. Apparently he was the 28th overall pick and the Yankees were offering (reportedly) around $4 million in signing bonuses, but he went to college anyway.

Didn't seem to hurt him. He had a fine career (even beating the Huskers this year) and now appears ready to go atop the 2011 draft.

until Bubba signs on the dotted line, NU still has a chance for him, but i dont think he will be wearing a husker uniform come August 16.

$6 Mil signing bonus

- $600K commission to agent (10%)

- $1.8 Mil Tax (30%)

= $3.4 Mil

still a lot of money though

until Bubba signs on the dotted line, NU still has a chance for him, but i dont think he will be wearing a husker uniform come August 16.

$6 Mil signing bonus

- $600K commission to agent (10%)

- $1.8 Mil Tax (30%)

= $3.4 Mil

still a lot of money though

I've been hearing the signing bonus is going to be more around the 2-3 mil range. Still a lot of money but I've also heard the "magic" number for him is around 6.

I think the success of his future is the deciding factor.

Sure, with his ability he could tear it up in the minors, but when it comes to taking the next step... is he going to be a pro football or pro baseball player or maybe some other career? That's what is so tough for him to decide right now. MLB would be the easy route for him right now (financially as well), But he is a well grounded kid and does not want to do just what's easy... He wants to succeed for years to come and wants to see and prove to everyone what he's really made of.

He could benefit from playing two sports, getting a degree, and possibly more money down the road. He should build his character by proving himself on another level. His family would understand, and would be very supportive of him in college I'm sure.

Although there are risks, the players that make it through will stand out. An education actually means something to some people. :bigredn: