I just think there was a big lashback against the attitude towards recruiting Callahan had. When you get down to it, it's a dirty game whether you play by rules or not. A lot of selling, a lot of slick dealing, promises, etc, etc. I think the "bring the Nebraska Way back" movement was not that compatible with it. I'd point to that time two recruiting classes ago (?) when we lost a number of prospects just because we weren't in touch with them for a couple week in the summer, and when we got back on it the ship had sailed. We closed out great that year though. I remember vaguely the concerns from last year at the end of the year, but fortunately we were able to close strong with Peat.

The location/weather thing I sort of get, but sort of don't. We are capable of generating enough hype (and have been an up-and-coming program the past few years) to have gotten some Top 10 classes. And if we become an elite program, I think we'll get Top 10 classes year-in, year-out, if we want to. Osborne's classes were very good.

By the way, weren't we supposed to get a ton of commits out of the Texas game last year?

I've been pretty happy with the results so far, but it isn't the big circus it used to be, I think. One could argue that is a good thing.

Nothing Bo Pelini does in recruiting has anything to do with Bill Callahan. Bo didn't look at what Callahan did and intentionally try to do the opposite, or change anything. Bo couldn't care less what Callahan was doing. Bo recruits Bo's way, and the results speak for themselves - not in recruiting class rankings, which are a load of horsesh*t, but on the field.

There is a segment of our fan base who will, apparently, never stop wringing their hands over the Callahan Era. Just get over it, already. It's done.

I just think there was a big lashback against the attitude towards recruiting Callahan had. When you get down to it, it's a dirty game whether you play by rules or not. A lot of selling, a lot of slick dealing, promises, etc, etc. I think the "bring the Nebraska Way back" movement was not that compatible with it. I'd point to that time two recruiting classes ago (?) when we lost a number of prospects just because we weren't in touch with them for a couple week in the summer, and when we got back on it the ship had sailed. We closed out great that year though. I remember vaguely the concerns from last year at the end of the year, but fortunately we were able to close strong with Peat.

The location/weather thing I sort of get, but sort of don't. We are capable of generating enough hype (and have been an up-and-coming program the past few years) to have gotten some Top 10 classes. And if we become an elite program, I think we'll get Top 10 classes year-in, year-out, if we want to. Osborne's classes were very good.

By the way, weren't we supposed to get a ton of commits out of the Texas game last year?

I've been pretty happy with the results so far, but it isn't the big circus it used to be, I think. One could argue that is a good thing.

the problems i and others had with callahan's recruiting style, is it was premised on selling kids by any means necessary, apparently largely focused on promising kids early playing time and getting them ready for the NFL. combined that focus with the shadiness that is john blake, and i agree, we got pretty far from "the nebraska way".

if there is a difference in the way that the two coaching staffs recruit, it is largely that the new staff focuses on getting kids here for the right reasons. obviously that doesn't preclude us from touting a thin spot on the depth chart or our defensive staff's ability to put kids in the NFL. i agree though that there is a difference and we are now on the correct side of it. kids come in prepared to compete and focused on winning.

the point here though isn't the difference in sales tactics, the point of this was whether the current staff puts as much effort and focus on recruiting as they need to be (or as the previous staff did). i have no reason to believe they don't. yes, i vaguely recall the time period you're talking about where some kid or two said they couldn't get a hold of the staff. i don't recall the specifics though. which kids did we alienate? were they kids we really wanted? did we get back in on it with any of them? were the coaches taking a vacation? the whole staff?

i've always been of the opinion that this episode was overblown by typical internet recruiting lemmingism, but i've yet to ever get the scoop on what actually happened...

Lets examine how those interviews went with those kids who "called NU and couldnt get in touch with a coach"

Reporter: "So what schools are looking at you and what school are you interested in?"

Kid: "Blah blah blah, and NU"

Reporter: "What kind of interest are you getting from NU?"

Kid: "I visited them once and I think they like me, I tried to call them other other day but I didnt get a hold on anyone"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There you have it, kind of a big difference from the lemmingers that claimed these kids were calling and calling and the NU staff was refusing to call them back.

Lets face it, we know thats how the story really happened.

There is a delicate balance from "working" a kid and annoying them.

lol, large leap going from ... "I tried to call them other other day but I didnt get a hold on anyone"... to.... "kids were calling and calling and the NU staff was refusing to call them back"

Thats my point!

I work with kids everyday. "She hates me" means, "so and so told me to tuck in my shirt", "He gives soooo much homework" means "I didnt finish it because I was facebooking all night", "I tried like a million times to call my project partner" means "I think I called once"

Wow, this thread usually doesn't get rolling each year until about July or August. Posters will complain about how the coaches aren't "putting in the effort", and then others will come in and tell the first group they don't know what they're talking about. Things will get heated, several assistant coaches will be singled out as "the problem", and then everyone forgets the whole thing once the season starts. Occasionally in Dec. or Jan. when recruiting looks good (and the season is on hiatus), a few "I told you so" shots are sent, followed by a few return volleys when a player decommits towards the end.

Did I miss anything?

Recruiting gets earlier and earlier each year - these threads need to keep up w/ the times. :) I was being sarcastic in regards to the "slacking" and "going in the tank" though. Just noticed we're a little behind years past (can surely be attributed to the staff changes which drug on a little longer than ussual) so figured I'd be the first to announce the sky was falling. Someone has to. It's May.

People need not worry about recruiting numbers in may. Only 12 or so kids in this class so make sure we get what kids fit best. Best tool for recruiting is gameday. So until September I would not expect much action. The top talent kids always commit late. We will have to turn kids away this year with low attrition. Relax.

People need not worry about recruiting numbers in may. Only 12 or so kids in this class so make sure we get what kids fit best. Best tool for recruiting is gameday. So until September I would not expect much action. The top talent kids always commit late. We will have to turn kids away this year with low attrition. Relax.

This is right on point. With the size of the class we're taking we have to be very selective. I am very happy with where our recruiting is. Some very high profile kids are showing strong interest in us. Just give it some time and let things play out.

No need to worry at all yet.

He have 2 high caliber recruits committed to us right now. No they're not 4 stars YET, but we all know a lot of guys get bumped up in the star rankings between now and February (eg David Santos). Both Rose and Westerman have the skills to be upgraded... and it wouldn't suprise me if one or both do get upgraded.

Within just a couple more weeks we'll have 4 commits. Terrell Mitchell TE, is set to pull the trigger on Monday. And it is said CB Joe Williams should pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. DE Greg McMullen currently has us in the lead and should pull the trigger sometime this summer or early fall. DT Vincent Valentine has us in his top group. QB Steve Donatell has an offer from us and loves us; there's a good chance he commits after attending a game in the fall.

We're going to have a SOLID class this year. I have no doubts about that.

He have 2 high caliber recruits committed to us right now. No they're not 4 stars YET, but we all know a lot of guys get bumped up in the star rankings between now and February (eg David Santos). Both Rose and Westerman have the skills to be upgraded... and it wouldn't suprise me if one or both do get upgraded.

Within just a couple more weeks we'll have 4 commits. Terrell Mitchell TE, is set to pull the trigger on Monday. And it is said CB Joe Williams should pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. DE Greg McMullen currently has us in the lead and should pull the trigger sometime this summer or early fall. DT Vincent Valentine has us in his top group. QB Steve Donatell has an offer from us and loves us; there's a good chance he commits after attending a game in the fall.

Who is this Westerman you speak of. Wrong recruiting cycle. Mitchell and Williams(IF he commits too) both would count against last years class.

Again why the obsession with star totals people??? A CB that just left the program and was drafted in the 1st round didn't have the four magical stars behind his name. In fact Niles was the only player drafted from the team with that "magical" fourth star.

Seriously this is getting to be about as repetative and dedhoarse as QB discussions.

Who is this Westerman you speak of. Wrong recruiting cycle. Mitchell and Williams(IF he commits too) both would count against last years class.

Again why the obsession with star totals people??? A CB that just left the program and was drafted in the 1st round didn't have the four magical stars behind his name. In fact Niles was the only player drafted from the team with that "magical" fourth star.

Seriously this is getting to be about as repetative and dedhoarse as QB discussions.

By western I meant Jordan westerkamp.... Sorry was doing about 5 things at the same time when I typed that. And all my goal was in that post was to point out that we need not freak out about this being a bad class. Because it's going to be an awesome class!!

I feel like taking recruiting slow at this time works to our advantage. I feel like with our defense, we'll have a chance to play for a national championship. If we're 6-0 after the Ohio State game, a couple high profile recruits who werent considering us very seriously might suddenly consider taking a visit. Take only top talent right now & if the season plays out like I feel it will, we'll be in on some really good prospects at the end

• Fire 1

This is right on point. With the size of the class we're taking we have to be very selective. I am very happy with where our recruiting is. Some very high profile kids are showing strong interest in us. Just give it some time and let things play out.

Not to look too far ahead, but with us being more selective this year, and without as many offers out, I'm sure the coaches are planning ahead even more into the next recruiting cycle.