Candidates for baseball HC?

From the Baseball America Blog:

Baseball America Link

Nebraska Fires Mike Anderson

Posted May. 22, 2011 6:19 pm by Aaron Fitt

Filed under: Around The Nation, Coaching Carousel

A day after Nebraska finished the regular season in last place in the Big 12, the school announced it is parting ways with head coach Mike Anderson after nine seasons.

After sweeping a doubleheader from Missouri on Saturday, the Cornhuskers finished the season 30-25 (9-17 in the Big 12). They will miss regionals this spring for the third straight year, after reaching the NCAA tournament in five of Anderson's first six seasons. In his nine seasons, Anderson guided the Nebraska program to a 337-196-2 record, including two Big 12 titles (2003 and 2005) and the school's third College World Series appearance in 2005. In that season, Nebraska won a school-record 57 games and the Huskers captured the program's first CWS victory.

But the Cornhuskers have not won more than 10 conference games since 2008.

"I appreciate the efforts of Mike Anderson and his coaching staff, but I have made the decision to change the direction of our baseball program," Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said in a release. "Mike has done an outstanding job with our baseball program academically, and he enjoyed outstanding success on the field early in his head coaching career here at Nebraska. I want to thank him for all of his hard work and everything he has done for our baseball program."

Anderson spent eight years as a Nebraska assistant before taking over as head coach in June of 2002.

"It has been an honor and a privilege to serve our student-athletes at the University of Nebraska over the past 15 years," Anderson said in the release. "I am humbled to have worked with so many great people who shared a vision of positive influence on young men's and women's lives. I would like to thank our coaching staff and extended coaching staff for their commitment to our student-athletes."

Osborne said he has no definitive timetable for hiring a replacement. With the Cornhuskers heading to the Big Ten next year, long-time Minnesota assistant Rob Fornasiere might be a good fit. Fornasiere knows the ins and outs of the Big Ten, and BA's 2008 Assistant Coach of the Year has proven he can build a winner at a cold-weather school. Other top assistants in that general region include Oklahoma's Tim Tadlock, Baylor's Mitch Thompson (the 2006 Assistant Coach of the Year), Oklahoma State's Billy Jones and Texas Christian's Tony Vitello (who helped build six straight regional teams at Missouri).

Or Nebraska could make a run at an established head coach like Kansas State's Brad Hill, Oral Roberts' Rob Walton, Illinois State's Mark Kingston, New Mexico's Ray Birmingham, Dallas Baptist's Dan Heefner or even rival Creighton's Ed Servais.

Will Bolt - Head Coach

Justin Seely - Defense

Darin Erstad - Hitting

Todd Oakes - Pitching (if we could steal him from Minnesota)

would be a GREAT staff IMO.

Other than Bolt the name I'm hearing meaningful chatter about is Todd Butler, he's the hitting coach and a great recruiter on Van Horn's staff down at Arkansas.

Would this effect Bubba Sterlings choice to come play to N if he didnt get enough money in the draft?

this is my first worry as well. dont care about baseball at all but i want me some bubba.

This too was my first thought and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it down to Notre Dame and Nebraska with Bubba because both Universities were willing to let him play both sports. I believe Bubba didn't commit to Notre Dame because they fired their Baseball coach last year where we did not.

Whoever Nebraska replaces as the Baseball's new coach should contact Bubba in any form if they are allowed to without breaking any NCAA rules.

Yes that played as big part of his decision reportedly.

That's a bunch of crap. Anderson played almost zero in his decision to come to Nebraska. Honestly the NU baseball team is almost an after thought. If he's here it is almost 100% for football reasons and he's going to also play baseball to keep that stock up. If its about playing baseball he's in the majors.

Kendall Rogers Twitter:

Just spoke to a solid source. Darin Erstad as the next coach at #Nebraska really is starting to gain a lot of steam. Interesting. #Huskers

Don't think Erstad would be anywhere near best hire, but I really liked him when we talked at the ABCA convention in winter. #Huskers #NU

The one thing about Erstad is that he knows #Nebraska in and out, was recruited to play there, and knows what it takes to get a kid there.

LINK

Kendall Rogers Twitter:

Just spoke to a solid source. Darin Erstad as the next coach at #Nebraska really is starting to gain a lot of steam. Interesting. #Huskers

Don't think Erstad would be anywhere near best hire, but I really liked him when we talked at the ABCA convention in winter. #Huskers #NU

The one thing about Erstad is that he knows #Nebraska in and out, was recruited to play there, and knows what it takes to get a kid there.

LINK

I don't think Kendall Rogers has a clue.

Knowing Erstad. . . he's not sure if he wants to be a full time assistant coach because of the time commitments...I don't think he's up for the Head Coach gig.

I was told again this morning unless someone really impresses during the interview its Will Bolts job to lose.

Kendall Rogers Twitter:

LINK

Knowing Erstad. . . he's not sure if he wants to be a full time assistant coach because of the time commitments...I don't think he's up for the Head Coach gig.

I was told again this morning unless someone really impresses during the interview its Will Bolts job to lose.

Agreed. Plus, Will is more likely to keep Erstad on too. Someone has made mention that MA micromanaged the effectiveness out of Erstad as the season went on--I think giving Erstad another year to prove he can make a positive impact would benefit this team greatly.

Also, the comments from the Lincoln and Omaha papers suggest that our moving to the Big 10 really isn't impacting us that much in our search. Seems like coaches like an easy road to the CWS tourney more than the RPI damage, and the Big 10 currently is as easy as it gets for a major conference.

Plus, there are few schools north of the Mason-Dixon line with as much support (financially and otherwise) for their baseball program as Nebraska enjoys.

I think everyone needs to just let the interview process happen. The season, for now, is still playing. The coaches we are likely to interview are probably still coaching. TO (as a former coach) knows how distracting interviews can be and will likely be respectful and wait for the season to end before the interviewing begins. Think about the names mentioned and outside of Will Bolt, every other name is attached to teams that will play in the post season.

I'm as anxious as the next and probably as irritated as everyone else (or more so) by the lack of info out there pertaining to the job search but I'm hoping the patience pays off and we land the best possible coach.

Kendall Rogers Twitter:

LINK

Agreed. Plus, Will is more likely to keep Erstad on too. Someone has made mention that MA micromanaged the effectiveness out of Erstad as the season went on--I think giving Erstad another year to prove he can make a positive impact would benefit this team greatly.

Also, the comments from the Lincoln and Omaha papers suggest that our moving to the Big 10 really isn't impacting us that much in our search. Seems like coaches like an easy road to the CWS tourney more than the RPI damage, and the Big 10 currently is as easy as it gets for a major conference.

Plus, there are few schools north of the Mason-Dixon line with as much support (financially and otherwise) for their baseball program as Nebraska enjoys.

Oddly that topic was covered on both ESPN radio and I think 590 yesterday or the day before (move to the big 10 hurting the search) and most people didn't really see it as a huge issue in today's wold an the way that NU does baseball. The pointed out schools like Rice (good climate but sh**ty conference) as having a good program despite some odds. They also stated facilities are huge and Nebraska is one of the better places in the Nation and definitely top in Northern teams.

As far as MA. . he was always a micromanager and it kept his team ad odds a little bit. I know some of the players kind of soured a touch (rumors as I haven't confirmed with a coach or player)on Darrin and his style but that sometimes happens when someone up above undermines your authority with your players.

Kendall Rogers Twitter:

LINK

Oddly that topic was covered on both ESPN radio and I think 590 yesterday or the day before (move to the big 10 hurting the search) and most people didn't really see it as a huge issue in today's wold an the way that NU does baseball. The pointed out schools like Rice (good climate but sh**ty conference) as having a good program despite some odds. They also stated facilities are huge and Nebraska is one of the better places in the Nation and definitely top in Northern teams.

As far as MA. . he was always a micromanager and it kept his team ad odds a little bit. I know some of the players kind of soured a touch (rumors as I haven't confirmed with a coach or player)on Darrin and his style but that sometimes happens when someone up above undermines your authority with your players.

Your right....rumors

Kendall Rogers Twitter:

LINK

Your right....rumors

Good to know. I like DE. I think he could be a good coach if that's what he wants to do. Honestly I could see him moving on to a farm team for MLB instead of doing the college thing. That would give him more time with the family.

On 1620 they were talking with Sipple or Sherman (can't remember which one) they asked if what happened to MA would effect Bubba's decision and he said with the interviews he has had with him he didn't think it would have much. Whenever Nebraska was brought it up Bubba always brought up Pelini and football and baseball was hardly brought up other than the fact that he was allowed to play both here. With that said I'm sure it has some impact but probably not enough to change his decision. If he chooses to come here it is because he wants to play football for Nebraska, not baseball.

I guess you were right. Apparently it won't affect his decision as much as I thought it might.

"No, definitely not," said Starling, who noted that he also is close with others on the Husker baseball staff, including former NU football-baseball standout and major leaguer Darin Erstad.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_b14edbae-d6a1-5976-9dae-05df29afa3a9.html

Heard a couple of very strong desires to coach at NU late last night as people felt a decision was already made. Its nice to see people making a play for the job as much as they can with seasons still in play. These guys are good enough and that I think perhaps Bolt becomes a second or strong 3rd option. I would be happy with any of the three.