Is it okay to be a gay college athlete?

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dont know, the poll said OPENLY gay. I dont give 2 cents about what anyone does in their own space, but to have one dude waiting at the end of practice for another dude to grab a kiss, I think would affect the team as a whole. Nothing wrong with doing what you want but come on, most of the things straight people do that's "taboo" is behind closed doors.

Just for the record, I have met enough gay people in my time (ex inlaw was gay), and even most of them agree, once they are home it's their bussiness, out in public it's not so pronounced.

I think you're overstating the negativity they'd get, too. Sure, fringe wackos would have a problem with it, but who cares about the fringe wackos? The press would more likely celebrate them than castigate them.

I hope you are right. Because I think it won't be long before some football/baseball player somewhere comes out. Maybe not this year, and probably not at NU, but who knows? And when it does happen I think the media will make a much larger deal of of it than they should. And afterwards, it will be a non-issue.

I'm sure you're right that someone will be announcing soon, within a year or two, if not this season. It's time for that barrier to fall. I think the overall mood of the country is favorable towards gays, with the obvious pockets of resistance.

I don't know how the press will cover it. It'll probably be like any other story - it'll get major air time for a while, then it'll go away when the next big story comes up. What would be better is if the player made it known to their teammates first, they got used to it, and eventually it came out to the press. That would minimize the impact, I think.

As much as I dislike the bias against gays (or any other bias for that matter), I equally dislike the way the press treats certain stories, whether that be 'out of the closet' stories, political "scandals," celebrity "scandals," etc. The main reason someone coming out would be a big deal is that the press needs a big deal to feed their machine. Otherwise..... who cares?

• Fire 1

I dont know, the poll said OPENLY gay. I dont give 2 cents about what anyone does in their own space, but to have one dude waiting at the end of practice for another dude to grab a kiss, I think would affect the team as a whole. Nothing wrong with doing what you want but come on, most of the things straight people do that's "taboo" is behind closed doors.

Just for the record, I have met enough gay people in my time (ex inlaw was gay), and even most of them agree, once they are home it's their bussiness, out in public it's not so pronounced.

Is it really my business if my teammate kisses his boyfriend in front of me? Isn't my squeamishness my problem, not his?

How is it different than me eating octopus in front of my wife? She nearly hurls watching me, but I like it. Is that my problem or hers?

By the way, I think this poll and ensuing discussion are a great indicator of how the general public feels about homosexuality. 14 people voted for "don't care," two voted for "mostly don't care, but slightly reserved" and one voted for "not in favor."

However, that one person who voted not in favor is not stating that publicly. Why is that? Isn't it because they know that's likely going to get them some flak? That's where America is right now, in my opinion. Mostly OK with it. Some with reservations. Some not OK with it.

Kinda like how people feel about Texas up here, isn't it? :D

Is it really my business if my teammate kisses his boyfriend in front of me? Isn't my squeamishness my problem, not his?

How is it different than me eating octopus in front of my wife? She nearly hurls watching me, but I like it. Is that my problem or hers?

Yes but do you do things often that your wife does not like in front of her? Eating something is way different. I understand what you are trying to say, that it is our own lack of understanding. But why then when I go into a building that I have to pay to get into, in some areas women cant even go topless? There is no touching going on and everyone in there knows what is in there before the go in? Like I said I am pretty open person, hell my wife goes to the "bars" with me. But those women are not running around town with boobies out, are they? Do I need to move?

However, that one person who voted not in favor is not stating that publicly. Why is that?

Hey I got no problems saying it was me. I stated why. As someone else pointed out it's not up to us, if the coaches and players are ok with whatever then fine, I just really think it would affect a team if it was OPEN. If not then cheerleaders should be able to go topless as well, if sexual acts or displays don't affect anyone.

Yes but do you do things often that your wife does not like in front of her? Eating something is way different. I understand what you are trying to say, that it is our own lack of understanding. But why then when I go into a building that I have to pay to get into, in some areas women cant even go topless? There is no touching going on and everyone in there knows what is in there before the go in? Like I said I am pretty open person, hell my wife goes to the "bars" with me. But those women are not running around town with boobies out, are they? Do I need to move?

I'm not really sure where you're going with this. Are you talking about strip clubs? The major difference I would see between John Smith kissing his boyfriend after football practice and going to a strip club is, the kiss is a random sign of affection, like a hug or holding hands, while the strip club has an inherent sexual component to it.

Let's put it this way - would you be weirded out if a guy kissed his wife in front of you, in public, like at a restaurant or at the ballpark? Probably not, because it's a generic sign of affection. But if they went all-out with tongues down each others throats and hands groping, even if they remained totally clothed wouldn't the uncomfortable factor start to rise? No matter the gender of the people involved, this is uncomfortable in a public setting:

EDIT - crap, that was supposed to be the Will Ferrell/Rachel Dratch "Lovers" sketch from SNL. Here's a link to a HULU video where these two make out like crazy.

However, that one person who voted not in favor is not stating that publicly. Why is that?

Hey I got no problems saying it was me. I stated why. As someone else pointed out it's not up to us, if the coaches and players are ok with whatever then fine, I just really think it would affect a team if it was OPEN. If not then cheerleaders should be able to go topless as well, if sexual acts or displays don't affect anyone.

OK, thanks for being open about that. I apologize for baiting that post to get the person who voted that way to out themselves, but I thought it would help the conversation.

Are you contending that any sign of affection between two men is sexual? What if they're virgins, but kiss in public. Is that OK?

Everyone is talking about how it is their life style, who are we to judge. But if this person was choosing to shoot up heroine in there free time I would definetely judge them. I personally do believe that living a homosexual lifestyle is wrong. But it is just as morally wrong as all the guys out there sleeping around with girls. I would still cheer for him and support him as a husker, but would not support his lifestyle.

Everyone is talking about how it is their life style, who are we to judge. But if this person was choosing to shoot up heroine in there free time I would definetely judge them. I personally do believe that living a homosexual lifestyle is wrong. But it is just as morally wrong as all the guys out there sleeping around with girls. I would still cheer for him and support him as a husker, but would not support his lifestyle.

Comparing a a drug such as heroine, somthing that can kill you, to one's sexual oreintation is way off IMO. It is a choice that someone can make, but we are talking about someone's choice to sleep with a man or a woman. Not to take drugs, and do something illegal.

Shooting heroin is illegal. Being gay is not a crime. You don't have to like the fact that they're gay, but there's nothing wrong with it, and it's not your place or my place to judge. Your morals don't have anything to do with me or the players on the team.

Comparing a a drug such as heroine, somthing that can kill you, to one's sexual oreintation is way off IMO. It is a choice that someone can make, but we are talking about someone's choice to sleep with a man or a woman. Not to take drugs, and do something illegal.

It is more extreme...but they are both lifestyle choices that are definetely judgeable

It is more extreme...but they are both lifestyle choices that are definetely judgeable

But one is illegal, and one is not. You can judge someone for being gay, but they are not the same.

Ok, the problem then is how uncomfortable people get. Like I said topless cheerleaders are not showing any sign of affection, so that should be a no brainer by your thoughts right? I mean come on we are moving forward but you have to know that less than a hundred years ago Missery would not play Iowa because we had a black player. Sometimes things dont move as fast as we want, I want topless cheerleaders and you are arguing for openly gay relationships in football, hate to tell you I dont think either of us are going to get very far. I am not saying I agree with it, I am just saying I dont think people can handle it. We cant even get over long hair or the tat's part. I like your thinking, but people are not so intune. If 3 out of 100 are not so intune, what if those 3 were your coaches or your best players and it meant the diff between several NC's and tranfers and only winning 2 a season for 3 years?