Cody Green to transfer?

You're absolutely right that this happens a lot more than people think, and we should not be too harsh on any kid that thinks of doing so. It is tough after all. Taylor didn't go through with it, so that counts for something. It still does leave a bad taste in my mouth, because while I disagree with skersfan's take on loyalty and commitment for the most part, there's a little bit of that in me too.

Martinez thought about transferring, and that left such a bad taste in your mouth that you spent the next six months leading the anti-Martinez bandwagon. Green actually transfers, and you wish him the "best of luck." Makes no sense.

Hujan, 99% of skilled players do not play at all with a turf toe on one leg & bad ankle on the other. You implying that it's just a minor injury that should be played through with little problems is totally wrong.

My God, you're actually asking why the media would exaggerate or distort any possible bad "news"? Wow......were you born yesterday?

Lastly, where are the facts that "Tmart acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t"?

Where are your facts that "99% of skilled players do not play at all with a turf toe on one leg & bad ankle on the other"? If you think most guys are pristine by mid-season and don't have some bumps and bruises akin to "turf toe" or a "bad ankle" or both, you're dreaming. Perhaps you haven't played college sports, but it's surprisingly common place.

Regarding the media, you Martinez jock-monkeys can't have it both ways. I have Hercules telling me that Cody Green's seemingly positive attitude in the face of adversity is a media creation, and now you're telling me that Martinez's seemingly bad attitude is a media creation too. So the question arises: If the media just wants to rake muck, why did the media decide to spin CG as a good guy and Martinez as a jackass? Why not paint both as jackasses? Or why not spin it the other way around? Why isn't Green being portrayed as the selfish, me-first player, and Martinez portrayed as the ultimate team player?

Maybe, just maybe, the media reports what they see?

Uh, for one, I haven't seen the media portray Taylor as jackass. No, that's been internet "insiders" and 3rd hand reporting from "friend of a friend" types, and it's been repeated over and over without a shred of evidence. As for the way the media reports people, it's easy to understand. Cody has always been one to soak up the media and the cameras while Taylor has not. It's been that way forever. If a guy is friendly with the media, they'll portray him in a better light than someone who doesn't like to talk.

You're absolutely right that this happens a lot more than people think, and we should not be too harsh on any kid that thinks of doing so. It is tough after all. Taylor didn't go through with it, so that counts for something. It still does leave a bad taste in my mouth, because while I disagree with skersfan's take on loyalty and commitment for the most part, there's a little bit of that in me too.

Martinez thought about transferring, and that left such a bad taste in your mouth that you spent the next six months leading the anti-Martinez bandwagon. Green actually transfers, and you wish him the "best of luck." Makes no sense.

Again, the circumstances of the transfer were very different. Switch Martinez's case last year with Green's name and it'd be the same story.

Honestly if Taylor had actually gone last August, oh well. It's not like I would wish him ill elsewhere. But he came back and became the starter. Hard to rally around that, just like if Green changed his mind now, I wouldn't exactly be giddy about him winning the starting job or ever becoming the face of the team/leader of the offense.

Also, I'm skeptical of Taylor's ability as a QB in many ways, but I don't root against him, as that "anti-Martinez" moniker would suggest.

Enhance, I don't really recall many people saying they've talked to someone involved and it didn't happen. There are just various takes you can have on it, more positive/mild responses or negative responses. But da skers has a point, used to be something like this wouldn't even get out to the public, something that is better for everyone. Too much information goes around these days and it's not too much of a blessing, even though when it's available we are all eager to hear it.

Well I'm not debating that it did or didn't happen. From the information I've seen, I believe there might have been some point where Martinez gave someone reason to believe he was leaving. Did he actually leave? I don't know. I don't think it just came out of nowhere. My point is I'm not about to consider something a "fact" if it's merely hearsay and has no substantial evidence to back it up.

I'll listen to it but I have a problem with people saying hearsay is fact. That's how rumors and misinformation get spread around.

Besides, the truth of the matter right now is this - Martinez is on the team and Green is transferring. I can't fault Green for wanting a transfer. Truth be told it's kind of ridiculous we're all arguing about this right now.

Don't have time to read all the posts, so I don't know if this has been touched. If Bubba doesn't come, I can see Turner getting some reps at QB, while staying at WR until an injury occurs. I think it was Big Willie who said that RK has had some leg injury issues, and he therefore lacks mobility as a result. That other walk on -- can't think of his name -- may be the one to keep an eye on.

Leg issues or not RK III is not a dual threat quarterback. As far as I know he is a pocket passer through and through. I'm sure he's an athletic guy but as far as athleticism is concerned I think he's the least athletic quarterback we have.

If Bubba doesn't come I think our quarterback situation will likely play out with Martinez, then Carnes and then Kellogg. I don't see Turner moving barring injury, as you said.

Enhance,

My feelings are a man is only as good as his word, his handshake, nothing beyond that means much to me.

Yes I have one son, and at age 14 to 20 he was a world class athlete. He is now 41.

He was injured midway through the third year of a international contract. He had to retire, but he returned the money that he had been paid in advance past his injury date, did not take the remainder of it, a considerable amount, because his word was he would compete for that year and the following. He could not do so, so he did not feel he was owed the money. People now think only about what is best for them and their rewards, never thinking about finishing what they agreed to if it does not work out as they plan, move on do what you need to do for you.

Some instances that is fine, again my concern is the timing of this move. Knowing full well he was putting the program in a bad situation. Apparently having little concern for the program and his fans. taking a college scholarship is an obligation by both sides, one side is not living up to their promise.

Personally I do not care if he leaves or stays, my concern is what he has potentially done to Nebraska. I have always felt he was good kid, but was never the player that some seemed to think he was. But heI was in position to help this program, do what he promised to when he signed his letter of agreement. A situation that may full well come to fruition during a tough Big Ten season. He was a team leader, or so some have said, him leaving makes it easier for others to follow.

I am an old geezer, and most of us seem to live in what we were taught as young kids. Kids are being taught different things these days.

I am sorry I started the firs storm, as I know all of you live and breath Nebraska football as I do. All are entitled to their oppinions, I havae stated mine and nothing that has been said changes it.

• Fire 1

My God, he was here for 2 years and was obviously not a very good fit for our offense. Probably less so now with a new OC. I'm sure he's painfully aware of this and would prefer not to spend his 4 years of eligibility riding the bench the vast majority of the time. Let the kid go somewhere where he can have more of an impact in the year he's going to have left to play football.

And l.o.l. at drawing parallels between the Marine Corp and f'ing college football. Get a grip. People aren't expected to stay with a company or team for their entire lives if they're unhappy because they don't fit in or it's not a good environment for them to succeed or a million other legitimate reasons. Sure it's ideal to take some punches for the team, but it ultimately comes down to what's good for YOU. Our offense isn't going to implode without him. We'll be fine.

Hujan, 99% of skilled players do not play at all with a turf toe on one leg & bad ankle on the other. You implying that it's just a minor injury that should be played through with little problems is totally wrong.

My God, you're actually asking why the media would exaggerate or distort any possible bad "news"? Wow......were you born yesterday?

Lastly, where are the facts that "Tmart acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t"?

Where are your facts that "99% of skilled players do not play at all with a turf toe on one leg & bad ankle on the other"? If you think most guys are pristine by mid-season and don't have some bumps and bruises akin to "turf toe" or a "bad ankle" or both, you're dreaming. Perhaps you haven't played college sports, but it's surprisingly common place.

Regarding the media, you Martinez jock-monkeys can't have it both ways. I have Hercules telling me that Cody Green's seemingly positive attitude in the face of adversity is a media creation, and now you're telling me that Martinez's seemingly bad attitude is a media creation too. So the question arises: If the media just wants to rake muck, why did the media decide to spin CG as a good guy and Martinez as a jackass? Why not paint both as jackasses? Or why not spin it the other way around? Why isn't Green being portrayed as the selfish, me-first player, and Martinez portrayed as the ultimate team player?

Uh, for one, I haven't seen the media portray Taylor as jackass. No, that's been internet "insiders" and 3rd hand reporting from "friend of a friend" types, and it's been repeated over and over without a shred of evidence. As for the way the media reports people, it's easy to understand. Cody has always been one to soak up the media and the cameras while Taylor has not. It's been that way forever. If a guy is friendly with the media, they'll portray him in a better light than someone who doesn't like to talk.

Let's stop talking in abstract terms and start talking about facts. It's a fact that just about every time you saw Taylor on the sidelines, he was off to the side, looking just about everywhere but the field, very much giving the impression that he couldn't give two sh#ts about what was going on. It's a fact that just about every time the team scored later in the year, you didn't see him celebrating with anyone. It's a fact that people like Philip Dillard came out and said Martinez was a jackass when he was a true Frosh on scout team. And so on and so on.

It's a fact that when Green was on the sideline, the cameras would show him enthusiastically signaling in the plays, celebrating when anyone (including Martinez) made a play, and just generally being enthusiastic. (See also Zac Lee.) Mind you that these were often national TV crews from ABC, ESPN, or Fox, and therefore had no interest in perpetuating "story lines" about "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of Nebraska's QB depth chart. And, of course, every time he was quoted for comment, Green always had a positive, encouraging word. And, I may be mistaken, but I can't recall a single incident--rumor or not--involving Green in a negative way. Nor have I heard a current or former player make any negative comments about him.

If you can't acknowledge that there might be a bit of merit to these two divergent views of Martinez and Green, then I'm afraid you have allowed your Martinez fandom to cloud your better judgment.

It's a fact that just about every time you saw Taylor on the sidelines, he was off to the side, looking just about everywhere but the field, very much giving the impression that he couldn't give two sh#ts about what was going on. It's a fact that just about every time the team scored later in the year, you didn't see him celebrating with anyone. It's a fact that people like Philip Dillard came out and said Martinez was a jackass when he was a true Frosh on scout team. And so on and so on.

How does the word "impression" get into a sentence about "facts?"

Did you watch the Colorado game? I saw Martinez in the midst of the throng on the sideline in several shots talking with several guys, specifically Niles and Rex. Not exactly the same picture as the one you're painting.

And we're talking about Phillip Dillard, the guy who spent several games on the bench because of a poor attitude, correct?

I continue to be amazed at your ability to determine the state of mind and attitude of a player who's playing 2,000 miles away from your home. That is a gift, my friend.

It's a fact that when Green was on the sideline, the cameras would show him enthusiastically signaling in the plays, celebrating when anyone (including Martinez) made a play, and just generally being enthusiastic. (See also Zac Lee.) Mind you that these were often national TV crews from ABC, ESPN, or Fox, and therefore had no interest in perpetuating "story lines" about "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of Nebraska's QB depth chart. And, of course, every time he was quoted for comment, Green always had a positive, encouraging word. And, I may be mistaken, but I can't recall a single incident--rumor or not--involving Green in a negative way. Nor have I heard a current or former player make any negative comments about him.

Yeah, all of that was true... until he quit the team. You're not going to see him on the sideline next year, enthusiastic or not.

And, for the record, regarding one of your earlier posts, I never stated that Cody Green's perception as a good guy was a "media creation." I was merely pointing out that he knows how to act in front of cameras/reporters and Martinez doesn't. That's good for Cody and all, but in my opinion that doesn't make him a better person than anyone else, it just makes him better at handling the media. Obviously when he said he would do anything for the team, that wasn't 100% true. It was perhaps 90% true, but really he was just saying it because he knows that's what he's supposed to say. Martinez (and Pelini, for that matter) doesn't really know/care about what he's supposed to say, and he sometimes gets a bad rap for it when I don't necessarily think that's a bad characteristic for someone to have.

Because I don't buy your assumptions as facts means I'm a "Martinez jock-monkey"? Well, if you say so. I've played college football (not div1....I wasn't that good) and I've seen lots of guys sit out games for bad ankles and turf toe isn't something minor as you suggest. But obviously I'm not going to change your mind so let's agree to disagree.

Heh...but hey, like everybody else who doesn't believe every internet rumor lock, stock & barrel I just want the best player for NU to be on the field. If that makes me a "Martinez jock-monkey" so be it.

GBR!!

Let's stop talking in abstract terms and start talking about facts. It's a fact that just about every time you saw Taylor on the sidelines, he was off to the side, looking just about everywhere but the field, very much giving the impression that he couldn't give two sh#ts about what was going on. It's a fact that just about every time the team scored later in the year, you didn't see him celebrating with anyone. It's a fact that people like Philip Dillard came out and said Martinez was a jackass when he was a true Frosh on scout team. And so on and so on.

If you can't acknowledge that there might be a bit of merit to these two divergent views of Martinez and Green, then I'm afraid you have allowed your Martinez fandom to cloud your better judgment.

It's funny you say fact when your entire first paragraph is an outright lie. I just got done watching the entire regular season, and I specifically looked for the "pouting/hiding Taylor" that has been alluded too by many of the haters. These same people go on an on about Taylor's "attitude" and how he doesn't respect anyone or whatever new BS they can fling. You know what.... it's a Sasquatch. Many people cite it like it's a fact, yet, there is no evidence. I saw many shots of taylor talking with Kinnie, Cody, Zac, coaches, trainers, etc. on the sidelines. When he was injured, he was shown 1 or 2 times a game. So, if in 1 of those shots, he's on the bench, he's automatically a team killing douchebag?

And what does Green signaling plays in have to do with the price of tea in China? He's the backup. That's his frickin' job. Same with Lee. You want to know why Taylor didn't do it? Because he was F($*_&%# injured, wasn't supposed to stand on the sideline all game, and he had never signaled plays before. That's why Lee did it when Cody started against ISU and CU.

Good Lord. I don't know why we have to keep killing these lies.

Well, Knappic, Herc, and Saunders, you guys never disappoint. For you three, questioning Martinez in a thread is like dumping a bucket of bloody chum into shark-infested water.

I know it's hard to win an argument over the Internet, but you guys actually did it. I see the light now. All the apprehension over Martinez is a total media fabrication, along with a good bit of imagination by yours truly (and similarly imaginative, vindictive fans). There really is nothing to the widespread concerns about his attitude and leadership capabilities. It was purely coincidental that his father felt compelled to issue a statement at the end of the season confirming that Martinez is staying with Nebraska and hopes to improve as a leader. Pelini's much-publicized sideline rant was an overreaction to a one-time event and was in no way a consequence of prior events. Anyone who says otherwise is just a "hater" and takes sadistic glee in seeing a young man fail. The only question now is whether Rex is going to follow Martinez's example about how to be a leader and teammate.

Fact: TMart left briefly but its not anything close to how it's been rumored to have happened. I was disappointed when it happened. Glad when he returned.

This is fact? Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I have never seen this officially confirmed. Link perhaps?

Can't give you a link to conversations I've had with people involved. Just know that when Tmart and Bo say he didn't quit it isn't 100% truthful and I'm ok with that. Lots of things that many people aren't smart enough to understand were happening and frankly I'm not going to spill it out on the interent. We're not that privileged as fans to deserve to know what's going on internally or personally with people just because we like the team they play for. This is real life so just accept that if you don't know what happened you're probably never going to get to know in the next 10 years. That being said...them saying there was at no time a point when he considered quiting or did quit is like saying Tressel felt compelled to give his resignation this morning.

Somebody knows Bo's aquarium guy....