Offense to be "Wide receiver friendly"?

Blocking concepts should be similar as well and you'll see more pulling and forward contact meeting the defender at both the line and second levels. There will be less sit back and wait to see who comes at me that I'm going to block. (at least eventually)

That's interesting, because when Barney arrived, his rhetoric was to play with passion and aggression. Whatever became of that? A going-out-and-hitting-guys-hard instead of worrying and overthinking technique, how does that end up at read and react?

While this new rhetoric (forward contact) sounds very nice for the OL, I wonder if you see it as something flat-out better in approach on every level, or maybe just better suited for the scheme we are going to be running. Bo's defense that we all love, for example, is widely referred to as read-and-react, which sounds pansyish except it shuts opponents down.

i figure this is Cotton's last chance/season to keep his job.......just sayin'

Blocking concepts should be similar as well and you'll see more pulling and forward contact meeting the defender at both the line and second levels. There will be less sit back and wait to see who comes at me that I'm going to block. (at least eventually)

That's interesting, because when Barney arrived, his rhetoric was to play with passion and aggression. Whatever became of that? A going-out-and-hitting-guys-hard instead of worrying and overthinking technique, how does that end up at read and react?

While this new rhetoric (forward contact) sounds very nice for the OL, I wonder if you see it as something flat-out better in approach on every level, or maybe just better suited for the scheme we are going to be running. Bo's defense that we all love, for example, is widely referred to as read-and-react, which sounds pansyish except it shuts opponents down.

Every defense in America is a read and react. I guess you could say Bo's is like that but its more off of keys from the offense based off of film study, formations and player tendencies. So yes you're reacting but you pretty much know whats happening from the snap. The only read comes from a sense of "yep that's what I thought they were doing". His real secret to success doesn't come from the other team as much as it comes from reacting to what your teammate is doing and understanding what everyone's role is on the field.

I can tell you the offense had very little understanding of anything but their position and it wasn't taught that you needed to know what the other guy needed to do or know. They weren't teaching offense they were teaching positions. Except.....the RB's. Roy moved up his spot because he actually had been taught offense in his position meetings. I know several NFL camps were impressed with what our RB knew.

I was reading a recruiting article about WR Kenny Lawler and it was noted by his father that they have been told by the coaches that the new offense will be "wide receiver friendly." I must be behind on my offensive rumor mill updates, because I'd been under the assumption that we would still be a fairly run heavy offense. That said, we do have a disciple of Air Kansas running our offense, so I could see us running a system closer to that as well. Doubly so with recent comments that the offense is similar to Martinez's high school offense, in which he threw far more often than running.

Anyone have any new insights into what we might see on the field this fall?

Lets hope our QB is. also wide reciever friendly (He is kinda part of the deal)

i figure this is Cotton's last chance/season to keep his job.......just sayin'

I agree with ya. The Oline makes serious positive strides this year or he's gone. It's just never been a mystery to me that him taking marching orders from a dismal at best OC for NU has its consequences. It sure looks like Bo sees it that way too.

He better pony up this year and he knows it.

The O-line's success this year might be just as, or more important than T-Mart's.

If the O-line plays their collective asses off, then it's going to show us just how good T-Mart truly is. Because if he can't perform under optimum conditions, his reign as starting QB will be a short one...

Yes. We're still going to be 50/50 on run to pass (or as each team allows us) but the routes are much simpler and allow the receivers to play to their technique they think works best. So if a guy uses his hands well to get open he'll do that. If a guy is a changing direction on a dime that will be his deal. If a guy can high jump 32 feet that will be his deal to get open. The offense doesn't force a receiver and say only "this technique" can be used to get open on this play on this route. They're going actually read defenses and adjust accordingly instead of run to "x" place on the field even if the defense prohibits that. A receiver may have 2 options to take on any give route depending on what he sees the defense doing. Its exactly what our DB's do to read offense to determine their coverage. Overall a less gifted receiver will have a better chance to get on the field if he knows how to use his strengths to get open.

That all sounds good except isn't this really more complex rather than simply running a designated route? It also means that both the QB and WR have to read the same way, or you are going to have some times when the ball is thrown to no one, because the receiver cut differently than the QB expected due to a different read. I don't really know, but I suspect we may have done this with Ganz in the past, but not Taylor last year since he was pretty inexperienced reading defenses.

I also don't think the previous offense forced every receiver to do the same thing as you are saying. I can remember end zone plays set up for Purify to outjump DBs, for example. That was under Watson/Gilmore, wasn't it? These guys weren't good coaches, but they weren't total morons either.

It actually dumbs things down for the qb since he doesn't throw to an exact spot if the receiver is there or not or guess what the defense is going to do for the coverage. Its more like playing back yard ball with your buddies. Guys will be in an area of the field. Its not like he's supposed to be sprinting down the right side toward the end zone and a guy is there so he runs across the middle to the left has. Instead he sees the CB is playing to the outside he takes his route in or vice versa. It makes it so the QB puts the ball where the defender isn't and lets the receiver make the play. Its not anything we've run here before and the concepts are very simple. The rule #1 is get open. #2 is do what ever it takes to get open. #3 is if you're open you'll get the ball more often than not.

So, hopefully we'll see more open guys (something we've struggled with) and our QB's won't have to thread the needle.

Bingo.

Big props to Beck for that.

Honestly I am quite disappointed in Watson. For a scheme as complex as his, every player should have been learning the offense, knowing what's going on with his teammates on the field pre- and post-snap.

Lets not look at things in a vacuum too much. Its not like they didn't know that the rb does this on this play and the qb runs here when they were a WR. But there wasn't always the why the offense is doing this that was being taught. They were taught plays but not the reasons behind them and what they were trying to get the defense to do or what match ups they were trying to get or why they were running this play hoping to get x, y and z later. Frankly that was part of Watson's weakness. You didn't see a lot of run this play here to make this one work. He tried to run what he thought would work against what they thought the defense was showing by their personnel grouping. It really hurt us when you have a defense that doesn't line up in form until the offense is set. We were at times at a disadvantage.

other intangibles did not matter (ie. speed, jumping, etc.

These are not intangibles, these are physical attributes. Route running is a skill that was, and still is, important. If the new system is supposed to negate the importance of route running, I'm a bit dubious.

the new offense essentially gets the best receivers on the field no matter how well they have mastered route running and imo this is a good thing.

The new offense gets the players on the field that best understand how to beat defenders, not the ones with the most physical tools.

I don't see how that is a whole lot different than RR. It gets the guys with the best skills on the field. Besides, I thought the knock on Gilmore was always his insistence on run blocking.

da skers, is this the kind of offense that was run at Kansas?

sorry could have used a more common word in that sentence, my bad!

its nothing to worry about, its the basic premise of football. a receivers job is to get open and that is what they are being taught. before it didnt matter if they were getting open so much as it mattered that they were running perfect routes and basically if there was a defender at the end of their route they werent taught how to get around said defender.

we arent talking about the qb doing his job, we are talking about the receivers doing theirs. they just have to hope that the qb can uphold his end of the bargain.

Honestly I am quite disappointed in Watson. For a scheme as complex as his, every player should have been learning the offense, knowing what's going on with his teammates on the field pre- and post-snap.

I sent you a PM that hopefully helps in the understanding of what Beck is doing with the receivers a bit.

I sent you a PM that hopefully helps in the understanding of what Beck is doing with the receivers a bit.

Mind passing that on? :)

Mind passing that on? :)

:yeah