Pony Excess

Watched ESPN 30 for 30 on SMU called Pony Excess. I am sure many of you have watched and it is a good show in reviewing what went on there on the death penalty. The only issue that I have with it is that, right at the end, they show clips of coaches and have snippets of commentary about rules violations. They show Alabama coach Nick Saban and Bama has had major violations, albeit not with Saban, but major nonetheless. They show Bowden and he had problems with the NCAA. Then the show T.O. holding up the trophy after NU won down in the Fiesta against Florida. That was possibly the best team at Nebraska, if not in CFB overall. By including the clip, ESPN is saying, IMO, that Nebraska must have cheated to be that good.

That just pisses me off.

Nice snipe job ESPN. I am sure it was totally unintentional :sarcasm

Watched ESPN 30 for 30 on SMU called Pony Excess. I am sure many of you have watched and it is a good show in reviewing what went on there on the death penalty. The only issue that I have with it is that, right at the end, they show clips of coaches and have snippets of commentary about rules violations. They show Alabama coach Nick Saban and Bama has had major violations, albeit not with Saban, but major nonetheless. They show Bowden and he had problems with the NCAA. Then the show T.O. holding up the trophy after NU won down in the Fiesta against Florida. That was possibly the best team at Nebraska, if not in CFB overall. By including the clip, ESPN is saying, IMO, that Nebraska must have cheated to be that good.

That just pisses me off.

Nice snipe job ESPN. I am sure it was totally unintentional :sarcasm

They might have been referring to the LP situation, even though I don't believe that had anything to do with the NCAA and was purely a Nebraska issue to deal with.

Other than that I can't think of anything, unless Herbstreit was a co-producer of the show. chuckleshuffle

Isn't it pretty common knowledge that there were players using steroids during the 90's? I would venture to guess 70-80% of D1 schools have players who commit "major" infractions - its just a matter of who gets caught.

I would venture a guess that every program had somebody juicing at some point.

Isn't it pretty common knowledge that there were players using steroids during the 90's? I would venture to guess 70-80% of D1 schools have players who commit "major" infractions - its just a matter of who gets caught.

Maybe in the early 80's but Nebraska instituted steroid testing around the mid 80's to prove they werent using. Former UCLA (Terry Donahue) head coach always tried to imply that's how Nebraska was tremondous running the ball without actually coming out and saying it.

Maybe in the early 80's but Nebraska instituted steroid testing around the mid 80's to prove they werent using. Former UCLA (Terry Donahue) head coach always tried to imply that's how Nebraska was tremondous running the ball without actually coming out and saying it.

Right. It was after Steinkuhler and Rimington and all those freaks from the early 80's teams that everyone started accusing us of steroid use. We might have been using steroids, but our main advantage at the time was that our weight training program was years ahead of everyone else in the nation.

My guess is that ESPN showed the clip of Osborne because of the LP controversy. That 95 team had a bad rep, multiple players arrested, but I think that LP was the only case where the charges stuck.

Right. It was after Steinkuhler and Rimington and all those freaks from the early 80's teams that everyone started accusing us of steroid use. We might have been using steroids, but our main advantage at the time was that our weight training program was years ahead of everyone else in the nation.

My guess is that ESPN showed the clip of Osborne because of the LP controversy. That 95 team had a bad rep, multiple players arrested, but I think that LP was the only case where the charges stuck.

Didn't Barry Switzer say one time that Nebraska and Oklahoma were probably the only two schools that knew what steriods were, or something to that effect.

Yes, our strenth and conditioning program was light years ahead of everyone in the country. That's why we were whooping up on NFL caliber loaded teams with a lot of walk on country boys. I also think that that advantage spilled over to other sports such as mens basketball. Nebraska basketball had pretty much it's most successful run at the same time the football program did. By 2000, everyone was catching up in that category and it started to show. As far as the Lawrence Phillips incident, everyone knows we didnt need him for another down that season to be successful, and to say otherwise is just kidding yourself. Lawrence held his end of an ulitmatum and he was rewarded. It show how much honor Osborne has if you actually know the real story.

• Fire 1