Talented QBs await shot at Blackshirts

how much do you think that bo changing his defensive scheme this year will affect how we play against the pass? last year our main goal was defending the pass since we were in a pass heavy conference, but in the big ten you almost have to sell out to defend the run, and that usually means that the dbacks will cheat up and then get beat. i know that bo will have the guys ready to play, but idk if he can run as complex defensive coverage schemes playing a true 4-3 instead of the peso

I think it's a little naive to assume that it won't affect things at least a little bit like others have suggested. It's going to be a little different having a guy that isn't as athletic as Hagg in there every play. The Peso won't go away and may be used extensively against teams like Michigan and Northwestern, but it definitely won't be seen as often.

That said, Nebraska isn't the only program that ran what we ran last year - we just had a special name for it and used it more exclusively than other schools. Not much is going to change this year except we won't have the versatility that Hagg brought us. I still feel like our defensive line and defensive back field aren't going to feel much has changed.

I don't think any offense in the Big10 this year comes anywhere close to last year's Okie St. Missouri & Oklahoma were no slouches either. The blackshirts will shut down the Big10.

Now, if our offense........

If you go back and look at points per game and total yards per game for offenses last year, there were just as many Big 10 schools in the Top 25 as there were Big 12 schools. The Big 10 isn't as defensive minded and lacking in offense as some may believe.

how much do you think that bo changing his defensive scheme this year will affect how we play against the pass? last year our main goal was defending the pass since we were in a pass heavy conference, but in the big ten you almost have to sell out to defend the run, and that usually means that the dbacks will cheat up and then get beat. i know that bo will have the guys ready to play, but idk if he can run as complex defensive coverage schemes playing a true 4-3 instead of the peso

I highly doubt NU will be running anything that could be called a true 4-3 next year. Unless someone steps up big over the summer, the lack depth at LB makes that pretty unlikely. Besides that would be rather uncharacteristic of a Pelini lead defense IYAM.

I don't doubt at all is that Bo will be running a complex scheme in the Big10. Why? Because underneath it all, Bo's a complex man.....

9f278bcd-bc0b-4362-b67e-8b0a5313dcba.jpg

I don't think any offense in the Big10 this year comes anywhere close to last year's Okie St. Missouri & Oklahoma were no slouches either. The blackshirts will shut down the Big10.

Well I hope not, because our defense gave up a ton of points and yards to Okie State last year. Bad example.

That said, Nebraska isn't the only program that ran what we ran last year - we just had a special name for it and used it more exclusively than other schools. Not much is going to change this year except we won't have the versatility that Hagg brought us. I still feel like our defensive line and defensive back field aren't going to feel much has changed.

While this is partially true, I would bet a large amount of money that a large amount of our schemes and techniques are pretty unique...the Pelini brothers are straight up nerds when it comes to defense, and their knowledge of it is light years ahead of almost anyone else out there.

I highly doubt NU will be running anything that could be called a true 4-3 next year. Unless someone steps up big over the summer, the lack depth at LB makes that pretty unlikely. Besides that would be rather uncharacteristic of a Pelini lead defense IYAM.

I don't doubt at all is that Bo will be running a complex scheme in the Big10. Why? Because underneath it all, Bo's a complex man.....

Agreed.

Is the depth at linebacker better or worse than the depth in the secondary?...Could be a wash, and I know that may sound surprising. But at least top end, Fisher, Compton, and David could be a solid starting trio (projecting development/return from injury a bit). We don't even know who our #2 corner is, much less the nickel and dime guys. I think we'll run a 4-3. can't see the nickel/dime being worth taking a starting LB off the field for as a base package. That and I believe coaches are saying we will run 4-3 (then again, same last year; it was Fisher's injury that changed things).

If various young players emerge, things could change. But that probably happens over the course of the season.

Well I hope not, because our defense gave up a ton of points and yards to Okie State last year. Bad example.

The 1st half wasn't so pretty, but OSU got shut down in the 2nd half.

Landlord must have somehow skipped over where I stated no 2011 Big10 offense we face will be anywhere close to 2010's Okie State (the nation's 3rd ranked total offense). So as we don't play them next year no problem. Duh...

He then says it's a bad example. :facepalm:

Is the depth at linebacker better or worse than the depth in the secondary?...Could be a wash, and I know that may sound surprising. But at least top end, Fisher, Compton, and David could be a solid starting trio (projecting development/return from injury a bit). We don't even know who our #2 corner is, much less the nickel and dime guys. I think we'll run a 4-3. can't see the nickel/dime being worth taking a starting LB off the field for as a base package. That and I believe coaches are saying we will run 4-3 (then again, same last year; it was Fisher's injury that changed things).

If various young players emerge, things could change. But that probably happens over the course of the season.

That's a good point Zoogies. I guess I've had it entrenched in my head that we have vast depth in the secondary, and have seemed to be perpetually (for the last handful of years, anyway) thin at LB. If we say that Dennard and David are equally talented (debatable, all the way around meaning you could argue for BOTH Dennard or David as superior, I'd take Fonz if I had to...maybe...) then we start looking at Compton and Fischer, Osborne...probably Cassidy...and Ciante Evans, perhaps?

I thought Evans looked strong last year. He looked like a grown man as a true freshman, so you have to assume he'll grow even a little more. Osborne really impressed me when he relieved a somewhat disappointing, though young, PJ Smith. Cassidy is a dependable safety, even if he lacks elite level athleticism.

For me, this question comes down to potential vs. performance. I've seen Osborne perform at an encouragingly competent level. His hit on Gabbert is my second favorite stick on a Tiger in recent memory. (Guess which is first.) I feel confident with Cassidy in the lineup...he doesn't seem to blow many if any assignments back there. (In my very un-expert opinion, anyhow.) Fonz is proven. Evans sure looks (to me) like he could potentially be our next elite CB. So with our secondary, we have tangible performance we can site. This is not quite the case with our LB's.

In my eyes we have one proven commodity in the middle with the exceptionally quick and instinctive David, one player we can reasonably expect to play adequately to perhaps better than average in Compton, who has been hindered by injuries and thus cannot be judged with 100% accuracy off of past performance (although, what is ever 100% except for the certainty of death and the fact that any woman will be disappointed when I take my pants off?) and then another injury casualty, Fisher.

I think Compton can be a steady B1G LB if he can put together a (relatively) injury free year. (At the end of the year, no one is really "injury free.") The one guy I think we need to make a leap in performance, maybe more than any other NU defender, is Fischer. He has the measurables. But I've heard (totally unsubstantiated) rumors that Sean leaves a little to be desired in the work ethic department. Take that with a grain of salt, but Fischer has not blown me away with his play on the field up to this point. Again, injuries have restricted his experience and thus his development, but I'd like to see Sean live up to what we all thought he could be when we first saw that big frame wearing the helmet with the N on it as a freshman. If Fischer can be a revelation this year, with a healthy Compton, we can be pretty damn salty.

In summation (damn...pare it down Finnegan’s Wake!) I like our secondary better as we sit here today. I've got a lot of faith in Evans...maybe more than I should considering he might not even start opposite of Fonz. But we've seen those guys perform in game action. The LB corps has some potential...but let's see it on the field. But if Fischer or Compton or, disaster, David goes down, who replaces them? The secondary has guys like PJ Smith and Corey Cooper and Charles Jackson and Daimion Stafford waiting in the wings. The LB pool is considerably more shallow, from this vantage point.

Landlord must have somehow skipped over where I stated no 2011 Big10 offense we face will be anywhere close to 2010's Okie State (the nation's 3rd ranked total offense). So as we don't play them next year no problem. Duh...

He then says it's a bad example. :facepalm:

No, I got it just fine...that's why I prefaced my statement by saying "Well I hope not..." as in, "Well, I hope you're right about that, because if they are anywhere close to that, we might be in a whole lot of trouble, seeing how we had a fairly mediocre performance against Okie State.".

Wyoming's QB situation is pretty bleak. I've seen some people calling for Christensen's head already.

Now things have gone from bad to worse as fellow signal-caller Emory Miller Jr. has also decided to leave Laramie following spring practice. "Personal reasons" were the only factor cited by the Laramie Boomerang, and Christensen declined to comment other than to wish Miller luck at his next destination.

Miller's and Canta-Samuel's decisions leave Christensen in a gigantic bind at the quarterback position. The Cowboys are down to just two scholarship quarterbacks on their projected 2011 roster: Brett Smith and Adam Pittser. But there's an even bigger problem than the numbers, as both Smith and Pittser are true freshmen straight from the Cowboys' 2011 recruiting class.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/30004562

:bonesflag:

Bo is at the helm of the USS Huskers and will set sail this season in shark infested waters. To bad we could not face the great "WOG" Pryor at Ohio State, he would of been on the quarterback grave yard list of the blackshirts. Yeah, their are plenty of quarterbacks left over to put on this list this season, matey!

Our offense will be fine!

:bonesflag: