SIGNED TE/DE Sam Cotton

Ben has done quite well, I think. At least, he's a starter.

I had a lot of questions about Jake, a guy we were literally competing against no Div1 schools that I can recall, so this does seem like a case where the family name has a lot to do with the offer. But that said, it also seems like there's a good chance each and every one of these boys are gonna earn it. Can't argue with that.

Jake's case was peculiar because he had an absolutely freakish growthspurt following his junior season, it totally changed how he projected. Plus he didn't do the camp circuit the following summer to garner interest like somebody not named Cotton would've done. He was an unknown quantity. Ohio was planning to take him if we didn't offer, who else would've offered is hard to say. From reports of those in the know he's looking pretty salty, projects to be in the two-deep this Fall and should eventually be a starter.

As far as Sam goes we'll see what happens. He is a 3* on rivals so he isn't exactly an unknown. I'd have taken Shoff first out of the locals. Helps that he has multiple position possibilities. Like his family should be a big boy when all is said and done, I'd bet he ends-up at DE.

A little surprised by some of the reactions on this site and others. With the production and upside of his older brothers, we should be nothing but happy with Sam's commitment. Ben is the best blocking TE on the team and Jake is being talked as a potential starter on the line this year. In the least, we know he will work his tail off which is good for every player on the team.

I, for one, welcome Sam with open arms!

:bigredn: !

• Fire 4

we have seen this before and we all knew he was gonna get an offer... just seems obvious.... whether we like it or not we knew it was coming...

nobody would be shocked when the bosses son comes to work for his dad at the company so why we shocked here.....

i dont really like it but nothing we can do

IDK anything about him, so I won't comment on whether he was deserving of an offer or not... but... Maybe the coaches feel comfortable taking the Cotton boys because they know what they are going to get out of them. Kind of like a security blanket, even if they aren't the best in the nation, its nice knowing you can count on them to do their part.

Also, would it be any kind of NCAA infraction if Barney were to pay for their schooling? If Barney were ever given a raise or bonus during their time here I could see that potentially becoming a problem. IDK, just a though...

A little surprised by some of the reactions on this site and others. With the production and upside of his older brothers, we should be nothing but happy with Sam's commitment. Ben is the best blocking TE on the team and Jake is being talked as a potential starter on the line this year. In the least, we know he will work his tail off which is good for every player on the team.

I, for one, welcome Sam with open arms!

:bigredn: !

yup. so far we appear to be two for two with the cotton kids. ben is a damn fine TE, an excellent perimeter blocker with good hands, and jake looked like he might have been our best lineman in the spring game. i know it's popular to hate on all things cotton and claim nepotism, but the early returns show that the coaches were right on jake and i'm guessing they'll be right on sam as well.

also, i have to wonder whether we're taking him as a TE or a DE.

However, this probably fills one of the 2 TEs we wanted for this class, and maybe that's the biggest reason of all for why he got his scholly. We are very low in depth at that position, and maybe the coaches felt we weren't going to be the final choice for nearly the rest of the TEs on our board.

I think corncraze has an important point, so I'm putting up there again. Key: we need two TE's. There's really no reason not to take a TE in your backyard if you need 2.

I think that losing out on the transfer TE (can't remember his name) also plays a significant role in this.

However, this probably fills one of the 2 TEs we wanted for this class, and maybe that's the biggest reason of all for why he got his scholly. We are very low in depth at that position, and maybe the coaches felt we weren't going to be the final choice for nearly the rest of the TEs on our board.

I think corncraze has an important point, so I'm putting up there again. Key: we need two TE's. There's really no reason not to take a TE in your backyard if you need 2.

I think that losing out on the transfer TE (can't remember his name) also plays a significant role in this.

Chase Harper.

Chase Harper.

him, too, but i assume he was referring to mitchell's recently discovered academic snag. having just had sam on campus to see him in camp probably played a large role in the timing of the offer as well.

With Kourtzidis commiting to FSU and the grade issue with the Juco, Cotton got his chance to move into the offer list. I thinking the same thing may happen with Shoff eventually.

I think this will turn out to be a solid pickup. While we are signing a small class and there's lots of time less, I would feel a little more comfortable if we had better a half dozen players in the fold going into the fall.

With Kourtzidis commiting to FSU and the grade issue with the Juco, Cotton got his chance to move into the offer list. I thinking the same thing may happen with Shoff eventually.

I think this will turn out to be a solid pickup. While we are signing a small class and there's lots of time less, I would feel a little more comfortable if we had better a half dozen players in the fold going into the fall.

I think we've still got time. I'm guessing we'll have 3-4 more by the time fall rolls around. Keep in mind though that we'll be able to bring in a lot of big name kids to some of those home games, like tOSU. Altough that's lost a little luster. Let's hope we're both undefeated at that point.