SIGNED TE/DE Sam Cotton

Nice to see a probable TE commit. Agreed with corncraze and have said this class needs two TEs. Hopefully this will play out much like Ben has here at NU. As many others have said, Ben and Jake both have said Sam is the best athlete out of the bunch. As fa as Jake, show me this "best lineman this spring" thing on Saturdays this fall and I'll join that movement. We as fans hve seen too many players have great springs only to never be heard from again.

My only thought over the whole deal, is wouldn't Sam have always been there? Was the life preserve thrown out early in this case? Again not going to go through the whole Cotton debate(ad nausea). Just thinking to myself aloud.

But kudos to Sam. And Welcome!!

to clarify, i didn't claim that jake was our best lineman this spring, just that he may have been the best i personally saw in the spring game. good frame/size and active. nice to see a lineman that looks athletic without a big old belly, too. barring injury, he will either start this fall or be a top back-up. not bad for a redshirt frosh that was practicing on defense last fall.

I think Sam is a good pick up. Based on who we have left on the board...

**** Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick (California)

**** Kent Taylor (Florida)

*** Sean Price (Florida)

*** Jonathan Curry (Alabama)

*** Sam Cotton (Nebraska)

*** Orlando David (Florida)

Jalen Cope Fitzpatrick, Kent Taylor, and Sean Price will most likely stay in a coastal state either SEC or Pac 10.

Curry is high on the two in state teams... guess who.

That leaves us with a realistic shot at Orlando David and Sam Cotton.

John Papuchis was recently interviewed on the recruiting process and stated that their process is to offer a certain number of players... then if one they have offered commits then they look into whether or not they need to offer someone else based on what they see the other guys on their board doing... in other words... if a guy with an offer commits elsewhere, do we think we have a good shot at the others on the board to the point where we dont need to go after someone else or do we need to go after someone else.

In the past week Christo Kourtzidis committed to Florida State and we found out Terrell Mitchell would not make his grades... that took 2 guys off the board. We offered 1 new guy (Sam)... meaning we have a really good shot at a couple guys left on that board. I see us ending up with Orlando David and Sam in the end as our two tight ends.

With David Sutton and Eddie Ridder as 2011 freshmen. And Sam Cotton and another guy as 2012 freshmen, not to mention any walkons... that leaves us with 4-6 young guys at the TE position. We are going to be well off at this position. And I fully expect us to look into possibly taking a JUCO guy in the 2013 class who can come in and make an immediate impact after Cotton and Reed leave.

I take issue with this commit for a couple reasons ..

We have low scholarship numbers in this class. We are likely looking at less than 15 recruits in this class total, so why are we in a rush to offer a kid from Nebraska who would take an offer regardless of when we offered it? If it is based off of what we saw in camp, then with Drew Ott being more impressive than Sam Cotton during camp, why is Drew without an offer?

My biggest gripe - Sam can come to UNL regardless of an athletic scholarship. With his father as an employee of the university, he can attend school, play football, and pay next to nothing in tuition costs. This goes back to my original point - with our limited scholarship numbers in this class, why are we not taking full advantage of the fact his father is an employee and Sam can get through school at basically no cost to the family? It's win-win for the football team, and for the Cotton family.

And for the person who mentioned Mike Shoff - he isn't getting an offer anytime soon unless he has an absolutely amazing senior season. Very unimpressive at camp. Drew Ott is the next in-state kid in line for an offer, if/when we hand out one.

Sam cannot go to UNL with reduced tuition, and play for the football team.. he'd be at full price

at least that is my understanding.

Not true at all. As long as the parent has been a longstanding employee of a university, the child is free to play sports and receive the reduced tuition costs.

Sam cannot go to UNL with reduced tuition, and play for the football team.. he'd be at full price

Not true at all. As long as the parent has been a longstanding employee of a university, the child is free to play sports and receive the reduced tuition costs.

Longstanding equals 5 years, so in Barney's 6th year, starting in 2013 I think we could technically flip Jake and Sam over to walk-ons assuming Barney is still here. Obviously Ben will have graduated by then.

We have low scholarship numbers in this class. We are likely looking at less than 15 recruits in this class total, so why are we in a rush to offer a kid from Nebraska who would take an offer regardless of when we offered it? If it is based off of what we saw in camp, then with Drew Ott being more impressive than Sam Cotton during camp, why is Drew without an offer?

My biggest gripe - Sam can come to UNL regardless of an athletic scholarship. With his father as an employee of the university, he can attend school, play football, and pay next to nothing in tuition costs. This goes back to my original point - with our limited scholarship numbers in this class, why are we not taking full advantage of the fact his father is an employee and Sam can get through school at basically no cost to the family? It's win-win for the football team, and for the Cotton family.

And for the person who mentioned Mike Shoff - he isn't getting an offer anytime soon unless he has an absolutely amazing senior season. Very unimpressive at camp. Drew Ott is the next in-state kid in line for an offer, if/when we hand out one.

Ott to Iowa as of this evening, obviously a reaction to Cotton.

Agreed with Paulie Crew. He would have committed in November the same as he would have in June. Why offer now?

My guess - a lull on the recruiting front, and a guaranteed commitment that would make it look like recruiting is still moving along, when in reality that may or may not be the case.

ok, thanks.

Agreed with Paulie Crew. He would have committed in November the same as he would have in June. Why offer now?

My guess - a lull on the recruiting front, and a guaranteed commitment that would make it look like recruiting is still moving along, when in reality that may or may not be the case.

i find it hard to believe that our coaches would take a commitment just for public perception. as to the timing, the kid was just in camp, we just lost a couple of other TE prospects. not exactly rocket science.

and just because he would have waited on an offer, why would we wait to give one if we think he's good enough?

BigWillie . . . I very well could be wrong and you probably know better than I do but I think that he would count against the 85 scholarships no matter how they categorized it. I know that you can't get around the limit by giving a star QB an "academic" scholarship . . . it still counts against the total if they are playing football no matter where you say the money is coming from.

(If I'm wrong, imagine the fun that the SEC schools could have with that kind of loophole!)