New Gloves

Kinda surprised so many people are taking issue with this. Those blackshirt gloves are amazing.

Meh, every school seems to have something like this now. This isn't anything special, imo.... I don't hate them, I'm just not overly-impressed or excited to see them.

If I see more gloves than Bones this year I'll be very mad.

You very likely will considering that throwing the bones is now illegal.

Technically those are HUSKER cheerleaders so in trying to prove a point you proved Brogans point. Just because they aren't football players doesn't mean they aren't huskers

So if we put the Blackshirt gloves on them, would that make them Blackshirts?

No it wouldn't no one is saying that giving all defenders the gloves makes them all blackshirts we're saying that it cheapens the tradition by letting all the defenders represent the blackshirts with the gloves ON THE FIELD without earning a real blackshirt. If you can't or don't want to see our opinion and actually stop and think about it instead of wanting to argue

But the players don't wear blackshirts during games.......

Right, and now that they have something that could distinguish them from the rest every defender gets to wear them. Why can't the non blackshirts wear the N gloves (which in my opinion are cooler anyway)

In all honesty, The Blackshirt tradition isn't really all that well known or revered outside of Nebraska (and fans), so really, even if there were a fundamental flaw in the philosophy of giving out Blackshirt gloves, it doesn't matter. Nobody cares, besides us, for some reason.

Besides, the real Blackshirts know that you aren't supposed to act like a little girl putting your hands together to show off an image, it's all about throwing the bones.

No it wouldn't no one is saying that giving all defenders the gloves makes them all blackshirts we're saying that it cheapens the tradition by letting all the defenders represent the blackshirts with the gloves ON THE FIELD without earning a real blackshirt. If you can't or don't want to see our opinion and actually stop and think about it instead of wanting to argue

I would offer you the same advice. Don't just argue your point, but actually read what I'm saying. The players you're talking about will not think they are Blackshirts because of these gloves. They know what a Blackshirt is, and they know whether they've earned one or not.

As I've said several times, the logo on these gloves is a marketing tool, not an actual Blackshirt. Putting this logo on these gloves doesn't cheapen the tradition of the Blackshirts any more than putting it on a kite does.

No they don't think that, but people who are not familiar with the tradition will. Younger fans, unfamiliar fans, some other fans of the Big Ten. We've all heard how ridiculous some announcers are when they talk about "traditions", next thing you know Ed Cunningham or some douche is referring to all Husker defenders as Blackshirts. People bitch about having any black in the uniforms, having a b*******, adding piping or changing the uniforms in anyway, changing any traditions whatsoever, but you're a-ok with this?

If it's marketing, at least market it in a way that represents the tradition.

I would offer you the same advice. Don't just argue your point, but actually read what I'm saying. The players you're talking about will not think they are Blackshirts because of these gloves. They know what a Blackshirt is, and they know whether they've earned one or not.

As I've said several times, the logo on these gloves is a marketing tool, not an actual Blackshirt. Putting this logo on these gloves doesn't cheapen the tradition of the Blackshirts any more than putting it on a kite does.

No they don't think that, but people who are not familiar with the tradition will. Younger fans, unfamiliar fans, other people in the Big Ten. We've all heard how ridiculous some announcers are when they talk about "traditions", next thing you know Ed Cunningham or some douche is referring to all Husker defenders as Blackshirts. People bitch about having any black in the uniforms, having a b*******, adding piping or changing the uniforms in anyway, changing any traditions whatsoever, but you're a-ok with this?

Honestly, while I think the N gloves are cool, I'd prefer to keep the gray gloves we've worn the last few years. I think this is gimmicky, and overall I'm not a fan of either glove as part of the uniform.

But if you were to buy me a pair of those N gloves for Christmas, it's entirely possible I would wear them. :D

No they don't think that, but people who are not familiar with the tradition will. Younger fans, unfamiliar fans, other people in the Big Ten. We've all heard how ridiculous some announcers are when they talk about "traditions", next thing you know Ed Cunningham or some douche is referring to all Husker defenders as Blackshirts. People bitch about having any black in the uniforms, having a b*******, adding piping or changing the uniforms in anyway, changing any traditions whatsoever, but you're a-ok with this?

Honestly, while I think the N gloves are cool, I'd prefer to keep the gray gloves we've worn the last few years. I think this is gimmicky, and overall I'm not a fan of either glove as part of the uniform.

But if you were to buy me a pair of those N gloves for Christmas, it's entirely possible I would wear them. :D

I prefer the plainer gloves too. I might end up buying the N gloves for batting gloves though, haha. Or just to have for the Husker room.

Some of you are taking this glove thing way to far. It's a glove. The material, thats the best for footballs. The design, you'll rarely see the inside of them. Honestly things like this are huge for recruiting. See Oregon. When I was still on high school we always said LGPG, look good play good, yes lame but like it or not the fact that a player feels like they are looking fresh on the field can give them more confidence mentally. I know some of the old plugs that walked uphill both ways will disagree, but it really can play a factor.

Some of you are taking this glove thing way to far. It's a glove. The material, thats the best for footballs. The design, you'll rarely see the inside of them. Honestly things like this are huge for recruiting. See Oregon. When I was still on high school we always said LGPG, look good play good, yes lame but like it or not the fact that a player feels like they are looking fresh on the field can give them more confidence mentally. I know some of the old plugs that walked uphill both ways will disagree, but it really can play a factor.

We said the same thing. I love that we are getting a little flashy but not over the top i.e. Oregon, Oklahoma State, I just wish it was only the blackshirts that wore the blackshirts gloves but im beating a dead horse

So... they shouldn't be called Blackshirts, but they should be able to be branded Blackshirts? Your crap about logos is ridiculous. There are N logos everywhere, the skinny N logos everywhere, but when you wear it on the field, you're a Husker. It's about ON THE FIELD. All the players are Huskers, not all of them are Blackshirts.

Anyone can buy a star pin. But if a private puts four star pins on his lapel it's disrespecting the history of the Army and/or generals.

All Blackshirts are Huskers, not all Huskers are Blackshirts. All Blackshirts are Husker defenders (aside from the occasional punter/kicker), but not all Husker defenders are Blackshirts.

Anyone can wear the logo off the field, but if the logo THAT REPRESENTS THE BLACKSHIRTS is now going to be on the field, I would think you should have to earn it. Why say "Hey, you're not a Blackshirt, but we'll let you be marked as such." I was just asking to begin with, and then explaining my view. I'm not saying that it's going to be one way or the other. If it is the whole defense though, I feel it cheapens the honor of being/earning a Blackshirt.

OH, and just because you think differently than someone else, doesn't mean you have to attack their intelligence. I know what a damn Blackshirt is, and I know what a logo is. Not everyone besides you is stupid. I'd like to think I'm the antithesis of stupid.

I didn't call anyone stupid, or attack anyone's intelligence. Calm down.

Again, the logo that you're talking about is a marketing tool. It represents the Blackshirts on merchandise, not on the field. On the field, the ONLY thing that represents the Blackshirts are the actual factual black jerseys in the pic I posted.

But to show you that your premise is incorrect, you're saying that these are Huskers because they wear the N on the field:

takingthefield.jpg

And that anyone wearing the N on the field is a Husker. To directly quote you, "...when you wear it on the field, you're a Husker. It's about ON THE FIELD."

By that logic, these are also Huskers:

nucheer.jpg

These girls are "on the field," and they are wearing the N. But of course they're not Huskers, they're cheerleaders. Nobody thinks that because they are wearing an N tattoo (which the University sells licensing rights to, by the way), that they suddenly become Huskers.

There is a huge difference between what the actual tradition is and what the University markets to make money.

On a side-note, I went to high school with the one on the left. She also climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with Joel Makovicka.

Damn people, chill out. If anyone the defense that are actually Blackshirts have a problem with it, don't you think they would be tweeting and FBing it instead of showing them off?

Also I don't think half the NU non-fans barely knows what a blackshirt is let alone know what the tradition is.