QB depth

Ok, I have read this thread, I have a honest question here. I have seen where you all have talked about many aspects of having a QB run with it and am very impressed at the level of the convo. Things have been talked about such as SC program, arm strength, accuracy and so on.

With that said it would seem to me that what you all are saying is his speed is by far his greatest strength. That would bring up the question, just how fast is he? I mean if he is faster than 99.5% of the kids playing defensive D1 ball, then he is fast. If he is faster than only 80% he is fast but catchable. If he is faster than only 50%, well you get the idea. I also wonder how that works in that type of set up. So if T-mart goes down and #2 steps in, is he just as fast or does he have a better arm and you have to switch up the O to suit whatever Qb is playing?

Gotta stop typing as my opinions are wanting to come out now, and I just want your thoughts on the above questions.

Take a look for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gPe211xAh4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As for the backup, he isn't as fast as Martinez, but he seems to be a better runner than our backups last year. So I think changing the O to suit the backup will be less of an issue than last year.

You see Hujan, rumors are simply just rumors until they are proved to be true. That's how, ya know, logic works.

Your statement is circular and makes no sense. A rumor is an unverified account. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people insist on waiting for complete confirmation before they believe something; others are content to make a decision based on the information available, even if there is no absolute confirmation of that fact.

I suppose you believe Osama bin Laden is still alive?

No, I don't. His death has been confirmed. That has nothing to do with this.

If you're going to claim something about Taylor Matinez, the burden of proof lies on your shouders. You can't say "it hasn't been disproved, therefore it's true". Doesn't work that way. That's a logical fallacy.

But I can say, "It hasn't been disproved, therefore I believe it." Or, "It hasn't been disproved, therefore it may be true."

You can't prove that Martinez IS a leader/humble/etc. either. Hence, until one or the other is proven, people are free to draw either conclusion.

A rumor doesn't become accurate the moment it is confirmed; the confirmation just shows that the rumor was accurate all along.

Anyway, we are talking in circles on this. I hear where you guys are coming from and see why you might draw the conclusions you do. Obviously, I also think there has been enough "smoke" to believe that there might be some "fire" to the idea that Martinez's character ain't exactly ideal. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

You see Hujan, rumors are simply just rumors until they are proved to be true. That's how, ya know, logic works.

Your statement is circular and makes no sense. A rumor is an unverified account. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people insist on waiting for complete confirmation before they believe something; others are content to make a decision based on the information available, even if there is no absolute confirmation of that fact.

If you're going to claim something about Taylor Matinez, the burden of proof lies on your shouders. You can't say "it hasn't been disproved, therefore it's true". Doesn't work that way. That's a logical fallacy.

But I can say, "It hasn't been disproved, therefore I believe it." Or, "It hasn't been disproved, therefore it may be true."

Sure you can. But as Knapplc said, don't act surprised when people don't take you seriously. I heard a rumor that you wear a pink tutu and play tea party with stuffed animals Hujan. It hasn't been disproved, therefore I believe it.

You can't prove that Martinez IS a leader/humble/etc. either. Hence, until one or the other is proven, people are free to draw either conclusion.

I don't care too.

A rumor doesn't become accurate the moment it is confirmed; the confirmation just shows that the rumor was accurate all along.

K.

Anyway, we are talking in circles on this. I hear where you guys are coming from and see why you might draw the conclusions you do. Obviously, I also think there has been enough "smoke" to believe that there might be some "fire" to the idea that Martinez's character ain't exactly ideal. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Anyone hear the rumor about Hujan wearing pink tutus? You know what they say, "where there's smoke..."

I can also say that everything in the universe was created by the flying spaghetti monster, and it hasn't been disproved. I'd be an idiot, but by your logic, correct.

That makes me wonder how much of the Martinez dislike simply comes from the fact that he's not a pro-style QB, which makes me wonder how many people over the age of, say, 30 have these same concerns. It would seem that those of us old enough to vividly remember the 80s and 90s are more likely to be unconcerned with such things, having seen a number of run-first QBs succeed.

The funny thing is, the same biases against run-first quarterbacks that were being exhibited by the pundits in the 90s exist today, and just like the 90s, they are completely misplaced in college football. Run-first QBs can succeed today, just like they could then.

The most successful class in college football history, the Huskers who went 60-3 in their five-year careers, came from a run-first offensive philosophy. And they did it in an era where it was "impossible" to succeed doing it that way.

I think that's a very, very good point.

The old geezers like me don't overly worry about Tmart's passing qualities because we've seen NU for decades crush opponents like bugs with qbs like Crouch, Frazier, Frost, etc who were all at best marginal pocket passers. Actually "very" marginal. Their passing stats while small were efficient due to them only having to hit wide-open wrs on PA that simply didn't require a Joe Montana. Oh boy, they were WIDE open so frequently. Yeah, Tmart isn't going to be a D. Marino but can he pass the ball as well as those guys? No sweat.....

The younger posters haven't seen those offenses steamroll opponents into dust and so of course go what they've seen in the Callahan & SW years (last seven years). For that they're perfectly correct that a good pocket passer is essential to success and a Tmart would be hopeless. Again, for the WCO or something similar they're probably on the money.

No one knows what kind of offense we'll run but by all indications we'll be a run-first scheme that hangs our hat on being able to do just that. "If" that's true, a good pocket passer like Z. Taylor just couldn't hack it. But if not, he could excel.

I really think that's a major pivot point that we all argue about our qbs strengths or downfalls.. Heh, as we don't really know for sure what we're gonna run it's probable none of us will change our minds. :corndance

GBR!!

I agree ...... being bad a** runners set up the pass when it was needed, I think we saw this when health T-mart was playing in the 1st part of the season. If he is healthy I want to see more of him. The injury happened just as thing got tough so I don't know what to think, he needed a full healthy season so we could evaluate him. Lets hope this is the year. If he had a strong back up he may have not played again last year it would ha ve been nice but instead we got to watch a QB come in hurt game in and game out trying to carry the offense. Next season we will learn one of three things 1) Injury Prone 2)Now that Defenses know he can't throw they can shut him down. 3)The OK State and 1st half Missery Martinez is what he really is........ We shall see.

I wasn't directing my post at you, Knap (though I think it's somewhat telling that you would assume it was). Truth be told, Saunders is, to me, the prototypical example of a "Martinez first, Nebraska second" type of fan. At least, that is the impression I get from his passionate defense of Martinez every time the topic is brought up. (Sorry, Saunders.)

This just proves that you don't even read anything that people post, and you just spew pointless drivel that suits whatever the hell your retarded agenda is. I want you to find a single post of mine where I specifically state that I want Taylor Martinez, and Taylor Martinez only, to start. You can't. Why? Because I've never said that. In fact, last year, I was for Lee starting, until the WKU game was in the books. If you actually read what I post, you'd see what I'm getting at. I have not attacked a single person for saying anything negative about Taylor's play on the field. I've attacked the horrible "evidence" or straight up lies that people have made up, and tried to pass as fact.

It's beyond ridiculous that I would even have to defend myself as well. All I've done is shoot down all the bullsh#t that some people (including you) are spreading on this, and other boards. It's funny, because when you guys are backed into a corner and proven wrong...you vanish. You continually say he's selfish, a terrible leader, a teamkiller, whatever, and when people ask you to prove this garbage, you bail, and start a new thread or start pooping all over another one. It's happened over, and over, and over, and over.

Frankly, I'm tired of it. Don't get all butthurt when someone calls you out and asks for evidence when you're trying to pass your entirely unsubstantiated opinion as fact.

Once again, for the 5,000 time. I want the best player to start (I can't believe I'm doing this again). But If your gonna make sh#t up, don't get pissed when you get called out.

:rant

Saunders, the fact that you resort to profanities and personal attacks is where I draw my sense that you are as much or more a fan of Martinez than of the team. You really seem to take it personally when someone criticizes him. Take your above post as evidence of that. Why the anger?

By the way, having an affinity for a player is not necessarily a bad thing that you would have to "defend" yourself against. It's not like being called a bigot. It is totally normal and to be expected. But it does make it difficult for you to be impartial and objective about their weaknesses. Frankly, I would have a hard time being impartial about Rex, I love the kid's attitude so much.

All of you guys swear up and down that you don't care who starts so long as they are the best, but many of you sure froth at the mouth when someone criticizes Martinez. It goes beyond having a calm, adult debate about a player and into personal attacks. I just don't get you guys.

Once again, you completely dodge the question, and try to strawman your way out of it. I haven't personally attacked you in any way. Don't try to spin this into a victim mentality issue. You have perpetuated things as fact that in reality, are sketchy at best. I'm not "frothing at the mouth" because of someone criticizing Martinez. I've done so myself. I've even called for him to lose his job if he doesn't improve. What I'm not going to stand for, is you passsing lies/rumors/innuendo as fact.

And once again,I want you to find a single post of mine where I specifically state that I want Taylor Martinez, and Taylor Martinez only, to start. By not doing so, you've proven my point. You have nothing to stand on, and are deflecting in order to save face.

Since you are so keen on having me read through your posts, why don't you go back to the one in which I named you. You'll note that I said that your favoritism of Martinez was my "IMPRESSION." An impression based on the ferocity with which you attack anyone who dares to criticize Martinez. An impression you are doing nothing to dispel with your posts in this thread. You might give lip service to the idea that you want the best man for the job, but the tone of your posts gives me some reason to wonder.

You, Herc, and Dude, have all made repeated statements in an attempt to disparage or ridicule me for simply expressing my reservations about Martinez. It has basically come down to, "You're an idiot, you have no reason to question Martinez, and shut your damn mouth unless you have case-closed proof he is not all that." Forgive me if your decision to cap off those comments with a token statement about how you just want the best guy for the job did not exactly dissuade my impression that you were partial to Martinez.

In any event, I certainly apologize if you are offended that I identified you as someone who was partial to Martinez. And, though I won't change my opinion, I also apologize if my concern that Martinez may have questionable character/leadership abilities/athletic abilities is also offensive to you. I'm really not sure there is much else to say.

Edit: I made this post before I saw the latest posts from you, Dude and Saunders. Thanks for just further proving my point by resorting to more personal attacks. Not exactly making this forum a fun place to chat about the team.

Edited by Hujan

I can also say that everything in the universe was created by the flying spaghetti monster, and it hasn't been disproved. I'd be an idiot, but by your logic, correct.

My pet Unicorn agrees.

I do have a pet Unicorn. Prove me wrong.

@Hujan - how do you disprove that someone is not a leader when you aren't in contact with them? Most of us take the word of someone we know and trust as surety that a thing is true. For example, I didn't believe in Canada for the longest time. People wearing hats called tooks, eating back bacon and saying "Don'tchaknooo?" all the time - like I'm going to believe that! But then a buddy of mine whom I trust implicitly said he'd actually been there - seen the place with his own eyes. What was I to do, doubt a man whose word I trust, who has no reason to lie to me? I had to believe him, Hujan. I had to.

Same goes for guys like Bo Pelini and Rex Burkhead. They've vouched for Taylor's maturity, growth and progress. I trust Rex Burkhead (and I know he's real - I've chatted with him!). So, knowing he's real, and that he vouched for Taylor, what else could I do?

My pet Unicorn believes, too.

I wasn't directing my post at you, Knap (though I think it's somewhat telling that you would assume it was). Truth be told, Saunders is, to me, the prototypical example of a "Martinez first, Nebraska second" type of fan. At least, that is the impression I get from his passionate defense of Martinez every time the topic is brought up. (Sorry, Saunders.)

This just proves that you don't even read anything that people post, and you just spew pointless drivel that suits whatever the hell your retarded agenda is. I want you to find a single post of mine where I specifically state that I want Taylor Martinez, and Taylor Martinez only, to start. You can't. Why? Because I've never said that. In fact, last year, I was for Lee starting, until the WKU game was in the books. If you actually read what I post, you'd see what I'm getting at. I have not attacked a single person for saying anything negative about Taylor's play on the field. I've attacked the horrible "evidence" or straight up lies that people have made up, and tried to pass as fact.

It's beyond ridiculous that I would even have to defend myself as well. All I've done is shoot down all the bullsh#t that some people (including you) are spreading on this, and other boards. It's funny, because when you guys are backed into a corner and proven wrong...you vanish. You continually say he's selfish, a terrible leader, a teamkiller, whatever, and when people ask you to prove this garbage, you bail, and start a new thread or start pooping all over another one. It's happened over, and over, and over, and over.

Frankly, I'm tired of it. Don't get all butthurt when someone calls you out and asks for evidence when you're trying to pass your entirely unsubstantiated opinion as fact.

Once again, for the 5,000 time. I want the best player to start (I can't believe I'm doing this again). But If your gonna make sh#t up, don't get pissed when you get called out.

:rant

Saunders, the fact that you resort to profanities and personal attacks is where I draw my sense that you are as much or more a fan of Martinez than of the team. You really seem to take it personally when someone criticizes him. Take your above post as evidence of that. Why the anger?

By the way, having an affinity for a player is not necessarily a bad thing that you would have to "defend" yourself against. It's not like being called a bigot. It is totally normal and to be expected. But it does make it difficult for you to be impartial and objective about their weaknesses. Frankly, I would have a hard time being impartial about Rex, I love the kid's attitude so much.

All of you guys swear up and down that you don't care who starts so long as they are the best, but many of you sure froth at the mouth when someone criticizes Martinez. It goes beyond having a calm, adult debate about a player and into personal attacks. I just don't get you guys.

Once again, you completely dodge the question, and try to strawman your way out of it. I haven't personally attacked you in any way. Don't try to spin this into a victim mentality issue. You have perpetuated things as fact that in reality, are sketchy at best. I'm not "frothing at the mouth" because of someone criticizing Martinez. I've done so myself. I've even called for him to lose his job if he doesn't improve. What I'm not going to stand for, is you passsing lies/rumors/innuendo as fact.

And once again,I want you to find a single post of mine where I specifically state that I want Taylor Martinez, and Taylor Martinez only, to start. By not doing so, you've proven my point. You have nothing to stand on, and are deflecting in order to save face.

Since you are so keen on having me read through your posts, why don't you go back to the one in which I named you. You'll note that I said that your favoritism of Martinez was my "IMPRESSION." An impression based on the ferocity with which you attack anyone who dares to criticize Martinez. An impression you are doing nothing to dispel with your posts in this thread. You might give lip service to the idea that you want the best man for the job, but the tone of your posts gives me some reason to wonder.

You, Herc, and Dude, have all made repeated statements in an attempt to disparage or ridicule me for simply expressing my reservations about Martinez. It has basically come down to, "You're an idiot, you have no reason to question Martinez, and shut your damn mouth unless you have case-closed proof he is not all that." Forgive me if your decision to cap off those comments with a token statement about how you just want the best guy for the job did not exactly dissuade my impression that you were partial to Martinez.

In any event, I certainly apologize if you are offended that I identified you as someone who was partial to Martinez. And, though I won't change my opinion, I also apologize if my concern that Martinez may have questionable character/leadership abilities/athletic abilities is also offensive to you. I'm really not sure there is much else to say.

If the statements hurt your feelings, then I'm sorry. But you are perpetuating lies/rumors/innuendo about a player on my football team. A kid who busted his ass, even when he was hurt. You've made accusations, called into questions many things about the leader of my football team, without a shred of evidence. Then when asked to provide evidence, you say "It's not entirely impossible that it could be true, so I'm going to believe it." Seriously.

You also continue to play the victim card, and accuse us of attacking you. That's simply not true. We've simply asked for you to provide evidence to your claims (which you pass as fact) and you haven't delivered. Then, when pressed, you deflect and derail. Calling me a Martinez lover isn't helping either. I was for Lee starting last year, until about 5 minutes into the WKU game. I was for benching Martinez and starting Green for the later games in the season, because it was obvious he wasn't healthy. I want the best player to start, because I want my team to win. It's becoming apparent that you're a hater. At least there's evidence for that.

I would defend any player on my team from such garbage. Whether Martinez, or the 3rd string center. I'm simply not going to stand for middle school rumor mongering. If you want to offer up your opinion, then fine. But don't pass it as fact, and don't get made when people dismiss it because there's nothing for it to stand on.

• Fire 1

Personally, I want the guy who gives us the best chance to win to play, don't care what number is on his jersey. I don't care what you think about Martinez or any other Husker player. I was just pointing out how your logic is reeeeeeally flawed Hujan.

Ding ding ding!!!! :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance

Personally, I want the guy who gives us the best chance to win to play, don't care what number is on his jersey. I don't care what you think about Martinez or any other Husker player. I was just pointing out how your logic is reeeeeeally flawed Hujan.

Ding ding ding!!!! :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance

:yeah

Why?

Because I don't like the way Martinez answers questions in an interview?

Because I don't like the fact that Martinez missed practices when he was upset he wasn't named the starter earlier than he was?

Because I don't like the fact that Pelini felt compelled to bench Martinez against Texas?

Because I don't like the fact that he chose to break team rules by calling his dad during the Texas A&M game?

Because I don't like the fact that he skipped a team meeting the next day? (Something Taylor's father admits.)

Because I don't like the fact that he appeared to not celebrate with the team when they would score later in the season?

Because I don't like the fact that Martinez appeared to be disinterested when he was on the sideline later in the season?

I am sure there is a totally benign explanation for most if not all of the above. But one could also draw some unflattering opinions about Martinez from things as well. True, his interview style could be because he is shy and introverted. Or it could be because he is a cocky SOB. Same deal with his sideline demeanor.

You guys want to criticize anyone who looks at that information and comes to the conclusion that there might be a problem with Martinez just because Bo Pelini has not come out and said, "Martinez is a diva"? Or because he hasn't yet been kicked off the team? To me that's disingenuous.

When you guys come up with benign explanations for how Taylor looked on the sideline or how he interviews, all you are doing is arguing with me about how to interpret what I saw. But I saw what I saw, and I didn't like it. You are free to disagree, but please don't disagree by insulting my intelligence.

Why?

Because I don't like the fact that Martinez missed practices when he was upset he wasn't named the starter earlier than he was?

Because I don't like the fact that Pelini felt compelled to bench Martinez against Texas?

Because I don't like the fact that he chose to break team rules by calling his dad during the Texas A&M game?

Because I don't like the fact that he skipped a team meeting the next day? (Something Taylor's father admits.)

Because I don't like the fact that he appeared to not celebrate with the team when they would score later in the season?

Because I don't like the fact that Martinez appeared to be disinterested when he was on the sideline later in the season?

I am sure there is a totally benign explanation for most if not all of the above. But one could also draw some unflattering opinions about Martinez from things as well. True, his interview style could be because he is shy and introverted. Or it could be because he is a cocky SOB. Same deal with his sideline demeanor.

You guys want to criticize anyone who looks at that information and comes to the conclusion that there might be a problem with Martinez just because Bo Pelini has not come out and said, "Martinez is a diva"? Or because he hasn't yet been kicked off the team? To me that's disingenuous.

When you guys come up with benign explanations for how Taylor looked on the sideline or how he interviews, all you are doing is arguing with me about how to interpret what I saw. But I saw what I saw, and I didn't like it. You are free to disagree, but please don't disagree by insulting my intelligence.

Are you serious? It's gotten to the point where I honestly think you're just yanking our collective chain for fun during the offseason. This cannot be real.

If you're even remotely being serious, you're setting the bar so high that several Husker legends, including Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, Joel Makovicka, Jason Peter, Mike Rozier, Gerry Gdowski, Steve Taylor and Zac Taylor can't possibly measure up. Every one of these guys has either been benched or flubbed an interview or broken team rules or missed a practice or failed to celebrate with their teammates after a TD or appeared disinterested on the sidelines. Every single one.

And you're either lying about Taylor skipping a team meeting or you're not reading very well. Or maybe you're so hell-bent on proving your point and damn the facts that you failed to notice that Taylor, according to the article you linked, missed a treatment session for his injury, not a team meeting. I mean come on, Hujan, read the article you linked to. Read where it says he's an introvert, that he's uncomfortable off the field, that he's shy.

Why not believe what you read? Why look for the worst possible explanation about a Husker?

Why?

Are you serious? It's gotten to the point where I honestly think you're just yanking our collective chain for fun during the offseason. This cannot be real.

If you're even remotely being serious, you're setting the bar so high that several Husker legends, including Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, Joel Makovicka, Jason Peter, Mike Rozier, Gerry Gdowski, Steve Taylor and Zac Taylor can't possibly measure up. Every one of these guys has either been benched or flubbed an interview or broken team rules or missed a practice or failed to celebrate with their teammates after a TD or appeared disinterested on the sidelines. Every single one.

And you're either lying about Taylor skipping a team meeting or you're not reading very well. Or maybe you're so hell-bent on proving your point and damn the facts that you failed to notice that Taylor, according to the article you linked, missed a treatment session for his injury, not a team meeting. I mean come on, Hujan, read the article you linked to. Read where it says he's an introvert, that he's uncomfortable off the field, that he's shy.

Why not believe what you read? Why look for the worst possible explanation about a Husker?

First, the "activity" Martinez missed has been described variously as a treatment session, a meeting, or a team workout session. Whatever you want to call it, Martinez decided to skip it, and it's clear from Casey Martinez's comments that it wasn't a good idea.

Second, I am being serious. Martinez did not "flub" an interview. Every time he's had the camera in his face, he acts in a manner that could be the result of an introverted personality, or it could be cockiness. I used to think it was the former, and---believe it or not---actually got into arguments with buddies where I DEFENDED Martinez. (Heart attacks, I know.) But in view of the other stuff, I have started to come around to the view that maybe he does have a bit of diva in him.

More importantly, those guys you listed may have done one or more of those things, but did they do all of them? It's the aggregate of all those things that gives me some concern about Martinez.