2012 Presidential Campaign - Obama vs. Romney

It's a given Obama will run without opposition from the Left. The only question is, who will the Republican nominee be, and can they unseat the incumbent?

The declared Republican candidates (alphabetical order):

LINK (this was the first site that came up - sorry if it's not unbiased)

Michele Bachmann

Michele Bachmann, the three terms Republican Congresswoman from Minnesota, is the current chair of

the Congressional Tea Party Caucus. The attractive Iowan, a former lawyer, officially announced her

entry into the GOP nomination race at the start of the New Hampshire Presidential Debate on June 13,

2011. Bachmann started off her political life as a Democrat before switching to the Republican

platform in her final year at Winona State University.

Herman Cain

Cancer survivor, YouTube sensation and former mathematician with the US Navy, Herman Cain has a

résumé that demands your attention. His experience on all three major fronts of American politics

- corporate, legislative and media – through his stellar career at Pillsbury, the Federal Reserve

Bank of Kansas City (as chairman) and as the host of WSB's "The Herman Cain Show" in Atlanta,

guarantees that the articulate Republican will never face a question of credibility.

Newt Gingrich

After a 13-year absence from mainstream politics, Newton Leroy Gingrich has announced his candidacy

for the Republican presidential nomination. His campaign, which kicks off with 17-city swing, has

unfortunately begun under a torrent of criticisms following his controversial statements on Medicare

and a perceived attack of fellow Republican Paul Ryan. Nevertheless, Gingrich, a fighter and above

all, a consummate politician, is expected to make a swift recovery and stamp his mark on the race.

Jon Huntsman

The 51-year old former Governor of Utah officially announced his much-anticipated entry into the

presidential race, with the Statue of Liberty spectacularly serving as the backdrop. The highly

rated and charismatic Republican technocrat is considered by many in Washington as one of most dangerous

dark horses in the race, and is one of the few capable of unseating President Obama.

Gary Johnson

The former Libertarian Republican Governor does not attend church, is pro-choice, anti-big

government, pro-immigration, an outspoken critic of the war on drugs and favors legalizing

marijuana. He led New Mexico for eight years, during which time the state saw no tax increase, and

he vetoed over 750 separate pieces of legislation to keep the government from growing. However, his

views on civil liberties, foreign policy and drugs may be difficult for many conservatives to

reconcile with.

Fred Karger

Fred Karger, one of the shrewdest Republican political operators of the past three decades,

announced the formation of his 2012 Exploratory Committee on July 18, 2010, making him the first

ever openly gay aspirant for the presidency. Despite being a lifelong Republican, the 61-year old

Karger will be running on an independent ticket. His campaign was hit with a sucker punch when he

was locked out of the Carolina Republican Party Presidential Debate of May 5, with the organizers

citing his low poll numbers as the reason.

Andy Martin

The self-professed People's Attorney General and Internet Powerhouse is famously remembered as the

source of the chain mail and online reports questioning the citizenship of President Obama and the

claim that he was a Muslim. The 66-year old Martin filed his papers as a candidate for the next

presidential election on Feb 8, and was quoted two weeks later saying, "Obama

plays for keeps. He plays rough, and that's the only way to beat him, and I'm the only one that is

tough enough to do that."

Thad McCotter

The lead guitarist for the New Flying Squirrels, who incidentally is also a five-term Representative

for Michigan's 11th District, filed his papers for the 2012 US Presidential Elections with the FEC

on July 1, 2011, and will formally announce the news during the WAAM Freedom Festival at Whitmore

Lake the following day, where he is slated to perform with his band. The news was not entirely

unexpected as McCotter revealed earlier in April his decision not to seek reelection for his House

seat.

Jimmy McMillan

The former mayoral, gubernatorial and senatorial candidate for the Rent Is Too Damn High Party

announced his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination on December last year. Explaining

his decision not to contest the Democratic nomination, a party he was formerly registered with,

karate expert McMillan was quoted as saying "the rent is too damn high." The flamboyant Vietnam

veteran also gave some words of advice to President Obama, "If you don't do your job right, I am

coming at you!"

Tom Miller

Tom Miller feels that the country is being destroyed from within chiefly through a series of failed

fiscal and immigration policies; a state of affair brought forth by an entrenched political elite.

Miller sees himself as a representative of the people, as envisioned by the Founding Fathers

themselves, and offers a solution-based approach to tackle the multitude of issues facing the

nation. Ultimately, he hopes to re-empower the American people around the concept of small

government.

Ron Paul

The former medical doctor officially announced his candidacy for the 2012 Republican Presidential

nomination on May 13, 2011. The 75-year old Texas Congressman will once again center his campaign on

the theme of liberty, human rights and financial market reforms. With his small but vocal pockets of

supporters spread all over the country, the Libertarian leaning Republican is set to be one of the

most controversial characters on the campaign trail.

Tim Pawlenty

Timothy James Pawlenty, the former two-term governor of Minnesota, is renowned for his ability to

connect with the masses. His middle class background lends him an earthy appeal to the average Joes,

not unlike the warm Texan drawl of former president George W. Bush. His time in Minnesota is

typified by his focus on grassroots issues, tackling subjects that affect them and their future. His

balancing of the state's budget and reforming of the health care is still paying off for many

Minnesotans.

Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney is considered by many in the Republican Party to be the front-runner for the 2012

nomination although his 2008 presidential campaign collapsed after a second-place caucus finish to

Mike Huckabee in Iowa, a state in which Romney had been considered strong. Romney, a Harvard

graduate, former governer and longtime venture capitalist is revered for his financial knowledge.

Many believe that Mitt Romney is the most qualified candidate to help the now struggling US economy.

Rick Santorum

The former two-term senator from Pennsylvania officially announced his entry into the GOP

Presidential nomination race on 6 June 2011, and symbolically launched his campaign at the Somerset

County Courthouse, not far from the coal mine where his grandfather first worked after arriving in

the country from Italy.

Despite his dismal poll numbers, Santorum is confident of gaining grounds on early favorite Mitt

Romney and warns, "We are going to be in this race, and we're in it to win".

Vern Wuensche

Vern Wuensche ran for President in 2008, garnering a tenth place finish in both Iowa and New

Hampshire while spending only $36,000. In 100 days he visited over 6,000 businesses and many

churches in 242 towns in both states.

Having an MBA and CPA, in 1975 he founded a construction company - now Houston's third oldest -

while remaining very active politically and becoming somewhat of an expert on presidential politics.

His belief is that businesses which survive do so through the good decisions of those who run them

and they are therefore exceptionally qualified for public office.

I believe this is all of the declared candidates from the Republican side. Most are wasting their time, of course, and are not viable candidates.

So who do you see coming out of this pack? How beatable is Obama?

4/16/11 EDIT - Romney isn't official yet, but every other viable candidate has dropped out, so I put him in the headline.

I see Mitt Romney winning the nomination. (Barring a surprise upset by a Bachmann/Palin type.) Romney will turn off a sizable portion of the Republican base because of his lengthy history of flip-flopping and having an individual mandate in his state health care legislation. That said, those people will hoot and howl about him being a "RINO" and then will vote for him anyways because they honestly believe that "anyone is better than Obama."

I think Obama still has a very good chance at winning a second term but that a lot depends on the state of unemployment at the time of the election. The Republican party has tried desperately to pin the US economic woes on Obama, but most polls show that the citizens are not buying that line . . . YET. Another year of poor job numbers and that message might gain some traction. I think that if the Democrats can stay unified with a "Republicans want to cut your social security/medicare" message then the candidates who endorsed the Paul Ryan budget will face some opposition from the crucial block of senior voters.

We'll see. I'd probably put Obama's odds for re-election at about 65% at the moment. That number will change significantly based on who the GOP candidate is (if it is Bachmann or Palin that number will shoot up to 95%) and the state of the economy over the next year.

Romney looks like the only viable candidate. But I don't see in that list a single candidate that can defeat Obama - economy or not. If Romney gets the nomination, the far-right won't go for him in huge numbers; the Tea Party folks will simply feel betrayed and will look to the next election cycle or concentrate on local elections, I'm guessing. Romney's health care plan while Governor will see to that - far too similar to the national plan, and the best Romney can come back with is, "Well, it was good for my state, but not for the nation." Huh?

Bachmann or Palin - they energize the far right/Tea Party members, and would garner some mainstream Republican voters, but will shoot themselves in the foot so often that they won't be able to capture the Independent or undecided vote.

The rest? Filler for now, and nothing more. Huntsman would be the best bet, given he's a moderate Republican, and could actually get some things done by a willingness to compromise, but stands a snowball's chance given the current tenor of the Republican party.

A sorry lot, overall, and not a serious challenger in the bunch...

I do have to say that I like the fact that Herman "Three Page Bill" Cain has some actual experience doing something in the world. It would be one thing if the lawyers brigade were in Jefferson's intellectual stratosphere, but Harvard degree + fast food slogans in place of rational discussions about government sucks the joy out of politics for me.

As of now, I think Romney is probably the only viable candidate. And that's not saying much, considering how awful that list is.

I wouldn't make any wagers on Obama's chances yet. Republicans seem to be doing all they can to prevent him from accomplishing anything, because God forbid the economy actually improves and makes Obama look good!

I don't think any on the republican candidates has a good shot at beating Obama. Bachmann is insane, and as her insanity becomes more public knowledge anyone not among the far right that wants to establish a theocracy will run from her. Cain is a black man, and I can't see the right wing base selecting anyone but a white candidate. Pawlenty and most of the rest of the group has little to no name recognition, which is a death sentence to their campaigns. Leaving Romney to win the nomination, and I just don't think he can win it all.

Bachmann is great for entertainment value alone. This woman is almost too good to be true, maybe even better than Palin.

Did you know Bachmann can cure your homosexuality? LINK

I'd give that a facepalm if it wasn't so redundant. Good lord, woman.

Cancer survivor, YouTube sensation and former mathematician with the US Navy, Herman Cain has a

résumé that demands your attention. His experience on all three major fronts of American politics

- corporate, legislative and media – through his stellar career at Pillsbury, the Federal Reserve

Bank of Kansas City (as chairman) and as the host of WSB’s "The Herman Cain Show" in Atlanta,

guarantees that the articulate Republican will never face a question of credibility.

Hmm, serious on this?

I think he destroyed his own credibility with his spiel on requiring bills to be 3 pages. What a stupid waste of breath that was.

I think Romney is the best candidate, I like him and Pawlenty.

Pawlenty doesn't seem to be getting much traction, but he's the most moderate of the Republicans in the field. We don't need any more extremists, or even people mid-left or mid-right. It's time to recover in this country, and that means everyone knocking of the partisanship, rolling up their sleeves and getting some work done.

Enough with the freakshow wingers. Let them go back to the fringe, with their appropriately-sized smaller voices.

• Fire 1

This whole thing is kinda silly, since neither side can get it's sh*t together.

This is true, but one of the sides will win the White House. Silly as it is, we have to pay attention. When we stop paying attention we may as well open the doors to the Barbarians, because we're done as a nation.