2012 Presidential Campaign - Obama vs. Romney

The way Bachmann and her husband treat gays is, by itself, enough to marginalize her. Really, look up what she says about them.

And then look up what she says about evolution.

She's a crazy, hateful, and ignorant person.

Alright, maybe she is a bit batsh&t crazy. Still, I'm willing to listen, after all, how sane can you be if you want this job. BTW sounds like alot of Iowans are listening to her too.

"Two things I just can't stand. People who are intolerant of other peoples culture and the f'ing Dutch" -Nigel Powers

Obama should be sitting in the oval office, thanking his lucky stars, that all the opposition can muster up are the group of dumbasses who I would trust to tie the shoes of a 4 year old.

This might be the worst group of candidates to oppose an incumbent president in american history.

huskertim, if you are suggesting some sort of hypocrisy in the above characterizations of Bachmann, I don't get it.

Herman Cain actually backed off of this statement, but I still think the fact that he originally made such a statement shows some seriously questionable judgment - and misplaced priorities - and maybe a small disconnect with reality - on his part.

Engage the people. Don’t try to pass a 2,700 page bill — and even they didn’t read it! You and I didn’t have time to read it. We’re too busy trying to live — send our kids to school. That’s why I am only going to allow small bills — three pages. You’ll have time to read that one over the dinner table.

With the shape of the economy Obama should have a real fight on his hand to get re-elected. His best ally at the moment is the GOPs insistence on electing absolutely crazy people. Romney's bland flip flopping gives the GOP it's best chance at success . . . but apparently Bachmann and W. Bush the Second are serious contenders. Astounding.

Who's W.Bush the Second?

I don't mind flip-flopping actually. You should be allowed to come to different conclusions and opinions over the years. I don't know why people value a candidate who "sticks to his guns"; that is, blindly holding platform opinions regardless of anything else. What does that show, conviction, I guess?

http://www.economist.com/node/21525627

Good article I found.

[Mr Obama] was elected as a moderate Democrat, prepared to engage any pragmatic solution to obvious problems, while not splitting an already polarized country even further.

That he has tried to do, against an opposition party that decided to double down on polarization, on politics as warfare, on politics as a game, and bereft of any ideas except taking us back to before the New Deal. What has to be defeated is not just their agenda, but their modus operandi. Only by patiently out-lasting and out-arguing them will Obama be able to do this. And it says a lot about the utopian left that they do not see the wisdom and responsibility of this strategy.

I am sickened by GOP political grandstanding. Any candidate of any party who participates in that, may as well GTFO, in my opinion. Pragmatism, compromise, and working together are what this country needs. Of course one party can refuse to do anything remotely reasonable and thereby sink any efforts of national improvement from any side, in a bid to showcase the incompetence of "the other side" while shirking their own responsibility in the matter. Enough taking back "your" America, it's everyone's America. Take that partisan rhetoric and shove it!

Alright, maybe she is a bit batsh&t crazy. Still, I'm willing to listen, after all, how sane can you be if you want this job. BTW sounds like alot of Iowans are listening to her too.

"Two things I just can't stand. People who are intolerant of other peoples culture and the f'ing Dutch" -Nigel Powers

Bachmann won the Iowa poll because she spent a ton of money.

http://www.unelected.org/how-michele-bachmann-bought-the-ames-straw-poll

And I don't consider bigotry and ignorance to be "culture", if that's what you're implying. It's bigotry and ignorance.

Who's W.Bush the Second?

I don't mind flip-flopping actually. You should be allowed to come to different conclusions and opinions over the years. I don't know why people value a candidate who "sticks to his guns"; that is, blindly holding platform opinions regardless of anything else. What does that show, conviction, I guess?

I think a distinction needs to be made between people changing their views over the years according to their life experience, etc, and blatantly changing your position to reflect what you think will get you elected. I would say someone like Romney is a "true" "flip-flopper" (I still hate that term)

That is an important distinction, and while I'm not too familiar with Romney, I can sort of see that. He's been a little slippery in how he chooses to present himself and his views. The thing I don't like is when candidates change soap boxes depending on what they think will win them any particular election. I guess everyone does that. Would much rather an honest candidate who changes his mind and explains why, without worrying about offending various sections of voters.

I don't really think candidates' own opinions on stuff matters that much. There are so many advisers chirping in their ear and giving their takes on their own areas of expertise. In that sense, how a candidate approaches problem-solving is more important. Having an open mind, being practical, showing flexibility and willing to compromise, and not letting preconceived biases rule, these are the important traits a smart president must have. In stark contrast to "I'm sticking to my guns, this is what I think is right, and I'm gonna sell you on it, and I'm gonna push it through."

A president doesn't need to be an expert economist, or military tactician, or whatever and whatever, he will be surrounded by these kinds of people. He needs to know how to take in information and make decisions.

Here's another Bachmann quote.

Now I'm cherry-picking here, but it's downright terrifying, this woman.

“So if in fact there is a nation who is compliant with all the rules ahead of time … if they fire against the United States, a biological weapon, a chemical weapon, or maybe a cyber attack, then we aren’t going to be firing back with nuclear weapons?

I am baffled how Bachmann won the straw poll, I would tend to think Bob Vander Plaats army of religious fruit loops had a hand. My view on this woman is that she is completely out of her mind. I am with the majority that the GOP does not have a solid candidate that will seriously challenge Obama.

I am baffled how Bachmann won the straw poll, I would tend to think Bob Vander Plaats army of religious fruit loops had a hand. My view on this woman is that she is completely out of her mind. I am with the majority that the GOP does not have a solid candidate that will seriously challenge Obama.

I don't know how Bachmann won, or why, but the results are hardly binding, or indicative of who's going to get the GOP nomination. They've done this thing five other times, and three of those five times the winner of the straw poll didn't even get the GOP nomination (Bush in 1979, Pat Robertson in 1987 & Mitt Romney in 2007).

This straw poll is meaningless. Feel free to ignore it.