Fan Day 2011

Looks like change is in the air. For the first time that I can think of, Fan Day will NOT be held on the first day of Fall Camp.

This year's Fan Day will be held Friday, August 5th, in the afternoon. Odd timing, but it makes sense for the players. That's a lot of stuff to throw at them the first day of camp.

Husker Fan Day Set for August 5

Nebraska fans can circle Friday, Aug. 5, as the unofficial start of football season. That day will be the annual Fan Day at Memorial Stadium. Fan Day represents the best opportunity for fans to meet and greet this year's team before the start of practice the following day.

Fan Day will run from 2 to 3:30 p.m. inside Memorial Stadium with all Husker players and coaches that will be part of fall camp in attendance and available to the fans. The Friday afternoon event is a departure from Fan Day being on a weekend in previous years, but allows the team to meet with its fans before beginning a busy practice and meetings schedule the following day.

Huskers Authentic will be open on Fan Day and will have brand new adidas products, as well as this year's media guides and schedule posters. More information on Fan Day, including parking and gate information and a Fan Day map, will be available on Huskers.com as the event draws closer.

I'm going to merge this with the other thread in a second, but here's the answer to your questions...

You should arrive at least an hour, if not two hours, before it starts. I know that may sound excessive, but the line to enter was at least three blocks long last year. It may be shorter this year due to it being on a weekday, but I'm betting it's not a lot shorter.

I would not plan on getting to everyone. Again, that will be based on the attendance, but I doubt seriously you'll get all the players, or even most of them. Most lines are 100 people deep, and the QB line is 150-200 people deep. Same goes for the RBs. There are just a LOT of people, and a lot of players, and not much time.

Last year they had folks enter the stadium at two points, both on the south side, through the walkways that lead to the SW and SE corners of the field. There should be signs that tell you which gate will get you to which position group, like one gate takes you to the defense first and the other takes you to the offense first.

Honestly, it's a bit of a mess on the field.

anybody over the age of 14 asking for an autograph should be kicked out!

Why should autographs just be for kids? I don't have any use for autographs, so don't think I'm one of those guys.... I'm just not understanding why adults shouldn't get them.

Isn't that like saying adults shouldn't try to catch foul balls, we should let the kids have them? I go after fouls when I'm at a game. I figure those kids have their whole lives to catch a foul ball, while me - I'm half dead already! I don't have the time to wait! :D

True story - I got a foul ball at a SaltDogs game their first year in Lincoln. Bounced in some empty seats and rolled down to me. All I had to do was pick it up. I'd been looking for a foul ball for 25 years, from a kid to an adult, and that was my first.

But there's this little guy, like four years old or something, sitting two seats away from me giving me these puppy-dog eyes all game long. ALL GAME LONG. About the sixth inning or so he's turning into a pumpkin so his mom packs him up to go home, and he leaves with this one last, heartbreaking look. So.... like a schmoe, after waiting all those years, I chased the kid and mom halfway up the steps and gave him the ball.

I got a standing ovation from our section as I went back down. My wife was super proud of me and I got a reward when we got home ;)

BUT. I'm 40 and I still have no foul ball from any game, ever, anywhere.

So screw those kids. I'm getting my foul ball when the time comes. No more puppy-dog eyes.

I can just imagine it's the same for guys who collect autographs.

• Fire 1

Why? if I get an autographed football from Martinez there's already a good chance that he goes pro. Maybe he'll become one of the greatest QBs of all time, and that football will be worth a fortune!

So screw those kids. I'm getting my foul ball when the time comes. No more puppy-dog eyes.

Damn right knapp, push the weaklings out of the way. You go for the ball!!!!!

But alas, I do have a collection of foul balls/homerun balls(SaltDogs, Huskers, and College World Series). Also have three game balls from the Cubs and one from the Royals when players toss them into the stands. And yes once there may have been an I am bigger kid so the ball is mine.

Why should autographs just be for kids? I don't have any use for autographs, so don't think I'm one of those guys.... I'm just not understanding why adults shouldn't get them.

Isn't that like saying adults shouldn't try to catch foul balls, we should let the kids have them? I go after fouls when I'm at a game. I figure those kids have their whole lives to catch a foul ball, while me - I'm half dead already! I don't have the time to wait! :D

True story - I got a foul ball at a SaltDogs game their first year in Lincoln. Bounced in some empty seats and rolled down to me. All I had to do was pick it up. I'd been looking for a foul ball for 25 years, from a kid to an adult, and that was my first.

But there's this little guy, like four years old or something, sitting two seats away from me giving me these puppy-dog eyes all game long. ALL GAME LONG. About the sixth inning or so he's turning into a pumpkin so his mom packs him up to go home, and he leaves with this one last, heartbreaking look. So.... like a schmoe, after waiting all those years, I chased the kid and mom halfway up the steps and gave him the ball.

I got a standing ovation from our section as I went back down. My wife was super proud of me and I got a reward when we got home ;)

BUT. I'm 40 and I still have no foul ball from any game, ever, anywhere.

Why? if I get an autographed football from Martinez there's already a good chance that he goes pro. Maybe he'll become one of the greatest QBs of all time, and that football will be worth a fortune!

As an adult I have never been impressed or fasinated enough by any sports figure or movie star to feel the need to have their autograph, seems like a kids thing to me. Now if I had the chance to pick 2 or 3 people to sit down and talk to for an hour or so I would be all over that. As far as the million dollar autograph goes, I guess if Martinez goes pro I will kick my kids butt for not getting it when he had the chance.

I think they point people are trying to make is that seeing an adult take a little kids spot to get an autograph is lame.

Maybe they should have a kids fan day. 16 and under of course even with that you would see the crazy older fans stuffing their kids with things to sign for their "Husker Room" at home.

This is why kids are nefarious. Look at this little guy! See what I'm on about! There is NO WAY this would work for me. THIS KID has a ball, and I don't. Because he's a young little chap and cute and funny and he has a funny pout and the guys on TV felt bad for him. BAH! :steam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSmX-X7KqfA

:(

U mad bro?: Young Giants fan pouts big time over foul ball

If a picture is worth 1,000 words, the screen cap of this young boy's death glare at Tuesday's San Francisco Giants game has to be worth at least 10 times that, right?

Oh, mini misery, how you make us laugh! Unbeknownst to the happy people sitting in front of him, this young lad is pouting over a foul ball he missed during the fourth inning of a game with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The man to our left of the woman actually wrangled the ball — bruising his hand in the process — and presented it to her as a gift.

That left the li'l Tiny Tim to grouse and grumble to his father for our enjoyment.

u_mad_bro.jpg

Two notes here: First, it's funny to see that the other young boy in the frame isn't fazed in the slightest. He's really into what will end up being a 5-3 Giants win.

Second, I'm divided on whether the foul ball catchers did the right thing by keeping the ball for themselves and not handing it one row up to the little boy. I belong to the school of thought that only two things excuse you from giving away a foul ball to the closest child — giving it to a child you're at the game with or handing it to a date you're trying to impress. (If she wants to gift it away, fine, but let the choice be hers.)

Luckily, the little boy didn't go empty-handed. After laughing at several replays and comparing the kid to Ralphie from "A Christmas Story," the Giants television announcers arranged to have a couple of baseballs delivered to both boys. So all's well that ends well.

I am going to try this pouting tactic with my wife tonight. If I don't get some, I am officially never ever ever ever going to be nice to another kid at a baseball game ever again, and I will NOT give my foul ball to a kid if I ever get one again, WHICH I WON'T BECAUSE I'M OLD AND I'LL DIE FIRST. But still. Bah.