Texas A&M is rattling the SEC sabre again because of ESPN 8: The Bevo

Link

If you have followed my thoughts on the matter recently, President Loftin has told A&M donors privately that the Big 12-2 deal in its current form was not an ideal solution for Texas A&M, and acknowledged that the sweetheart deal Texas has with ESPN as he said “is a problem for us.”

In fact, Loftin has made it crystal clear to A&M people who ask that the university has not signed anything that legally binds A&M to the new Big 12 despite what has been released to the public.

...the SEC felt they could get a new deal by expansion of two teams to get the networks to the table and that a priority was Texas A&M. In fact, my source claims that the SEC has/had Clemson ready to go and they were simply waiting to see if Texas A&M could get their ducks in a row and leave the Big 12.

So, to bring this to a conclusion, I think the big news that has people buzzing is that the A&M leadership that has been mostly hesitant of breaking away from Texas and the Big 12 over the past 13 months now see that the current situation is not feasible in the long-term.

I think the big news from all of this is that Texas A&M leadership privately does not see the Big 12-2 as a good long-term fit for the university. Given the public statements of leadership in support of the new Big 12 in the spring and the resulting apathy from the general fan base to realignment, I see that as pretty significant…if not immediate.

This is one bonfire that is just heating up, but will be remembered for the ages.

As the saga continues...

UT will be independent before you know it, IMO. It's too bad that no one else seen this coming.

I think A&M does now...one year too late. Dr. Tom should send $ Bill Byrne a card in the mail that says "sucks to be right!"

Plus, if what they say about not approving the current version of the Big XII is indeed true, Texas may have made a significant tactical error...

I think A&M fan and Alumni eyes were open, but when you start talking about anything in Texas you have a lot more behind the scenes politics and egos involved then just school administration and all the players seem to like to throw their weight around.

The more curious bit of that article to me was the SEC bracing for 3 to 4 more schools to drop scandals on top of the already well known and still-being-investigated Auburn scandal.

I think A&M fan and Alumni eyes were open, but when you start talking about anything in Texas you have a lot more behind the scenes politics and egos involved then just school administration and all the players seem to like to throw their weight around.

The more curious bit of that article to me was the SEC bracing for 3 to 4 more schools to drop scandals on top of the already well known and still-being-investigated Auburn scandal.

Yes, A&M is in between a rock and a hard place right now because of those factors. As for the SEC schools, I'm just as curious as you are living amongst many SEC fans, but I've been hearing LSU and Tennessee for certain not sure of the fourth school. Although not an SEC school GA Tech has to vacate their 2009 ACC title due to violations.

Back when all of this was going on, the blue-haired A&M fans wanted to maintain tradition, playing UT, blah blah blah and adamantly opposed a move to the SEC. The vast majority of under-40 A&M fans, though, wanted to move. Since we're talking about $ Bill Byrne here, and the blue-haired folks are typically your best boosters, $ Bill naturally went where the boosters were at.

That's why this article shocks me--Texas has pissed off the blue-haired A&M boosters soooooooooo much that they're willing to walk lockstep with the young'uns now.

And folks thinking the Texas Legislature won't let A&M leave should think again. Texas is desperate to find a fall guy in all of this--look at the anti-Nebraska derp that Texas commanded when our independence day occurred. A&M asking to leave would trigger a second conference realignment--the perfect cover of night for Texas to slip out of the Big XII under and declare independence, complete with their own network, guilt-free. Of course there would be posturing, but when the vote happens, Texas will vote to allow A&M to leave.

What's interesting is that the SEC would take Clemson--I wonder if Oklahoma would steal Clemson's ticket should the Big XII be without Texas and A&M...

But if Texas A&M and Oklahoma leave, then that MUST mean those teams can't ever beat Texas at anything now!1!!1!1!1! It POSSIBLY couldn't be anything political, stability, or financial issues that would cause teams to leave the Big XII, only results on the field are why teams are leaving and nothing else is related to that!!11!11!1!ONE11!1!

:sarcasm

What a mess. I came across this rumor and didn't know how long it had been out, so I decided to do some more research. After doing 2 pages of google search about A&M to the SEC, all I have to say is, thank god we got out when we did. I wouldn't want to imagine what we would be thinking if we didn't get our Big Ten invitation.

Do what you gotta do A&M. If A&M leaves I think that will spell the true end to the Big XII. Oklahoma will have to see the writing on the wall, with BevoESPN network. Yeah yeah, Nebraska was going to start their own network, but that's because Texas wouldn't sign off on a Big XII network, which is causing tons of problems between the Big XII schools now. Imagine if the OU/Texas game would be the game to air on BEVO network only, it would be utter chaos in Sooner and Big XII land.

It was interesting to read that A&M is not legally bound by Texas legislature, and fans/alumni are upset enough at this BEVO network that they are pondering other options.

The only thing we Husker fans can tell our former Big XII brethren: We told you so.

What's interesting is that the SEC would take Clemson--I wonder if Oklahoma would steal Clemson's ticket should the Big XII be without Texas and A&M...

Clemson is more like an SEC school than 5 or 6 of the schools in the SEC...plus they need an East representative and a West rep.

Hey, KC. I was wondering where you'd got to. Good offseason?

I think Clemson makes a VERY strong case for SEC membership over Oklahoma. Not sure what the Sooners would do with themselves if Texas left them.

Clemson is more like an SEC school than 5 or 6 of the schools in the SEC...plus they need an East representative and a West rep.

Hey, KC. I was wondering where you'd got to. Good offseason?

I think Clemson makes a VERY strong case for SEC membership over Oklahoma. Not sure what the Sooners would do with themselves if Texas left them.

Clemson is probably the most SEC-like school not in the SEC, so yes they'd be a very logical choice for expansion.

Maybe OU would ask for a B1G invite and the OU vs NU annual game is revived. Imagine having the Michigan vs OSU and NU vs OU rivalries in the same conference. Huge!!! Also, allowing OU to continue the Red River Shootout with video rights on alternate years. Another HUGE feather.

Lastly, I think OU would prefer playing in a conference that included NU without Texa$$.

Maybe OU would ask for a B1G invite and the OU vs NU annual game is revived. Imagine having the Michigan vs OSU and NU vs OU rivalries in the same conference. Huge!!! Also, allowing OU to continue the Red River Shootout with video rights on alternate years. Another HUGE feather.

Lastly, I think OU would prefer playing in a conference that included NU without Texa$$.

OU won't get in because they're not members of the AAU.

:blink::wacko: