Curious Buckeye fan

I never advocated for the death penalty nor do I think OSU will get it. I do, however, think that Tressel had some issues that were brought to light and I don't think the book is closed on it. Given the fact that under your old AD he was rated poorly in timeliness of bringing possible infractions up, I think there's reason to believe that's just how he operates. If someone is consistanly late to work, yet they tell you they haven't been, do you believe their word?

And thanks for clarifying about Troy Smith, but I was saying he was cheating because he knew not reporting the inelligle players was against NCAA rules.

lol at the OSU fans who admit that cheating happened before 1999, and after 2009, but are convinced nothing happened in between there. How naive can you be?

I don't know what happened with the NCAA ruling. My best guess is Ohio State hired Johnny Cochran to do his Chewbacca defense.

I didn't admit to cheating before. I said for the sake of argument without knowing full details nor knowing how YSU operates, I'm not going to argue that point because I knew little about that side.

I guess I should just say Nebraska's been cheating since Cody Glenn

What do u mean by nebraska cheating since cody glenn?

lol at the OSU fans who admit that cheating happened before 1999, and after 2009, but are convinced nothing happened in between there. How naive can you be?

I don't know what happened with the NCAA ruling. My best guess is Ohio State hired Johnny Cochran to do his Chewbacca defense.

I didn't admit to cheating before. I said for the sake of argument without knowing full details nor knowing how YSU operates, I'm not going to argue that point because I knew little about that side.

Cody Glenn got kicked off the team immediately, and it wasn't until months later that anyone even knew why.

Ohio State conducted a cover-up that they only let up on when the media (SI in particular) had them on their heels, and they even knowingly played 5 ineligible players in a BCS bowl game.

Big difference.

Also - to Coqui - you say you can't use Troy Smith as proof of cheating b/c he was suspended, but that makes no sense whatsoever. He was CAUGHT. He was PUNISHED. I think it's pretty evident, even from Tressel's comments that were released in the dialogue, that he knew what he was about to do (not tell the staff at OSU or the compliance department or report it or whatever) was wrong. Some would say that playing inelligible players would be cheating. Tressel did just that.

He was caught by Ohio State. He was punished by Ohio State. Ohio State told the NCAA and the NCAA accepted the punishment Ohio State gave Smith. How is that proof of Tressel cheating? That's why you can't use Smith.

The things people clamoring for the death penalty always seem to forget, is that Ohio State self reported these violations. Without Ohio State self reporting, 99% of the ammo you guys (those who want the death penalty) would never be exposed.

But next time someone needs to use a phone to contact a hospital, I guess we should just tell them to f#*k off. No need to give opposing fanbases ammo after all.

(Yes, that was one of the 10 straight years of violations that people mention)

Oh brother, nobody in their right mind thinks Ohio State should get the death penalty, so stop with that. But not getting "Failure to monitor" is a joke.

Cody Glenn got kicked off the team immediately, and it wasn't until months later that anyone even knew why.

Ohio State conducted a cover-up that they only let up on when the media (SI in particular) had them on their heels, and they even knowingly played 5 ineligible players in a BCS bowl game.

Big difference.

I dont remeber what cody glenn did i just know that he got kicked off the team and went else where

Big difference.

I dont remeber what cody glenn did i just know that he got kicked off the team and went else where

The rumor has always been that he was kicked off the team for selling his tickets, but I don't think that was ever confirmed by the athletic department. All the coaches ever said was that he broke team rules.

Big difference.

It isn't different at all. A Player said something happened (sold his tickets) and there's no concrete evidence other than the player saying it. This was not reported to the NCAA as a violation (which it would be if true) thus Nebraska hid this allowing them to play without any consequences.

(I don't think Nebraska's really a cheater but you can easily see the comparison.)

And the NCAA told Ohio State to play the players. But I guess people conveniently forget that Ohio State actually suspended those 5 for the bowl games until the NCAA re-instated them. So, they were eligible for the bowl game. So why are they vacating that win? We don't know and it doesn't make sense since the allegations that arose when they were first suspended hadn't changed at all (regardless of when you read them, anything that happened was reported in December)

Big difference.

It isn't different at all. A Player said something happened (sold his tickets) and there's no concrete evidence other than the player saying it. This was not reported to the NCAA as a violation (which it would be if true) thus Nebraska hid this allowing them to play without any consequences.

(I don't think Nebraska's really a cheater but you can easily see the comparison.)

And the NCAA told Ohio State to play the players. But I guess people conveniently forget that Ohio State actually suspended those 5 for the bowl games until the NCAA re-instated them. So, they were eligible for the bowl game. So why are they vacating that win? We don't know and it doesn't make sense since the allegations that arose when they were first suspended hadn't changed at all (regardless of when you read them, anything that happened was reported in December)

No, Nebraska didn't allow Glenn to play without any consequences. They kicked him off the team.

Big difference.

No, Nebraska didn't allow Glenn to play without any consequences. They kicked him off the team.

And did not report it to the NCAA. Therein lies the violation. Regardless of what you did with the player, if the NCAA hasn't had a say in it, it's still a violation you're skipping. That's how you skirted the consequences (allegedly)

Big difference.

And did not report it to the NCAA. Therein lies the violation. Regardless of what you did with the player, if the NCAA hasn't had a say in it, it's still a violation you're skipping. That's how you skirted the consequences (allegedly)

After looking back at the incident, the University refutes the idea that he was kicked off the team for selling tickets. They say that "Cody was trying to represent himself better" and that there was no evidence of a violation, just that Cody was kicked off the team for breaking team rules. In that case, nothing needed to be reported to the NCAA. It was an internal matter.

On the other hand, Sports Illustrated pretty thoroughly reported on the violations which took place at Ohio State all throughout Tressel's tenure. It wasn't an isolated incident with just a few players that occurred only recently - it was consistent ignorance and "failure to monitor" that goes back a decade.

As we move into the modern age, the first actual piece of new information is the allegation that an additional 22 other players had been playing the 'gear for tats' game.

Per SI, nine of those 22 are current players and nine are players who might fall under the four-year statute of limitations window.

Of the nine current players, five of them have had their parents or high school coaches come out and deny the allegations since the players themselves have been advised to keep quiet.

There are various reports that eight of the nine have already been cleared by Ohio State of any wrongdoing, but the NCAA has yet to have their say on the matter.

Given the stark denials and the reports of possible clearings, there really don't appear to be too much to these allegations.

If something is actually found to have occurred, we already know the punishment that would be handed out, and if you'll recall, the last round of punishments didn't involve punishing the University.

The numbers - if they are real - add up and eventually the NCAA's barrel would have to be pointed squarely at Ohio State as well as any guilty players.

If all that comes out of this is an additional player being found to have committed an infraction, then it would be a surprise if any additional punishment would be handed down to the University.

Regarding the nine former players who are still inside the statute of limitations, Ray Small and Rob Rose both admit to accepting benefits.

Jermale Hines and Devon Torrence deny the allegations, as do Lamaar Thomas and Doug Worthington. Donald Washington and Thaddeus Gibson declined to comment, and they would likely do the same to the NCAA as well.

Jermil Martin is alleged to have traded a watch and Rose Bowl tickets for a Chevy Tahoe. While we don't know for sure if this account is entirely accurate, Ohio State felt confident enough that Martin did something wrong that they contacted Ashland University, where Martin had transferred, and advised the university that there were problems with Martin's NCAA eligibility.

All tolled, three of the 22 players readily admit, or have had Ohio State readily admit, that they committed NCAA violations. Twelve have openly denied any wrongdoing, or at least have had somebody deny it for them. Two declined to comment (not including the rumored ninth current Buckeye who has yet to be cleared) and four unknowns, who likely fall outside the statute timeframes.

So basically there are three players who would face NCAA sanctions based on what we know now, and they're already gone.

This isn't exactly a compelling defense. "Well, we did have infractions, but it was so long ago that who really cares anymore? Surely we shouldn't be punished for that stuff that happened all of 10 years ago," along with, "Well, out of all 22 players, about half of them deny it."

Sports Illustrated has more ability to investigate this matter and get to the truth then the NCAA does. If your defense is, "Well the NCAA didn't find anything wrong with it," then that's pretty weak. The NCAA couldn't find much on Cam Newton either - the NCAA blows at its job.

As we move into the modern age, the first actual piece of new information is the allegation that an additional 22 other players had been playing the 'gear for tats' game.

Per SI, nine of those 22 are current players and nine are players who might fall under the four-year statute of limitations window.

Of the nine current players, five of them have had their parents or high school coaches come out and deny the allegations since the players themselves have been advised to keep quiet.

There are various reports that eight of the nine have already been cleared by Ohio State of any wrongdoing, but the NCAA has yet to have their say on the matter.

Given the stark denials and the reports of possible clearings, there really don't appear to be too much to these allegations.

If something is actually found to have occurred, we already know the punishment that would be handed out, and if you'll recall, the last round of punishments didn't involve punishing the University.

The numbers - if they are real - add up and eventually the NCAA's barrel would have to be pointed squarely at Ohio State as well as any guilty players.

If all that comes out of this is an additional player being found to have committed an infraction, then it would be a surprise if any additional punishment would be handed down to the University.

Regarding the nine former players who are still inside the statute of limitations, Ray Small and Rob Rose both admit to accepting benefits.

Jermale Hines and Devon Torrence deny the allegations, as do Lamaar Thomas and Doug Worthington. Donald Washington and Thaddeus Gibson declined to comment, and they would likely do the same to the NCAA as well.

Jermil Martin is alleged to have traded a watch and Rose Bowl tickets for a Chevy Tahoe. While we don't know for sure if this account is entirely accurate, Ohio State felt confident enough that Martin did something wrong that they contacted Ashland University, where Martin had transferred, and advised the university that there were problems with Martin's NCAA eligibility.

All tolled, three of the 22 players readily admit, or have had Ohio State readily admit, that they committed NCAA violations. Twelve have openly denied any wrongdoing, or at least have had somebody deny it for them. Two declined to comment (not including the rumored ninth current Buckeye who has yet to be cleared) and four unknowns, who likely fall outside the statute timeframes.

So basically there are three players who would face NCAA sanctions based on what we know now, and they're already gone.

This isn't exactly a compelling defense. "Well, we did have infractions, but it was so long ago that who really cares anymore? Surely we shouldn't be punished for that stuff that happened all of 10 years ago," along with, "Well, out of all 22 players, about half of them deny it."

Sports Illustrated has more ability to investigate this matter and get to the truth then the NCAA does. If your defense is, "Well the NCAA didn't find anything wrong with it," then that's pretty weak. The NCAA couldn't find much on Cam Newton either - the NCAA blows at its job.

This wasn't a defense. This is more pointing out what's truly there without the sensationalism done by media. However, you're wrong in some things. The NCAA has access to the emails that the media is currently suing Ohio State for.

Cheating has long been a problem in every sport, tired of hearing about how dirty college football is when no other sport is better. JT the Brick has been big on bashing college football. Spygate with the Patriots, roid era in the Majors, Tim Donaghy called out the NBA refs, and you get the same violations with NCAA basketball look at Memphis.