Official HB Good Beer Thread

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Been getting a little burned out on Sam Adams Octoberfest so thought I’d try a different one this year. Picked up a sixer of Bells Octoberfest Marzen yesterday. Haven’t tried it yet (I was just excited to see that my local store is finally carrying some Bells brews). Would’ve got some Two-Hearted if I had more room in the fridge right now.

large_5461e82b-ca85-44c7-8010-f9e1735703

beer-4133_8098a_hd.jpeg

Two-Hearted is my favorite beer of all time. Wish it wasn't so expensive out here. Idk if I've had their Oktoberfest or not. 

Do you like sours at all? Peculiar Ales in Windsor has some really great stuff. 

We hit up Zwei here in Fort Collins yesterday. German style brewery. Their Schwarzbier is my favorite but they had a new food truck, The Pierogi Factory. It's run by a legit dude from Poland. Everything was freaking delicious. Keep an eye out for that one

19 minutes ago, GSG said:

Two-Hearted is my favorite beer of all time. Wish it wasn't so expensive out here. Idk if I've had their Oktoberfest or not. 

We hit up Zwei here in Fort Collins yesterday. German style brewery. Their Schwarzbier is my favorite but they had a new food truck, The Pierogi Factory. It's run by a legit dude from Poland. Everything was freaking delicious. Keep an eye out for that one

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to check those out.

46 minutes ago, GSG said:

I will keep an eye out for the Pierogi Factory truck for sure.

Need to get over there and give Zwei a try. I’m not a fan of sours but I haven’t tried very many either.

I think the Bell’s Two Hearted, Oberon and Octoberfest were all $9.99 a six pack. Pretty much in line with most all of the micros so not bad. That was at Coral Bay wine and spirits in west Greeley. They also have a place over at Centerra by Scheels (but their selection is less than the one in Greeley).

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Been getting a little burned out on Sam Adams Octoberfest so thought I’d try a different one this year. Picked up a sixer of Bells Octoberfest Marzen yesterday. Haven’t tried it yet (I was just excited to see that my local store is finally carrying some Bells brews). Would’ve got some Two-Hearted if I had more room in the fridge right now.

large_5461e82b-ca85-44c7-8010-f9e1735703

beer-4133_8098a_hd.jpeg

BTW, the Bell’s Octoberfest is really good. Might be recency bias or just because it’s different than Sam Adams but it seems to be maybe a little more authentic and more “German” (if that makes any sense).

• 1 month later...

12 hours ago, RedDenver said:

It sounds horrific. But I've been surprised before. Has anyone tried this?

Horrific….why? Chocolate is really good in stouts and porters.  One of my all time favs was a chocolate cherry bock I had at an Eagles hockey game about 6 years ago,

Now if it’s regular Yeunglings with Hershey syrup….no thanks. I tried Yeungling once and didn’t like it but it was after a few ultra hoppy IPAs so nothing prob tasted right by then. :D

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Horrific….why? Chocolate is really good in stouts and porters.  One of my all time favs was a chocolate cherry bock I had at an Eagles hockey game about 6 years ago,

Now if it’s regular Yeunglings with Hershey syrup….no thanks. I tried Yeungling once and didn’t like it but it was after a few ultra hoppy IPAs so nothing prob tasted right by then. :D

I think you might be the first beer guy I've known that didn't like Yeungling.  

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The chocolate flavor in stouts and porters is not from actual chocolate. Plus Hershey's is mediocre to bad chocolate. And yes, I'm imagining Hershey's syrup in a Yeunglings, but that's probably not what it actually is.

13 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

I have a friend in Pennsylvania that says it's a great beer.

Interesting, thanks

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think you might be the first beer guy I've known that didn't like Yeungling.  

I'm a bit of a beer snob myself, and I think Yuengling sucks!

I prefer darker beers, and their Black and Tan is decent, but there are so many better beers out there so it is never even on my list. Now, I am curious about the Hershey beer because I do enjoy a chocolate stout. Yuengling is sold in my neck of the woods, so I may consider it if I see it, simply due to the novelty of it. But since it is fall and there are so many great beers available this time of year, I'm pretty likely to bypass the Yuengling altogether. 

5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I'm a bit of a beer snob myself, and I think Yuengling sucks!

I prefer darker beers, and their Black and Tan is decent, but there are so many better beers out there so it is never even on my list. Now, I am curious about the Hershey beer because I do enjoy a chocolate stout. Yuengling is sold in my neck of the woods, so I may consider it if I see it, simply due to the novelty of it. But since it is fall and there are so many great beers available this time of year, I'm pretty likely to bypass the Yuengling altogether. 

I can see if you prefer darker beers like stouts that you wouldn't like a lighter beer like Yuengling.  I typically like Ambers and brown ales.  I still think Yuengling is a pretty dang good beer for a lager.  

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The chocolate flavor in stouts and porters is not from actual chocolate. Plus Hershey's is mediocre to bad chocolate. And yes, I'm imagining Hershey's syrup in a Yeunglings, but that's probably not what it actually is.

Yeah I know, the chocolate flavor is not usually from actual added chocolate. I guess the Hershey name on it has me curious more than anything. So curious in fact that I may add a few squirts of Hersheys to some porters or nut browns I have at home. What?….it’s good in milk.:lol:

And BTW, eating a good dark chocolate while drinking a hoppy IPA is actually very complimentary. I thought it sounded gross…until I tried it.

Boulder Beer Shake

Dark Chocolate Porter :thumbs

ci-boulder-beer-shake-chocolate-porter-3

My son brought me one of these today. Oh my. I’m going to buy a truckload of this stuff. Been craving a chocolate beer ever since the Yeunglings Chocolate Porter was posted and this was simply exceptional.

Boulder Beer also has another one called Shake that is a chocolate (not dark chocolate) porter. I can’t imagine it is as good as this dark one. Should be illegal.

Edit- Actually I think they only have the one “Shake” beer. I saw an older image of a can that just said chocolate porter on it. But learned they have rebranded and the difference is probably just due to the rebranding and not having an alternate variety.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1