Official HB Good Beer Thread

This beer is perhaps one of the finest Imperial Milk Stouts that I've ever sampled, and would be one of the few things I'd miss if I ever left Texas:

50970802?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

Lakewood Brewing in Garland, TX (burb of Dallas) has a hell of a brewery, and they've become so popular over a scant five or so years that their open house was packed to the gills.

CyorueqVQAAjPP3.jpg

Also, if your significant other loves ciders, Bishop Cider Company in Dallas (proper) not only makes incredible ciders for all palettes, they have their own free-to-play arcade with 100s of pinball and old-school arcade games. 

• 1 month later...

Why it's time for skeptics to reconsider the IPA

Though the American IPA is the style that perhaps best defines the craft beer movement—bold, flavorful, potent—it has its fair share of detractors. I read IPA criticism in the comments on my Beer Of The Week picks; I hear it when I’m out at bars or parties; even my colleague Gwen confessed the other day: “I stopped trying to like IPAs years ago.” Most criticism centers on the style’s bitterness, or the perception that IPAs are “hop water.” To those who, like Gwen, believe they don’t like IPAs but haven’t tasted one in years, I issue you a challenge: Try one of the new breed of American IPAs that’s risen to popularity in the past couple years.

You’ll find them labeled “hazy,” “New England-style,” “NE IPA” or with any matter of “juicy” puns in their names (see my tips for spotting them below). On the whole, they’re quite distinct from the classic examples, so much so that the governing body that oversees the annual Great American Beer Festival medals introduced a new, separate category for these “Hazy and Juicy” IPAs this year. These beers are still all about the hops, but their overall vibe is softer, less bitter, and more tropical-fruity. Sound up your alley? Give one of these new IPAs a try and they might just change your mind. Here’s two major reasons they’re making the style worth a second sip:

Fitting article since I picked this up over the weekend:

Sierra-Nevada-Hazy-Little-Thing-IPA-at-T

• Plus1 1

• 3 weeks later...

hero_2017citradelictangerine.png?sfvrsn=

weldwerks%20juicy%20bits%20(Custom).jpg

Been enjoying some fruity IPA’s lately. Weldwerks Juicy Bits is amazing.Has a grapefruit bite to it. Not exactly sure if they add grapefruit to it or if it’s from the hops they use but it’s delicious. New Belgium Citradelic is also pretty tasty.

47 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

hero_2017citradelictangerine.png?sfvrsn=

weldwerks%20juicy%20bits%20(Custom).jpg

Been enjoying some fruity IPA’s lately. Weldwerks Juicy Bits is amazing.Has a grapefruit bite to it. Not exactly sure if they add grapefruit to it or if it’s from the hops they use but it’s delicious. New Belgium Citradelic is also pretty tasty.

2nd the Citradelic!

We've snagged a few brews from Weldwerks lately. My girlfriend likes the French Toast Stout. Good stuff!

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, NUance said:

11293317267486.png

Speaking of citrus beer.  There's no better way to end a day of Midwestern heat than to hop in the pool and enjoy a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.  

If this isn't sarcasm you should never be allowed to post in this thread again!  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, FrankWheeler said:

If this isn't sarcasm you should never be allowed to post in this thread again!  

Sarcasm?  Why, no.  Not at all.  Clearly Summer Shandy isn't for everyone.  It says so right on the can:  For adventurous tastes.  Perfect for summertime fun! 

For the sake of full disclosure, I used to drink Bud Lime while in the pool.  But now I drink Summer Shandy!  Because I have adventurous tastes!  :) 

23 minutes ago, NUance said:

Sarcasm?  Why, no.  Not at all.  Clearly Summer Shandy isn't for everyone.  It says so right on the can:  For adventurous tastes.  Perfect for summertime fun! 

For the sake of full disclosure, I used to drink Bud Lime while in the pool.  But now I drink Summer Shandy!  Because I have adventurous tastes!  :) 

I've heard Leinenkugel's used to be a decent beer, but their stuff is mediocre at best now. It's now owned by MillerCoors, so it's not surprising the quality has gone down. (Turns out Miller bought them in 1988, so it's been a long time.)

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Odell's has a limited run of a "tart beer" called Sunny Rain. It's like a very mild sour, and it's really good and not an overpowering sour taste like most sours.

33276abb4b076351fb277cef35ba349e.jpg

My niece was talking about this one over the weekend, but when we went to the tap room it wasn't available. :(

30 minutes ago, NUance said:

I can only drink one Summer Shandy before I feel like I need an insulin shot